Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch out for potholes

Options
  • 21-01-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

I hit a massive one in Kilcock Sunday. Cost me over a hundred to repair :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

If you can prove it then send your bill to the council, they should be covering the costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

How do I prove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Did you take a pic of the pothole after hitting it and the damage to car?

This guy did the same and now he's suing
    Pothole

I have photos of the pothole, but its no-where near as big as that sinkhole.

I couldn't see the damage, to take a picture, but could hear and smell it.

I just have the receipt from the garage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That doesn't apply in Ireland. If they repair it and don't do it properly you have a case but for a pothole that is unrepaired you can't sue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I hit a massive one in Kilcock Sunday. Cost me over a hundred to repair :mad:

Where in Kilcock?

In the main street, I was turning left to go in the square

What speed did you hit it at to cause that much damage?

Well I was turning at the time so not that fast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Send a picture of the pothole and the repair bill to KCC. They usually pay out. You pay motortax so you have a right to a reasonable service level in return.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    You pay motortax so you have a right to a reasonable service level in return.

Hahahahahahaha

Sorry - expecting something back for your tax is hilarious. I pay USC too and twice now my daughter's admission to hospital has been cancelled due to lack of beds in the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

You pay motortax so you have a right to a reasonable service level in return.

I'm sorry but that's factually incorrect.

However, sending a letter with details won't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I know of people who had their costs covered for pothole related blowouts. Give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It's worth a try, there's no harm in sending in the details and threatening action but be aware that it's unlikely to lead somewhere.

I hit a pothole in County Meath a few years ago at just the wrong angle which done some suspension damage, had to get both sides of suspension replaced then and it cost over 2 grand.

Meath County Council just sent me a letter pointing me to an old law that basically states that the council has no obligation to keep the roads in a safe state and therefore are not liable for any damage caused by a lack of repair.

As Orion says the only situation they have to pay out is if they recently carried out a repair and the repair was not done correctly leading to the damage and you can prove this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

HonalD wrote: »

I'm sorry, but it's not :)

The health service might have its problems, but the county council has paid for damage by potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

We were returning from Dublin on 19 Dec with wife and kids in the back. Accident in Kilt so decided to drive to Newbridge using the Blesington Road. Was driving slowly as the kids were sleeping in the back. As a bend, the car hit the biggest pot-hole I ever came across. It did not look large in diameter but it must have been deep. The kids woke up asking did someone hit us! I thought our 141 Superb would disintegrate. Managed o get home and next day there was a bulge on the side wall of the tyre which meant the same had to be replaced immediately. Didn't bother contacting KCC as it was 8 PM in the evening so didn't bother taking a photo.
    Not sure if it is just me but the roads are in a quite poor condition i Kildare. Repairs to potholes done by amateurs who just fill them in with asphalt without any prep work. In Newbridge, Thomastown, a relatively new strip of road (here) has a pothole patched some 4-5 times in just over one year (and will have to get done up again). That strip of road was redone some 3 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

HonalD wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but it's not :)

The health service might have its problems, but the county council has paid for damage by potholes.

Mini, there is no liability for public bodies including the DoT or Local Authorities for "a reasonable service level" in return for any tax. As I stated, your post is not factually correct.

Advertisement