Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

21st Century Yugoslav International Team

• 21-01-2015 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

A somewhat flippant, hypothetical thought I had the other day, but imagine the team Yugoslavia would have now if it had not been disbanded? Given the imbalance of the former states in terms of strong defence (Serbia) and attack (Croatia, Bosnia), a combined Yugoslav international football team in 2015 would surely be in the top 5 in the world

Handonovic
    Ivanovic Subotic Vidic Kolorov
    Matic
    Rakatic Pjanic
    Modric
    Dzeko Mandzukic

Subs; Begovic, Lovren, Matic, Ljajic, Jovetic.

Not bad!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

must be a better CH available than Vidic, shirley.

good thread by the way.

What about an East/West Germany & USSR Combined (probably UKR+RUS?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I wouldn't have him starting he is at the end of his career . A few years ago and he was the first name on the team sheet.

I agree with you, yeah, on current form he wouldn't get a game for Accrington Stanley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I wouldn't have him starting he is at the end of his career . A few years ago and he was the first name on the team sheet.

Admittedly I haven't seen him play at all for Inter. Last year Lovren would have been a shoe in, but now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Bring in Sime Vrsaljko at right back and move Ivanovic to the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd reckon the Austrian - Hungarian Empire team would be half decent.

Or the continent of Africa team - i.e. before they drew lines on it in 1848. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

You'd probably get a decent team from the combined Celtic countries - Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany.

I'd call the team Celtica or IWSCIB. You pronounce Iwscib with a bit of a lisp.

Czechoslovakia!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Kalmar Union - Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

• Advertisement

British Empire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

British Empire!
    Pretty much Britain so, the rest bar us just played cricket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Australasia, or as they would still be known, Australia :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Liam O wrote: »
    I thought of them, then decided they had no footballers who'd get in the team anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

In twenty years time there'll probably be a "imagine a combined Spain and Catalan team" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If there was a British Isles team made would we get any players in?

Coleman would have a good shout at starting probably, and would almost definitely get in a 23-man squad. Not sure if many others would have a shout..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Think a Roman empire team would be pretty solid myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The Yugoslav team that was expelled from Euro'92 had great potential.They gave a good account of themselves at Italia'90, with the exception of a very naive performance against West Germany, and absolutely flew through the qualifying campaign for Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Think a Roman empire team would be pretty solid myself.

Think a team from pangea before it split up would be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

21st century didn't start in around 2012 either. No one any good play for these countries before then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Spanish Empire team would be by far the best.
    Can draw from Spanish Netherlands (now Belgium and some more bits of the Low Countries), some parts of Italy, South America bar Portugal and even Portugal itself.
    Philip II was king of England and Ireland at one stage as well (philipstown daingean named after him), so they could also get McShane as well.
    Actually I forgot that Charles II was Emporer of the Holy Roman Empire as well, so we may include that as well, so that's a big chunk of Central Europe and Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pretty much Britain so, the rest bar us just played cricket!

Actually afaik some of the counties that ended up excelling at hurling were damm good at cricket before the setup of the GAA.
    Liam O wrote: »

Ahh come on imagine if the Kiwis didn't play rugby.
    You could have the sneaky richie mccaw as a centre half.
    Can't figure out where Jonah Lomu would play?

But for the fact that the Serbs, Croats and Bosniacs were at each others throats that early 1990s Yugoslav team had a great chance of landing the Euro championship.
    The Germans were a bit dour even if they had won the WC two years earlier and the pre tournament favourites, England, well they had Graham Taylor.
    The only othr team with the ability might have been the Dutch.
    There was no Spain, no Italy.
    You had CIS, France, Holland, Scotland, Sweden, England and Germany.

If we had beaten the Poles at home we could have gone instead of England. :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Would be nothing against a combined Liverpool and Manchester United XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    Would be nothing against a combined Liverpool and Manchester United XI.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to do up a combined 11.

Jones
    Johnson Jones Lovern Moreno
    Carrick Lucas
    Valencia Gerrard Sterling
    Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nazi Germany v The Roman Empire.

France gets divided up by a draft system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Wolf Club wrote: »
    In twenty years time there'll probably be a "imagine a combined Spain, Basque and Catalan team" thread.

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Corholio wrote: »
    21st century didn't start in around 2012 either. No one any good play for these countries before then?

Opening post: "A somewhat flippant, hypothetical thought I had the other day, but imagine the team Yugoslavia would have now if it had not been disbanded?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd reckon the Austrian - Hungarian Empire team would be half decent.

Or the continent of Africa team - i.e. before they drew lines on it in 1848. :rolleyes:

Austro-Hungarian Empire never had a unified team, they had seperate Austrian and Hungarian sides. Both still covered much bigger areas than at present of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Surinam might have a team that will make them progress a lot in the future
    Players of Surinam decent who also have a Dutch passport are banned from playing in the Surinam team. Not by Fifa but by the Surinam government.

Is he succeeds they can field a much stronger team than they can now.
    Players who cant make it in the Dutch team, will possibly be playing for Surinam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

klose wrote: »
    Think a team from pangea before it split up would be the best.

You'd have a hard time teaching them the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Morzadec wrote: »
    If there was a British Isles team made would we get any players in?

Coleman would have a good shout at starting probably, and would almost definitely get in a 23-man squad. Not sure if many others would have a shout..

Stop pussy footing about, it's not British Isles using the Op logic, it's just Britain (now includes The UK + ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You'd have a hard time teaching them the rules.
    Ah, Wayne Rooney's done alright for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

B7-jAArCUAAn8w5.png

This at one stage was a potential Yugoslav team at the 1987 youth World Cup.

Unfortunately, the two center halfs ended up declaring war on each others houses and families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

B7-jAArCUAAn8w5.png

Unfortunately, the two center halfs ended up declaring war on each others houses and families.

Some team in fairness.

Add in Pancev, Savicevic, Dragan Stoijkovic, Slaven Bilic, Srecko Katanec and one or two others and they could have Won Euro 1992 and had a tilt at the World Cup in 1994.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Red Star had some team back in the early 90's. Too bad they played for penalties in the '91 European Cup final. Made for a terrible game of football but it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

B7-jAArCUAAn8w5.png

That is some team . Prosinecki was a joy to watch. Couldn't believe he ended up playing for Portsmouth in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Red Star had some team back in the early 90's. Too bad they played for penalties in the '91 European Cup final. Made for a terrible game of football but it worked.

Remember some channel surfing and run into Red Star - Dynamo Dresden on German tv that year on a miserable thursday afternoon.

Finished 3-0 and i can honestly say that was the only time i was disapointed a match between 2 teams i had no idea about, was finished.
    Brilliant football from Red Star in that match.

60c26ca613c72e4bcc09e3eabdf5a5b5.png

Some team they had.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cck5tQXXGiE

Advertisement