Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beauty blogger things you like / don' like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

traineeacc wrote: »
    Just to add if you google the company who set up the rstyle in the States they talk about their top bloggers earning up to 200k a year!! I know that's the exception rather than norm however it just illustrates the power of blogging and the resources that they use!

Rstyle is invite only I think. You'd need to have a certain following before you'd be on their radar. While I know some US bloggers make six figures from the game, I'd be staggered if any of the Irish ones make near that. The market here is such a small pool and if you read any of the regular Irish bloggers you'll quickly realise they're all at the same events, all posting their Pennys must haves and all OBSESSED!!1!!!11!! with whatever beauty brand sent them a freebie that week. I'll take my regular paying job over relying on other people's desire to buy disposable fashion to pay my bills any day.
    Either way I wish people would realise how bloggers make money from affiliate marketing links and the Irish tax code copped on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Great post Lazygal, it's the influence they have on the young impressionable age group that bugs me. They believe the post about "loving" certain items so much when the reality is they are getting paid for purchases etc.

I think you will see a clamp down on your last point very soon, from what I have seems it's on their radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I think at the end of the day, you either trust a blogger or you don't. I review samples, I disclose it and I make sure all my opinions are honest. A blog takes a lot of hard work and there's a huge amount of great Irish bloggers busting their behinds for theirs so the best way is to stick with the people you trust.

I think if earnings and sponsorship becomes transparent there won't be a problem, it's only when it's obvious that people hide things that instantly you're inclined to distrust other things they say! I was offered €130 a couple of weeks back for a post (and the cash would have been great) but I said I couldn't do it unless I could disclose it as a sponsored post and they said it couldn't be disclosed so they dropped me! :mad:

Wow I can't believe the dropped you for that reason, that is disgraceful. You will get more buy in from followers by being honest. To be fair people have become wiser to the fact the certain bloggers despite not saying it are clearly getting incentives to review and give good reviews of products.

I love seeing blogs that are honest and true to what they set up to achieve. I think id like your blog smokey eyes, honest and transparency are qualities I like in a blogger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I think at the end of the day, you either trust a blogger or you don't. I review samples, I disclose it and I make sure all my opinions are honest. A blog takes a lot of hard work and there's a huge amount of great Irish bloggers busting their behinds for theirs so the best way is to stick with the people you trust.

I think if earnings and sponsorship becomes transparent there won't be a problem, it's only when it's obvious that people hide things that instantly you're inclined to distrust other things they say! I was offered €130 a couple of weeks back for a post (and the cash would have been great) but I said I couldn't do it unless I could disclose it as a sponsored post and they said it couldn't be disclosed so they dropped me! :mad:

That's appalling SmokeyEyes! Fair play to you for sticking to your principles - I think I'd like your blog.
    I appreciate that a lot of work goes into blogging and that the majority of bloggers aren't in it for the money. I hope it won't be long before we have compulsory sponsorship disclosures here similar to what has been implemented in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

rougegal wrote: »
    That's appalling SmokeyEyes! Fair play to you for sticking to your principles - I think I'd like your blog.
    I appreciate that a lot of work goes into blogging and that the majority of bloggers aren't in it for the money. I hope it won't be long before we have compulsory sponsorship disclosures here similar to what has been implemented in the UK.

If it's the blog I'm thinking of, SmokeyEyes blog is excellent! Definitely up there as being one of the best Irish beauty blogs by far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Luno wrote: »
    If it's the blog I'm thinking of, SmokeyEyes blog is excellent! Definitely up there as being one of the best Irish beauty blogs by far!

Seconded.

Can you pm which one, I am a fan already with morals like that and the conviction to stand up for what you believe in.

Can you pm which one, I am a fan already with morals like that and the conviction to stand up for what you believe in.

It is in her signature :)

On mobile site so not visible must look up on desktop version thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Im 27 and I even feel tired looking at her constant nights out, but that's not the bit that bothers me. She's on snapchat also and the snaps are very very cringey, her shaking her boobs at the camera in her lingerie top that night, I laughed a lot, it was quite entertaining!

Really? I'm not on snapchat but she is always urging fans to add her on snapchat so if that's her cringey behavior then it really does confirm her lack of class. And would these boobs that she is shaking at the camera be the same ones that are way bigger and fuller than before? But no no, she has had nothing done surgery wise! She was asked on instagram a while back (photo of her wearing a black dress with deep plunging neck and loads of boob on show. The dress was backless so definitely wasn't wearing a bra) what was her secret to achieving such full cleavage. She barked back in quite a defensive manner that she has always had a good cleavage. And yet, I recall her doing posts on Facebook and her blog previously about stick on bras, etc and referring to herself as flat chested.

I have been following her along but just never made the connection! Great blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@ratmouse - a lot of your recent posts are in a similar vein, all related to your perception of this individual's appearance and style. This thread is meant to be about good / bad aspects of beauty bloggers, not to focus in on one person.

Please consider this when posting again

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    @ratmouse - a lot of your recent posts are in a similar vein, all related to your perception of this individual's appearance and style. This thread is meant to be about good / bad aspects of beauty bloggers, not to focus in on one person.

Please consider this when posting again

dudara

Apologies

Has anybody been to the beauty workshops hosted by these bloggers? Just saw one is pushing her 85 euro brushes which she will be showcasing at the event how to use to them! An expensive day out!

I'm tempted to book for Pippa's one, would love feedback of anybody has been thanks

Has anybody been to the beauty workshops hosted by these bloggers? Just saw one is pushing her 85 euro brushes which she will be showcasing at the event how to use to them! An expensive day out!

I'm tempted to book for Pippa's one, would love feedback of anybody has been thanks

I thought the same - €85 on top of the workshop cost is expensive. Have never been to any but Pippa's one seems to get genuinely good feedback. Might look into going myself.

Has anyone checked out In the Frow (which I think stand for In the Front Row) blog? It's a mix of fashion,beauty,etc. The blogger,Victoria, is in her early 20s and had a unique sense of style with gorgeous lilac hair and a very natural make up look. It's a bit different and nice to see someone with a different edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

Thanks for this. I discovered that I already follow this blog, in fact it's one of my favourites :)

I'd probably go to one of the personal shoppers in a large department store and visit a few makeup counters for free. A friend of mine had a really good experience with a personal shopper in one of the large stores in Dublin recently. Didn't cost her anything bar the clothes she bought and loved. I'm very cynical though. I remember Franc the wedding planning flogging some wedding thing when I was getting married and when you checked it was nothing you wouldn't get for free from hotels anyway.

rougegal wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I discovered that I already follow this blog, in fact it's one of my favourites :)

I am impressed, It has the things I like in a blog, good layout, honest reviews! ( a serious blogger no no for me is one who says everything is great! Every product can't be great!!)

I also dislike the over sharing of "my fabulous life" here is myself and boyfriend in some fab hotel having couples massage!! Seriously we don't need all the personal details we follow for the beauty tips reviews etc

smokey eye you have a new fan here!

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    I'd probably go to one of the personal shoppers in a large department store and visit a few makeup counters for free. A friend of mine had a really good experience with a personal shopper in one of the large stores in Dublin recently. Didn't cost her anything bar the clothes she bought and loved. I'm very cynical though. I remember Franc the wedding planning flogging some wedding thing when I was getting married and when you checked it was nothing you wouldn't get for free from hotels anyway.

That's a great idea re personal shopper, have found since having kids my wardrobe needs a overhaul both work suits/ clothes and more casual stuff. Think that's exactly what I'll do.

That's a great idea re personal shopper, have found since having kids my wardrobe needs a overhaul both work suits/ clothes and more casual stuff. Think that's exactly what I'll do.

Snap. Three years of non stop breastfeeding and pregnancy has left me a wreck! I'm planning on a serious overhaul once I'm not breastfeeding any more. I'll be hitting the personal shopper myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Thank you so much ladies for all the kind words!!

I'm dying to get a new post pregnancy wardrobe too and we're getting married next year so ordered the weight watchers at home kit and joining the gym on Monday. With that in mind we're eating all around each other this weekend as a last hooray:-) Love the idea of a personal shopper once I'm in shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sarahoh91

Absolutely adore Laura from Buy Now Blog Later and Erika Fox from Retro Flame - the simple, chic layout of their sites, honest reviews, and high quality photos are what keeps me coming back for more. You also get the feeling that they are genuinely blogging purely for their love of beauty and fashion - particularly with Laura, she has a full-time job and sees blogging as a past-time, which I think is why her reviews are so refreshingly honest, with no hidden agenda.

On the topic of SoSueMe, she embodies everything wrong with blogging in my opinion - 5 star reviews for every product, trashy "Daily Mail" style celebrity features, poor grammar and spelling, blatantly sponsored ads being passed off as her own honest opinion, etc.
    She's only fooling herself if she thinks she's running a beauty and fashion site - it's a website based solely on feeding her own ego, and portraying an unrealistic lifestyle to young impressionable readers.

I unfollowed her a long time ago on facebook and instagram - the constant barrage of abuse to followers who god forbid disagree with an outfit choice is pathetic - a complete lack of class or professional etiquette in my opinion.
    I can't see her lasting much longer as it is, she's a big fish in a very small pond, and does not have the business know how, professionalism, or blogging savvy to expand into the UK market.

Just developed another blogger dislike! Bloggers who allude to all sorts of problems, insecurities etc. we all have those worries fears insecurities but bloggers who hint at these things and get the barrage of "you are so fab Hun" etc drive me nuts! It's such attention seeking behaviour! That's not he reason I read blogs!

Just developed another blogger dislike! Bloggers who allude to all sorts of problems, insecurities etc. we all have those worries fears insecurities but bloggers who hint at these things and get the barrage of "you are so fab Hun" etc drive me nuts! It's such attention seeking behaviour! That's not he reason I read blogs!

It's not what I want to see on blogs either. It's all about fashion and beauty, the associated products and great photos for me and nothing else!

Have developed a blogger dislike myself - the coloured macarons photo fad. Sincerely Jules seems to have started this (which I don't mind as she always has amazing photos of all things colourful and pretty) but loads of other bloggers now seem to putting up photos of pastel coloured macarons. What the hell is that all about?!

• Advertisement

Totally agree Ratmouse, I choose blogs who stick to their selling point be it beauty, fashion etc. I have noticed lately a lot of blogs trying to diversify a bit but loosing their way a little.

These days I'm spending more time on parenting blogs than fashion and beauty! Although I could do with starting to look after myself again!

Love sincerely Jules style and her look

Totally agree Ratmouse, I choose blogs who stick to their selling point be it beauty, fashion etc. I have noticed lately a lot of blogs trying to diversify a bit but loosing their way a little.

These days I'm spending more time on parenting blogs than fashion and beauty! Although I could do with starting to look after myself again!

Love sincerely Jules style and her look

I cannot say it enough times how much I adore Sincerely Jules blog. She literally could wear a black sack and look stylish. And what I love about her is how her blog involves travelling to and shooting photos in what would be termed as fashion capitals/fashion destinations, showing that fashion blogging well and truly is her business. I also love how her personal life is not used to fill gaps in her blog like other bloggers do. I actually don't recall if I have ever seen her boyfriend or family in any of her posts or pictures!

I'm not a fan of 'lifestyle' blogs. I don't really see the point in them other than to flaunt their wealth. It's actually kind of embarrassing in many cases where some bloggers are idolized by pre-teens and then get a chip on their shoulder for being the latest craze. I can see a lot of these bloggers struggling in future years when their target markets have come to their senses!

Oh and just as a kind of disclaimer, this isn't actually targeted at one specific blogger just something I've come to notice in recent months.

I think it depends on the lifestyle the blog presents. I follow a few minimalist bloggers as I've been on a decluttering and reducing consumption binge lately and I've gotten a lot of ideas and inspiration from them. I also read a few 'mommy bloggers' and they make me laugh with the ludicrous styled baby showers and impractical stuff for newborn. But a fashion blogger who's having a baby and starts posting about their nesting phase and instagramming baby scans? No thanks.

I agree with the comments re fashion/ beauty blogger turned parenting bloggers especially when they post advice on feeding which is against HSE, formula company guidelines while such advice may work for their baby. I think it's reckless to be broadcasting advice against common guidelines. He guidelines are there for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I see a certain well known blogger has started posting outfit details from much cheaper shops and a lots less designer as had been the case for a long time. I suspect she must have realised her teen audience didn't have the means to be shopping as lavishly and is now posting much much cheaper outfits and even posting her own outfit but cheaper version of it!

She seems to be reacting more to her audience that had been the case for a while there.

There is a big difference when you read bloggers who are doing it because they love what they do and believe in products etc as compared to bloggers who think they are celebs and use their "blog" as a cash cow simply and blatantly to make money!

I think its important for a blogger to remember that they are not celebrities (for the most part) that people don't really wanna know about their lives as such, its nice to get an insight but as the above poster said, baby scans, or photos of you having your sunday roast are totally boring..... You must not get ahead of yourself, you are not Kim Kardashian and no one wants to know what colour knickers your wearing or what you bought doing the food shopping! (I don't anyway)

"What colour knickers you're wearing". Am laughing away to myself here. Sad thing is though, there are followers out there who do want to know this level of info when they are following bloggers that they absolutely adore.

Another blog hate of mine is, bloggers saying maybe a year ago that they have found, say for eg, a foundation to beat all other foundations. They claim it's the best foundation they have ever used. Skip forward a year later and the bloggers do an overview of their favourite foundations ever and low and behold, the previously loved "foundation to beat all foundations" doesn't even get a mention! Puzzles me!

I read somebody challenging a blogger about this on her blog and the reaction from her was pretty nasty and unnecessary. Was later deleted.

Re followers wanting to know level of details I laughed this morning when a blogger posted a pic of a cup of coffee and a lot of followers started asking what type of coffee was it and where she got the cup?!!' It was just a standard mug!!! That just baffles me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Re followers wanting to know level of details I laughed this morning when a blogger posted a pic of a cup of coffee and a lot of followers started asking what type of coffee was it and where she got the cup?!!' It was just a standard mug!!! That just baffles me

If it's the same one I saw the comments were verging on embarrassing - "I want to start drinking coffee, what coffee do you drink?"

Stuff like that just makes me cringe. Do we really love in a society where a grown woman can't pick out a jar of coffee without being prompted by a 'celebrity'?!

That's the one! So funny but for all the wrong reasons, I'm sure pippa herself must have been cringing reading them comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think people just like to comment, they often ask where things are from when it says it right there in the post, must drove bloggers nuts!

Haha ya that drives me mad too! Especially on Instagram when the blogger will have the item brand tagged and people still chime in with omg where'd ya get the bag?

But seriously some followers are on another level. The blogger could be sitting in a plain room with white walls white couch and white floor and there would still be people wanting to know where the stuff is from.

anna080 wrote: »
    Haha ya that drives me mad too! Especially on Instagram when the blogger will have the item brand tagged and people still chime in with omg where'd ya get the bag?

But seriously some followers are on another level. The blogger could be sitting in a plain room with white walls white couch and white floor and there would still be people wanting to know where the stuff is from.

"Is that shade Misty Cloud or Pure Snow????????"

• Advertisement

I just seen on someone's facebook that if you don't interact with a page you follow by march 12th you will automatically unfollow. Dunno how true this is but I expect bloggers will be losing many followers if it is

What?! That's craziness!! Sure half of the people I follow only for the look Id never actually leave a comment or even like anything. Their followers will drop by the bucket load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Has anyone seen the "no make up" make up look that The Make Up Fairy posted today. HOW is she still claiming that those lips are natural?

Has anyone seen the "no make up" make up look that The Make Up Fairy posted today. HOW is she still claiming that those lips are natural?

I saw that earlier.

The irony is she looks so much better in person than she does in her pics. She's a very VERY pretty girl.

I'm not sure about her lips, they look overdrawn to me, not my thing but whatever floats her boat I suppose.

Saw that too and I was tempted to leave a comment but I know well Id only get abuse from her followers and branded as jealous. I wasn't going to say anything nasty because I'm not like that, but just some comment about her lips. Also she airbrushes her pictures so much that it's pointless even being interested in any products she uses because I can't actually see what they look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I saw that earlier.

The irony is she looks so much better in person than she does in her pics. She's a very VERY pretty girl.

I'm not sure about her lips, they look overdrawn to me, not my thing but whatever floats her boat I suppose.

Look at her old photos on her fb page (they are all public). Her lips are about half the size.

I've no problem with people getting work done. I had a nose job myself. It's not admitting it that annoys me.

Look at her old photos on her fb page (they are all public). Her lips are about half the size.

I'm only going on having met her in person at a make up evening. Mind you that was this time last year so it's possible she's had fillers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I've no problem with people getting work done. I had a nose job myself. It's not admitting it that annoys me.

Exactly. I have seen comments recently from people asking her about her lips and she claims it's all down to make up. There is no make up in the world and no amount of contouring etc that would make your lips look like that.
    As you say, if you look at old photos, her lips look completely different.

The airbrushing/ photo shop is insane and actually doenst do her justice. I saw her at one of those makeup group tutorials and she had fab skin in person but her lips did not look like that and my sister deliberately asked her for tips on filling out lips and we never get the advice. My sister mentioned a particular brand of cosmetic and she told is they were rubbish etc and 2 days later she was running a big competition to win a supply of products from them singing their praises. I just really dislike the way some bloggers swing their opinions to suit their agenda at particular points in time. She went from absloutlely hating all products this make up brand produce to signing their praises in the space of a week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sara1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement