Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beauty blogger things you like / don' like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

traineeacc wrote: »
    Shocked her sister is only 21 but she is a stunning girl

Same here. I thought she was actually the older of the two!

SillyBeans wrote: »
    This drives me simple too. I'm less likely to read something that's being repeatedly shoved in my face.

I know it's been mentioned before but the poor grammar and spelling from some bloggers really annoys me. I'm not perfect but if I was to write a piece for a blog that has my name, I'd make sure to proof read it at least. It just comes across as lazy and like they don't care what they write as they know it'll be read anyway. Maybe it's just how people are these days though. My spelling has gotten worse since I was at school, mainly because of spell check and auto correct and it's a shame.

(I've reread that about 5 times looking for mistakes :P )

A lack of honesty and transparency is my number one dislike in a blog. Poor spelling/grammar/sentence structure are almost on the same level. I make errors myself and often spot them as soon as I have posted here. I immediately edit my post to make amendments though. It would seem that some bloggers never read either before,or even after they do a write up. I find that so unprofessional as writing is a major component of blogging. I just noticed the following sentence on a very recent write up on a blog, "Body Shaming is something that is something that a huge number of us have to endure on a regular basis". Did the blogger think that the word "something " was required on the double in that sentence or did a loss of concentration cause them to insert it twice? Either way, the issue is, did they not re-read it and realise that it did not make sense? I really really wish the bloggers would read their material before posting and amend accordingly if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ratmouse wrote: »
    I just noticed the following sentence on a very recent write up on a blog, "Body Shaming is something that is something that a huge number of us have to endure on a regular basis". Did the blogger think that the word "something " was required on the double in that sentence or did a loss of concentration cause them to insert it twice? Either way, the issue is, did they not re-read it and realise that it did not make sense? I really really wish the bloggers would read their material before posting and amend accordingly if needed.

Owww, even reading that hurt my eyes! I looked up that blog post and actually after reading that line, it put me off reading the rest of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I just read it there, while the intention was good with the post it actually contains a lot of words without actually saying anything at all! Although the usual "you are inspirational", "amazing hun" comments followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I read a comment on a sosueme picture that said she was bringing out a clothing line. She let it slip at one of her workshops. I don't think a makeup lime would make much $$$ it would be a tough market with such good quality products to compete with. Clothing makes perfect sense and it'll do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

PLL wrote: »
    I read a comment on a sosueme picture that said she was bringing out a clothing line. She let it slip at one of her workshops. I don't think a makeup lime would make much $$$ it would be a tough market with such good quality products to compete with. Clothing makes perfect sense and it'll do well.

If it's anything like the candle fiasco then her army of worshippers will be queuing up to purchase any tat she produces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

I know she is bringing out lashes later this year too. I'm not sure how well a clothing line would be. Maybe the young teens would buy into it but I doubt my age group (32) will be running out to buy it!

Pippa's fashion factory seems to be doing very well these days. I'm going to a Tara Makeup workshop in The Westbury next month, looking forward to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

scarbouro wrote: »
    Maybe the young teens would buy into it but I doubt my age group (32) will be running out to buy it!

That is exactly who will buy it. Sure the skimpy clothes is what you think is attractive when your aged 15-21. I even see girls my age (24) with féck all on to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I'm quite familiar with a few of the British bloggers/ Youtubers and their followings are absolutely mental. They literally get attacked on the streets by groups of young teens/preteens. They could release merchandise of their leftover takeaways and they'd have an instant market. I never realised how big a following some of the Irish bloggers got until I started reading this thread and started looking up some of these 'gurus' on Facebook. It's just bizarre how people will literally go out and buy something solely on the basis that their favourite blogger recommended it. Even for the bloggers I trust, I'd never actually go out and buy something without doing some independent research, although I can't say I've a disposable income to waste on disposable goods!

I do have a small (microscopic even) blog that I originally begun for a college project. I enjoy the designing part of blogs and hope to make mine better in the coming year. However, I never would want/ imagine it becoming something I do for a living. I've noticed many bloggers have become quite detached from the real world and it's a shame to see. I respect any bloggers who have another job such as being a makeup artist etc. It just makes the blogger more legitimate in my views.

With that age as target, price will be a bit factor. Be interesting to see how it will impact her other link ups, wonder will we see a lot less of RI on the blog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

There is no way teens/students will be able to afford the likes of RI clothing prices so it will be interesting to see how that all pans out if it is a clothing line!

scarbouro wrote: »
    There is no way teens/students will be able to afford the likes of RI clothing prices so it will be interesting to see how that all pans out if it is a clothing line!

I see what you are saying but I reckon the parents will be footing the bill and that the blogger actually will make her money from that target group. You can see from her Facebook and Instagram,etc that her followers are like worshippers and will do anything to emulate her style/look/life.

That is exactly who will buy it. Sure the skimpy clothes is what you think is attractive when your aged 15-21. I even see girls my age (24) with féck all on to.

In addition to skimpy clothes, don't forget her love of all things black and white!

I can see it now; black and white Lycra/neoprene skintight dresses with cut outs at the side/halter neck/plunging neckline/backless and braless.. What's not to love ladies?!

I don't think skimpy clothes are attractive and I'm 20 :o

Luno wrote: »
    I don't think skimpy clothes are attractive and I'm 20 :o

Same here. I'm in my twenties and would never be caught in anything skimpy. I'm tall so when I wear dresses or skirts they have the tendency to look short on me but I would always balance that out with a nice top and Id never show boob and leg, I don't have much boob to begin with lol. I absolutely hated those bodycon dresses but I think they're dying out a bit now.

anna080 wrote: »
    I can see it now; black and white Lycra/neoprene skintight dresses with cut outs at the side/halter neck/plunging neckline/backless and braless.. What's not to love ladies?!

I reckon white skin tight jeans will be the order of the day too!

I reckon white skin tight jeans will be the order of the day too!

When I was around 13 I owned a pair of white, bootcut jeans. I genuinely thought they were great and wore them till they turned grey at the bottom. :o
    Safe to say I no longer like white jeans anymore! They just don't look right on anyone IMO and if I wore white pants it would clash so badly with my skin that is basically cream in colour!

Did she not do a stint selling bikinis a while back? That quickly fell away!

Did she not do a stint selling bikinis a while back? That quickly fell away!

Did she? I don't recall that!

• Advertisement

She did! I'm almost sure of it, it's a while back now but they were totally over prices and I saw them on other sites for a fraction of the price!

I've been following a blogger called Penny and Polaroids and I really like her style and her blog layout. Recently however she is bugging me. She was obviously given a free stay at the Radisson hotel Farnham Estate with the compromise that she would promote it and advertise their spa and restaurant etc.. She has instagram and facebook flooded with pics of the place and its so obvious they're for promotional purposes.

I'm a tad disappointed as she was one of the few bloggers I liked and it's sad that she has sold out like the others. Even if she said "I've been given a weekend stay for free in order to show you what this place has to offer" or something like that it wouldn't be so bad, but she's completely misleading people into thinking she booked this weekend away with her boyfriend and here they are enjoying everything it has to offer and plastering it all over social media.

Did she? I don't recall that!

Just looked back through old posts back in 2012, also jewellery and bags! Interesting looking back at old photos!!!!

I've been following a blogger called Penny and Polaroids and I really like her style and her blog layout. Recently however she is bugging me. She was obviously given a free stay at the Radisson hotel Farnham Estate with the compromise that she would promote it and advertise their spa and restaurant etc.. She has instagram and facebook flooded with pics of the place and its so obvious they're for promotional purposes.

I'm a tad disappointed as she was one of the few bloggers I liked and it's sad that she has sold out like the others. Even if she said "I've been given a weekend stay for free in order to show you what this place has to offer" or something like that it wouldn't be so bad, but she's completely misleading people into thinking she booked this weekend away with her boyfriend and here they are enjoying everything it has to offer and plastering it all over social media.

I just think personally it is sad if they think the more educated followers cannot see through the staged posts. As if anyone would go and stay in a hotel and flood their media sites with photos of the hotel and it's facilities unless they were being sponsored. I wish bloggers would stop insulting our intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's not a blog as such, but there's a Facebook page called "Style in the city" It's Penneys in o' Connell St, Limerick and seems to be run by a guy who works there. He updates pretty much daily and it's great to be able to see the stuff that coming in. I know it's Limerick, but Penneys countrywide obviously would have a lot of the same stuff.

I just think personally it is sad if they think the more educated followers cannot see through the staged posts. As if anyone would go and stay in a hotel and flood their media sites with photos of the hotel and it's facilities unless they were being sponsored. I wish bloggers would stop insulting our intelligence.

I get that they need to earn a living and will get promotional gifts. However I would place more weight on a review that tells me that rather than one that is blatendly promoting a hotel/ outfit etc. to be honest I don't even bother reading any further when it's so staged.

It's not a blog as such, but there's a Facebook page called "Style in the city" It's Penneys in o' Connell St, Limerick and seems to be run by a guy who works there. He updates pretty much daily and it's great to be able to see the stuff that coming in. I know it's Limerick, but Penneys countrywide obviously would have a lot of the same stuff.

I follow this Facebook page. It's really good. Straight to the point. Good photos and prices included on all products.

Just looked back through old posts back in 2012, also jewellery and bags! Interesting looking back at old photos!!!!

Had a snoop back to 2012! Wow, alot of noticeable changes in less than 3 years, that's all I'll say! I spotted the handbags and spikey jewellery. I had totally forgotten about them. Why did she stop doing them I wonder?

Something I really like is how the blogger Just Jordan (I know she wouldn't be for everyone) tags all her outfit posts. She tags the store names from head to toe directly on the photos of her outfits and it looks really good and is a quick way to get all the store info in one go.

• Advertisement

Had a snoop back to 2012! Wow, alot of noticeable changes in less than 3 years, that's all I'll say! I spotted the handbags and spikey jewellery. I had totally forgotten about them. Why did she stop doing them I wonder?

I know exactly what you mean!!!

Off topic but did anyone see the printed shirt dress Pippa wore yesterday to her fashion factory? Ugh she is so fab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

sibby wrote: »
    SmokeyEyes that sounds like its going to be a brilliant blog post!! Unfortunately I used to have a blog so that disqualifies me but I can't wait to read it!

Doesn't matter if you used to have one! The more the merrier:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I can't find that 'style in the city' blog on facebook and would like to check it out. Anyone have a link?

The outfits she wore both days! Amazing! I like her a lot, she seems to work hard aside from her blog, she is a mother too and she always seems to have time to answer queries of her followers. Her style is fab! I contrast her NYC trip with another bloggers from a year or so ago. Pippas was informative on places to go etc as compared to another bloggers "look at me" photos all over NYC without telling the reader anything.

Off topic but did anyone see the printed shirt dress Pippa wore yesterday to her fashion factory? Ugh she is so fab

Yes! She looked fantastic. Such a classy lady oozing elegance from top to bottom. My kinda girl!

• Advertisement

The outfits she wore both days! Amazing! I like her a lot, she seems to work hard aside from her blog, she is a mother too and she always seems to have time to answer queries of her followers. Her style is fab! I contrast her NYC trip with another bloggers from a year or so ago. Pippas was informative on places to go etc as compared to another bloggers "look at me" photos all over NYC without telling the reader anything.

You hit the nail on the head there with the comparisons. I thoroughly enjoyed Pippa's posts and photos on New York. I didn't see any point to those of the other blogger. Pippa's blog makes her seem down to earth, so demure and genuinely interested in her followers and the concept of style and fashion. What more can you ask for in ways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

panda100 wrote: »
    I can't find that 'style in the city' blog on facebook and would like to check it out. Anyone have a link?

Here you go panda100 :)

https://www.facebook.com/penneyslimerickcity/timeline?ref=page_internal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

The other one was just a case of look at me in at NY fashion week where no one else has ever been, I'm a true blogger now....UGH!

I think, if you are really so into style and fashion and are a supposed big shot fashion blogger, then the likes of Milan, Paris, New York would be already visited, several times over maybe, by this stage. Just me opinion.

Was she not dropping hints about what she would be doing over there and how she was going over to network!!! We haven't heard another work about NYC I don't think. Does she not realise it's actually not the difficult to get tickets to the shows she went to, it's the big name ones that are gold dust.

• Advertisement

I really like her. I'm so glad she turned to blogging she's my favourite out there at the moment. Felt so sad for her when her mother died but she handled it with such grace and dignity and carried on blogging too when she would have been forgiven for not. She never posts any of those tacky "haters gonna hate" quotes or any of those horrible quotes about eyebrows or whatever either.

Not sure she realises you cant just move to the states like you can with other countries! Its not that easy! Also wearing club wear to NY fashions week wasn't that impressive really! Red leather wouldn't be my idea of fashion.. but what would I know either!

Ageed. Retroflame's dress sense works well for New York I think. Although she could calm down a bit on the below the knee coats all the time. Overall, I love her style and blog though.

She has just posted that she has booked a holiday for May and is now calling herself a travel blogger,!

Jesus Christ!

I just went on for a look and its been three days since an actual beauty product was reviewed on there because it has all been photos of her! Honest its just a blog about her! She has just posted that she has booked a holiday for May and is now calling herself a travel blogger, lying on a beach does not make you a travel blogger! Jeez, im a bigger travel blogger myself!

Really? Is she really calling herself a travel blogger?! Going to Marbella year after year and Egypt year after year to the exact same spot and resort (and doing one single cultural or historical things despite Egypt being steeped in history and culture!) hardly constitutes travel blogging.

Oh god! She actually thinks she is a celebrity. Can you actually imagine how many photos of the holiday will be posted

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement