Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you put petrol down as an expense?

Options
  • 21-01-2015 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi i'm wondering if someone can clear this up for me,

Basically i'm a sole trader and i have commercial jeep which is petrol, some people are telling me i can't put it down as an expense only diesel can be put down as an expense, is this true?

Now i asked my accountant and he said you can, but then i asked a person i know who owned a courier service and he said no, if anyone can clear this up that would be great or if they could point me in the right direction! Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Hi i'm wondering if someone can clear this up for me,

Basically i'm a sole trader and i have commercial jeep which is petrol, some people are telling me i can't put it down as an expense only diesel can be put down as an expense, is this true?

Now i asked my accountant and he said you can, but then i asked a person i know who owned a courier service and he said no, if anyone can clear this up that would be great or if they could point me in the right direction! Thanks...

Yes of course, once it falls within the revenue guidelines

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/running/allowable-expenses.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

You're getting confused between a deductible business expense (which petrol used for business purposes is), and a VAT deduction (which petrol isn't).

Advertisement