Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beauty blogger things you like / don' like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

anna080 wrote: »
    A column in The Times?!?! Jayus what has the world come to. I wouldn't think those readers would be her audience at all

Ya she has a column in magazine that comes with the Irish times on a Saturday. It really does seem out of place and I think it would be better off in the Gloss myself but we'll see how long she lasts. Fair play to her anyway for getting herself out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Ya she has a column in magazine that comes with the Irish times on a Saturday. It really does seem out of place and I think it would be better off in the Gloss myself but we'll see how long she lasts. Fair play to her anyway for getting herself out there.

It's in The Irish Sun not The Irish Times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

ratmouse wrote: »

Hahaha!!

Well we must be talking about different bloggers so because if you look at these pictures you can see the founder of beaut.ie works for the Irish times and also another blogger who I have been told by female friends also blogs on beaut.ie.

Well we must be talking about different bloggers so because if you look at these pictures you can see the founder of beaut.ie works for the Irish times and also another blogger who I have been told by female friends also blogs on beaut.ie.

• Advertisement

Bored_lad wrote: »

wrong blogger Bored_lad. This is Ireland's biggest blogger that has a new slot now with the Irish Sun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I really like Viviannadoesmakeup from England she just seems like a really nice girl and I admire her wardrobe which is quite minimalist (she is more of a beauty blogger).

Luno wrote: »
    I really like Viviannadoesmakeup from England she just seems like a really nice girl and I admire her wardrobe which is quite minimalist (she is more of a beauty blogger).

I follow her too Luno. Her blog is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

One blogger who I haven't seen mentioned on here but who I like is Melanie Murphy. There isn't a huge preamble to her videos and I really like her look. I also really like her healthy eating video's. She is the only vlogger that I would consistently watch. I also think it helps that we would have very similar skin types, i.e pale and spot/acne prone.

I hate all those my boyfriend does my makeup videos or what I think about life videos. Just show me the makeup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Not sure if its been mentioned but I enjoy Peaches and Cream blog on Facebook, believe she works for expose!

My favourite is by far Pippa, I love that she's blonde which helps me because I love to see what the lippies are like on blondes before I purchase! I went straight out and got a lippie she reviewed last week in NYC!

The blogger who shall remain nameless I follow but don't necessarily like much she wears, I think I like the drama that comes with the photos more so, often an argument! :)

I agree Sashafierce. I admit that I only follow her because of the cringe worthy entertainment value. I follow all the other beauty and fashion bloggers that I mentioned purely because I enjoy their sense of fashion, their reviews, tips and their personalities overall. The leading blogger is a joke and I know of many people who follow her for entertainment purposes only but take her knowledge on fashion or beauty with a pinch of salt. She does not do half enough to reach out to the 'average' female, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

This may be in the wrong forum but does anyone have any recommendations for any fashion blogs?

greenfrogs wrote: »
    This may be in the wrong forum but does anyone have any recommendations for any fashion blogs?

The fashion blog called Sincerely Jules is one I would highly recommend. Her fashion sense is absolutely amazing. Unique to the core

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

The fashion blog called Sincerely Jules is one I would highly recommend. Her fashion sense is absolutely amazing. Unique to the core

Only checked out this blog for the first time last week after seeing lots of people on here recommending it. So amazing love her look

This is definitely a beauty blogger thing that I DO NOT like. A couple of weeks ago, the leading fashion and beauty blogger wrote an article on her blog about ways to de stress, saying that she noticed she was not as motivated in the mornings,etc. She recommended things like, soaks in a bath,a girls night in,etc. She posted in her Instrgram that this article was now live on her blog. An instagram follow suggested to her that maybe she should include some contact info for people to seek professional help if they were experiencing low motivation or suffering from extreme stress. The blogger replied back with "not at all. Stress is normal. You don't need professionals for that". I was in total shock at her response to the followers suggestion! She as good as dismissed the idea of stress and low levels of motivation possibly requiring more professional assistance by some people. Followers came along and told her they were shocked by her response and that stress is relative, eg, a person could be under severe stress if they could not get enough money together to buy food for their family. A follower stated that in the current climate, mental health is bigger than ever and that this blogger should be using her position of being an influential role model to promote this and to encourage people to seek professional help, whether it be from a medical professional or a charitable organisation and not to be saying that you don't need professionals and making it seem like something to be ashamed of. She did reply saying that she didn't realise it was severe stress that the original follower was talking about! Again, missing the point that stress is relative. Stress for her might be having to give several talks in a short space of time. To others, it might be not knowing if you can negotiate a deal with the bank to not loose your house. A soak in a bath tub does not help all issues and professional help should not be something to be dismissed.
    Other celebrities, sports stars, music artists,etc are doing such fantastic work at the minute to promote awareness around all aspects of mental heath and are trying to remove the age old stigma that was attached to the subject. They are using their status of being in the public eye as a positive means of communicating information around the subject of mental health. How dare this blogger openly say that you don't need professional help. What qualifies her to advise on this very serious issue? This is something I feel very strongly about. She has an exceptionally influential when it comes to her followers, especially the younger ones. She cannot be allowed to be dishing out information like this to people who are so easily influenced and sending out the wrong message regarding the possible need to seek professional help in times of stress. If this is the completely wrong forum for bringing up this issue of what I believe to be poor advice from a beauty/fashion blogger than I apologize. I not sure where else to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

I honestly think you should just stop reading her blog if it bothers you so much. Seriously, life is short.

cactusgal wrote: »
    I honestly think you should just stop reading her blog if it bothers you so much. Seriously, life is short.

A lot of her posts are genuinely entertaining (they're not intended to be!). However, coming across the above is far from entertaining and I felt the need to say something about the issue. But I hear what you say cactusgal. She can influence young ones all she wants with strips of eye lashes placed on already existing eye lash extensions. But she should not be openly dismissing the benefits of seeking professional help in times of stress.

I agree ratmouse. To me she just seems to be away with the fairies and so detached from reality and that latest post of hers just proves that. It's like she thinks she's one of the Kardashians or something. I just can't relate to her in any way on any level.

This thread is about things you like and dislike in blogging so it's to be expected that there will be negative posts along with positive ones. Just because people may not like certain aspects of a particular blogger doesn't mean they should stop following them.
    I actually stopped following her myself but she still appears all over my facebook because my friends follow her, there's no avoiding her really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I can certainly see where you are coming from. However, from reading the bloggers post, her view of stress seems very different to mine. The word "stress" does get thrown around quite a bit nowadays and sometimes it is used out of context. Her post seems to be more of the "bit stressed out after a day in work" variety rather than a "stressed out with unemployment and unable to play bills" variety. I think her post was a bit too light and fluffy to be taken in the context of "real" stress IMO.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I can certainly see where you are coming from. However, from reading the bloggers post, her view of stress seems very different to mine. The word "stress" does get thrown around quite a bit nowadays and sometimes it is used out of context. Her post seems to be more of the "bit stressed out after a day in work" variety rather than a "stressed out with unemployment and unable to play bills" variety. I think her post was a bit too light and fluffy to be taken in the context of "real" stress IMO.

I know what you mean Sunny Dayz but she did mention low motivation and that was one of the things that her followers picked up on.

She also said that she would amend the article to include contact info for professionals who deal with stress,etc. A couple of weeks later and she still hasn't done this even though she has since re-posted on Facebook feed that she has an article on de stressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I know what you mean Sunny Dayz but she did mention low motivation and that was one of the things that her followers picked up on.

I think she's entitled to give her opinion and to interpret stress in that way. I don't agree that just because she has a beauty blog she should be an ambassador for the mental health profession.

Have to agree with this, she's just a normal person like any of us, she is not a mental health expert and even though I don't recall the post in question I imagine she was just referring to basis stress levels after a long day at work etc

She referenced that her motivation was starting to lack. Other people might be able to identify with this. For some it may become a constant. Fair enough if you say she is not a mental health ambassador or expert but this is exactly why she should not have responded saying "you don't need professionals for that". That is an absolute statement and a downright dismissal of a simple suggestion. She could easily have said that the area of mental health was not something she was expert enough to comment on but to say outright that the suggestion of professional help is not necessary is poor advice on her part.

My motivation lacks in my last hour of work every single day. I'm sure what she meant was similar and I have no doubt she was quickly put in her place right after she made that statement. Yes its not right to say someone doesn't need professional help but I'm pretty sure in this case she was talking about basic stress levels and she was just giving tips to help relax in the evenings more than anything else.
    I'm no massive fan of hers but this seems like a case of miscommunication both her and the person who commented were talking about two different things. Happens!

The person who commented simply suggested that it might be worth mentioning that professional help is available if the stress and low motivation continue and that sometimes stress can manifest into something larger if it continues. She dismissed this immediately. And yet strangely, when she was questioned about being dismissive she said that she would amend her article. Never did though.

I see the make up fairy put up a post saying she was going having a technology break as she has had a bit of bloggers block, she wrote a lengthy post on her instagram and insisted she'd be back soon she just needed a bit of a break; this "break" lasted one day. Can't help but think that's attention seeking just to get all the declarations of love from her followers....

I see the make up fairy put up a post saying she was going having a technology break as she has had a bit of bloggers block, she wrote a lengthy post on her instagram and insisted she'd be back soon she just needed a bit of a break; this "break" lasted one day. Can't help but think that's attention seeking just to get all the declarations of love from her followers....

I agree Anna080. I noticed that on her instagram the other day and that would wouldn't be seeing any further posts for at least a few days. But the ban didn't last very long. What was the point of that post?!

• Advertisement

I agree Anna080. I noticed that on her instagram the other day and that would wouldn't be seeing any further posts for at least a few days. But the ban didn't last very long. What was the point of that post?!

Lol I know and the big lengthy declaration of how she needed time for herself and all of this. Not saying she can't do that but to then be back posting non stop the next day is a bit mad! That was four days ago she said she needed a break and she has posted over 20 pics since then lol

Lol I know and the big lengthy declaration of how she needed time for herself and all of this. Not saying she can't do that but to then be back posting non stop the next day is a bit mad! That was four days ago she said she needed a break and she has posted over 20 pics since then lol

Do you know what else that reminds me of? Bloggers declaring that they have a big announcement on the way or exciting news about a new venture that they can't reveal just yet. Wrecks my head. It causes the whole chain reaction then of "OMG, please tell us now. Dying to hear" or "Can't cope with the excitement. Please tell us what the big news is"! So attention seeking. Why not just wait until whatever venture is signed and sealed and then announce it? That's so annoying as is the "oh, we're on tender hooks here waiting" attitude of the followers. And then more annoying than all of that, the big hush hush venture ends up being something awesomely disappointing like the blogger securing a column in a rubbish newspaper! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just came across this youtube vlog. This to me is an example of the perfect beauty blog. Short, simple, with plenty of swatches!

I'm curious why you still follow her if you don't like her so much? And yes I agree the suspense building is a pain usually followed by a disappointing reveal at the end! (I suspect this is eyelashes she is about to announce) :)

I think she was referring to bloggers in general, not just so sue me in particular.

• Advertisement

I think she was referring to bloggers in general, not just so sue me in particular.

I was referring to bloggers in general doing that. I used an example then of a deflated outcome following on from all the hype!

panda100 wrote: »
    Just came across this youtube vlog. This to me is an example of the perfect beauty blog. Short, simple, with plenty of swatches!

What blog is that from? It's actually quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Beaut .ie is actually a joke, first four posts are all celeb, so disappointing that it's gone this way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I used to enjoy some of the blogs mentioned above for fashion and make up tips however since they turned into "look at my amazing life" type ones of photos of weekends away with boyfriends and nights out I unfollow! I'm sure I sound like a bitter woman! Enjoying the beautiful truth these days and ystyle for affordable fashion looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Or last week's MAC lipstick dupe post.

Press photos and no swatches..... :(

• Advertisement

Has anybody been to the fashion workshops/days out that these well known bloggers do? Would love to hear are they any good? Tempted to go to Pippas one!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

I was just thinking that today when i went on instagram, i dont mind the make up fairy like i think some of her posts are good but her photos are over photoshopped to the point of fakeness at times!! But she defo didnt take any break from technology clearly lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

But it does kind of show how difficult it is to move away from technology and to take a break from it.

For any of you who have stated on this thread how poor writing and spelling are things that irk you with certain beauty and fashion bloggers, then you should check out the leading blogger's latest blog on a shopping haul she did in Penneys. The blog will either make you laugh or else bug the life out of you. So badly written and with so many spelling mistakes. There are some sentences that don't even follow any logic or make any sense. This post demonstrates two things - 1) a severely poor grasp of the English language, 2) complete laziness to not even bother to read back over the post to identify the mistakes and amend accordingly. Shockingly bad!

Noticed that myself, I want to unfollow but the entertainment value is too good! Although I think a lot of people (certainly ones I know) think the same. Although it's nonetheless impressive how she forged such a career for herself out of it. It's become a bit of everything blog now, I like bloggers who stick with what they set out to do, trying to be all things to eveybody as in look at my fab life really just appeals to the younger types I think anyway - that's coming from a 30+ mother of 2!

Her Penney's haul post is hardly that bad, I only skimmed through it (didn't spot any spelling mistakes though) as I do not have the washboard abs to wear crop tops!

One thing I would love to see is her (any other bloggers) giving tips for other people besides themselves ie. curvy blondes :)

Well unless she cleaned up the post in the last few minutes, it would be hard to miss the poor writing and spelling errors. But you say that you don't think it's that bad. However, as I stated above, I posted this particular comment for the interest of those posters on here who hate it when bloggers cannot write properly.

It's the lecturer in me that brings out the worst in me when I read post like that! The punctuation is dreadful. Anyway, can anybody recommend a good beauty blogger? Irish preferably, as I find the products can be obtained a lot easier!

Her overuse of the exclamation mark is the most annoying thing ever! Lol

traineeacc wrote: »
    Noticed that myself, I want to unfollow but the entertainment value is too good! Although I think a lot of people (certainly ones I know) think the same. Although it's nonetheless impressive how she forged such a career for herself out of it. It's become a bit of everything blog now, I like bloggers who stick with what they set out to do, trying to be all things to eveybody as in look at my fab life really just appeals to the younger types I think anyway - that's coming from a 30+ mother of 2!

I agree. She set out her blog originally stating that Olivia Palermo's style was her inspiration! I have never seen her in any outfit,make up or style that reflects this! Fake lashes on top of fake lashes, oceans of hair extensions, litres of fake tan,endless inches of make up and trashy looking, tight clothing will never be something that Olivia Palermo will be seen sporting! Bloggers should stay true to their original convictions whilst still changing things up a bit with all the emerging fashion trends.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement