Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network issue with new Windows install

Options
  • 21-01-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I've just done a fresh install of Windows 7 and I am getting a strange problem. There is no network connection every second time I reboot. I have the PC wired to the router. So to clarify, I'll start the machine and it will connect. If I reboot, it doesn't connect, I get the red X on the network icon on the system tray. If I reboot again, it connects.

I can manage with this, the connection never drops out once its connected. Its just a pain. I've tried usual disabling/enabling, reinstalling the driver etc but nothing is working for me. Any ideas??

Running Windows 7, ASRock H61M-HVS motherboard. I can provide any other information needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

see if your adaptors are disabled,this has happened to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

see if your adaptors are disabled,this has happened to me

Thanks for your ridiculously quick reply!

I checked the adapter settings but when I get the error nothing displays at all, the page is totally blank. This is in Open Network and Sharing Center-->Change Adapter Settings.

When its working correctly I'm getting Local Area Connection as expected.

It's really weird that its only happening every second time I reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Make sure you're running the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. I've seen many occasions where the driver automatically installed by Windows updates causes problems (BSOD errors in one instance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I had a near identical problem on my laptop. Turned out to be a driver issue and then a few months later a power setting issue.

Make sure your power settings are as you want them for the network device. And as eoin above suggested, your BIOS and drivers are up-to-date.
    In my case, I set everything to max.

Can you get hold of another network card? They are relatively cheap to buy.

I'm back in work now but I'll try these when I get home and let ye know what happens. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement

No joy with this I'm afraid. I tinkered with the power settings and installed the drivers from the manufacturers website but the same thing is happening. As I say, its not really a problem so I think I'll just order a new network card and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Probably your best bet then. After all could well be a hardware fault

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Check cables (it could be busted)
    Try your machine on another router if possible. sometimes the ports go.

Also if you can check to see if your NIC is flashing lights when disconnected that would help too. If it's flashing it means you are getting some sort of electronic signal but for all you know you have a dud pin on your network cable.

You have to eliminate each component one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tried setting a fixed IP? There might be an issue with DHCP on your router. Won't do any harm to reboot your router too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Had this problem only 2 days ago, it was the Ethernet driver. Reinstalled the mobo drivers fresh and bam! everything was working. Having any issues with USB ports?

• Advertisement

No issues with USB ports no. I can't see it being anything with the router because it works as often as it doesn't. I've ordered the new network card so that should be here next week. I'll see how that goes, it wasn't expensive anyway

Just a quick update in this. The problem seems to have sorted itself out! I didn't make any changes myself and as far as I know there were no windows updates. Very strange altogether. Unfortunately I tried to cancel the order for the new network card but was unable to do so. Into the gadget drawer it will go.

Advertisement