Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage Equality Referendum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gravehold banned - don't bother responding

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭tomato1234

Everyone! Free taxis to your polling stations! No excuses!

http://blog.uber.com/dublin-votes?fb_ref=Default

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Nice to see that #VoteYes is the number 1 trending topic WORLDWIDE this morning on Twitter.

Go on ye good thing!

Oh, and today is Harvey Milk day in the USA. How apt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Weather holding up in this area thankfully. I've voted and I'm excited about tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Good luck to you all :). #Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm so excited and so nervous. I'm finding it very hard to focus on anything and I'm all trembley. My facebook and twitter news feeds are just brimming with love and support so I can only hope that translates to votes.

Any idea what time-ish we can expect a result tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Logged back onto Twitter in what seems like a month ago and the support and love is astounding!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Vojera wrote: »
    I'm so excited and so nervous. I'm finding it very hard to focus on anything and I'm all trembley. My facebook and twitter news feeds are just brimming with love and support so I can only hope that translates to votes.

Any idea what time-ish we can expect a result tomorrow?

Official result about five. Strong indications - early afternoon from the tallies.
    Get the champagne cold.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Also some gay couples are godparents. In that situation its the will of the natural parents for them to step in if the parents die. But Iona think they know best.

You might mean Guardians? Godparents are a religious thing - they have no automatic right to a child in law should anything happen to the children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

News report saying that Ireland is looking like it will be the first country in the world to legalise SSM with a comfortable majority rather than narrow victories like there were in the other countries where it is legal.

Ireland, leading the way as usual! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Cyclonus

I was voting in Tyrrellspass polling station and I couldn't help notice that they had a bible on the table beside the people overseeing it. When we asked why it was there, they said that if they didn't recognise anyone or if they thought they "looked funny" they'd have to swear on the bible before they could vote. The said that this was standard. When my mum said she never saw a bible at any election before, they said they always have one there. We thought this was a way to influence people to vote no, so we complained. They just put it on the next table. Does anyone know if bibles are supposed to be at polling stations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cyclonus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if bibles are supposed to be at polling stations?
    Yep, the woman is right. Although they're not necessarily always out on the table, every ballot box comes with a bible, so that anyone without photo ID can swear on the bible (LOL) about who they are.

It's a massive fraud hole that they need to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cyclonus

I didn't have any photo ID and they didn't ask for any of the ID I did have. It was just on the news that other people have been complaining about it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

It's just for some light reading material before you cast your vote... in case you're undecided. ;)

Don't worry, some chapters aren't really relevant! (It's the part about burning in eternal firey hell that'll pique your interest) lol

I've voted. Woohoo! I asked I'm the polling station and they said they hit about 30% turnout around 6pm whereas they'd normally be lucky to get 20% there for elections, so people are certainly mobilising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

This is worrying. No vote odds shortening on Paddypower. Was 9/1 now 7/1 ! Would have expected the opposite of it's to be a Yes. This is exactly what happened with the senead referendum

No need to post across multiple threads.

I wouldn't pay any attention. Bookies also shorten odds if there's a high uptake in betting, and afaik nobody is conducting an exit poll of note (happy to be corrected on that) so we really won't know what the story is until tomorrow, even the tallies can be ignored unless they indicate a very clear result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

No need to post across multiple threads.

I wouldn't pay any attention. Bookies also shorten odds if there's a high uptake in betting, and afaik nobody is conducting an exit poll of note (happy to be corrected on that) so we really won't know what the story is until tomorrow, even the tallies can be ignored unless they indicate a very clear result.

It's only shortening because people are putting money on it. Doesn't mean it will be a no vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I've honestly never seen engagement in anything to this scale in Ireland before and to be honest, most of it has been amazingly positive.

I would be gutted if this were a no, but I think it has been an unprecedented opportunity for the mainstream of Ireland to actually meet LGBT Ireland and discover they're actually the exact same as the rest of this somewhat bonkers island's inhabitants.

Unlike the recent French experience, which was horrendous and divisive and that wasn't even a referendum!
    I really do think Ireland's changed a bit in the last few weeks and very much for the better.

There've been a lot of fear and self-imposed taboos broken by suddenly discovering that most people are actually 'grand'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lads and lasses, best of luck with this one. I voted yes to this, most people I know have too.

You deserve the same rights I have.

I'm going to call it - 76% in favour ... If I'm bang on pints will be gladly accepted ;)

I've been close enough with previous predictions ...

I just want to stick it on the record somewhere to see if I'm in a Twitter / boards bubble or not.

My fingers, toes and anything else that I can cross is crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Won't be that high, but with such a good turnout, especially in the urban areas, very unlikely to be less than 60% in favour of a Yes vote now. I know the polls said one thing, but I would have said Yes would have been doing well to pass by 55% yesterday (I've absolutely no doubt that there are many people who would say Yes in public but No in private and the no argument of being 'victimised' gained some traction). Could pass 65%, but a win is a win is a win!

60/40 would be a phenomenal result to be honest.

Question - I'll be in Dublin tomorrow and I'm not usually based there.
    Where would one head to celebrate a Yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

SpaceTime wrote: »

They'll probably be spilling out onto Capel street between Nealons and Pantibar.

SpaceTime wrote: »

If you are there early you can chance your arm and get into Dublin Castle which will probably be packed upstairs for a vote count.

Just feel an urge to get out tomorrow night ... (tonight rather)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Either the George with Vinny, or Capel St. The latter is likely to be (slightly) less packed and more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Text from the Kildare count implies a landslide yes from here and even in Wexford tallies are still suggesting a decent %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Going to be passed - the question now is by how much. I'd say it will be over 60% - not something in my wildest dreams I thought was possible! Even many of the rural constituencies look like they're going to pass it, which is great to see and again not something I would have expected. So much for having to rely on Dublin to get it through, though obviously the vote is higher in Dublin! I've heard as few as 3 counties will vote no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Early tallies are looking really positive though mostly from urban areas. It's making me slightly more cautiously optimistic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Absolutely delighted for you all. Really really chuffed. Congratulations and best of luck to all the future bride and grooms xx. Well done Ireland.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never had any reason to post on this forum, but just popping in to say how happy I am for you all. This is the reward you all so richly deserve, not least after months of having to endure 'balance' from a caustic and manipulating no campaign. Whether you're going out to celebrate or just spending the day with the people you love, you can be happy that your fellow Irish brothers and sisters are on your side. It's a good day to be Irish :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Been staying off boards and social media for the last week, but had to come back here and say thanks to this forum for the support and debate and laughs throughout the campaign - this is a great, great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Over 62% yes and all constituencies bar one voted yes, wow, proud to be irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

I'm proud to be irish today.We done the right thing.

As a straight male it wouldnt of effected me whether it passed or not but I think life is hard enough for people and I'd never begrudge anybody a bit of happiness.

So gay people enjoy your hen/stag nights:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

I was watching Pat Carey ex TD on RTE, and he said something which had occurred to me, which was that Irish people alwys showed "cothrom na feinne", or had a sense of fair play, which I think marks us out as being unique in our ability to give others a chance.
    I cannot imagine this amendment being passed by popular vote in any other country, except perhaps the Netherlands or Sweden.
    It's a trait I hope Irish people will always have, and something I hope the new Irish will will learn to accept and emulate.
    My 6 year old nephew was in the car today and I mentioned that he had had the day off from school.
    "That was for the vote", he said.
    "That's right" I replied, "they won."
    "Who won?" he asked sharply. "The Yes side?"
    "Yep", says uncle.
    "Oh that's great," he said, beaming. "Now everyone can be happy. Nobody should be sad."
    If this is how the youth of the future think, all will be fine , I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    I was watching Pat Carey ex TD on RTE, and he said something which had occurred to me, which was that Irish people alwys showed "cothrom na feinne", or had a sense of fair play, which I think marks us out as being unique in our ability to give others a chance.
    I cannot imagine this amendment being passed by popular vote in any other country, except perhaps the Netherlands or Sweden.
    It's a trait I hope Irish people will always have, and something I hope the new Irish will will learn to accept and emulate.
    My 6 year old nephew was in the car today and I mentioned that he had had the day off from school.
    "That was for the vote", he said.
    "That's right" I replied, "they won."
    "Who won?" he asked sharply. "The Yes side?"
    "Yep", says uncle.
    "Oh that's great," he said, beaming. "Now everyone can be happy. Nobody should be sad."
    If this is how the youth of the future think, all will be fine , I think.

I'm delighted this vote passed and I see it as a vital step on the road to a progressive, liberal and more tolerant society. But let's not pat ourselves on the back just yet.

The party Mr. Carey represents is one which, like most parties, refuses to countenance allowing women have autonomy over their own bodies, i.e. the right to decide whether they want an abortion or not. We have buried our heads in the sand over this matter and have been fortunate to have a neighbouring country that was willing to provide our women in need with comfort, compassion and care that their fellow compatriots would not.

Most European countries allow provisions on this matter but ourselves, and N.I., do not. We have shown maturity, unlike N.I., in respecting the 'live and let live' philosophy towards our fellow gay citizens. But can we now show the same sort of maturity towards another minority group in need - namely vulnerable young women?

Let's enjoy this moment but also recognize that we've still got a lot of work to do before we can credibly be spoken of alongside countries such as the Netherlands and Sweden.

I know this is a difficult topic, and likely to be much more divisive than the gay marriage referendum, but we've shown courage in confronting a difficult issue and I for one hope we retain that going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

I'm delighted this vote passed and I see it as a vital step on the road to a progressive, liberal and more tolerant society. But let's not pat ourselves on the back just yet.

The party Mr. Carey represents is one which, like most parties, refuses to countenance allowing women have autonomy over their own bodies, i.e. the right to decide whether they want an abortion or not. We have buried our heads in the sand over this matter and have been fortunate to have a neighbouring country that was willing to provide our women in need with comfort, compassion and care that their fellow compatriots would not.

Most European countries allow provisions on this matter but ourselves, and N.I., do not. We have shown maturity, unlike N.I., in respecting the 'live and let live' philosophy towards our fellow gay citizens. But can we now show the same sort of maturity towards another minority group in need - namely vulnerable young women?

Let's enjoy this moment but also recognize that we've still got a lot of work to do before we can credibly be spoken of alongside countries such as the Netherlands and Sweden.

I know this is a difficult topic, and likely to be much more divisive than the gay marriage referendum, but we've shown courage in confronting a difficiult issue and I for one hope we retain that going forward.
    We're on the same page with that-was chatting with a pal an hour ago in the UK and that topic came up. Yep, I'd support another abortion referendum where a woman's right to choose is constitutionally protected.
    Re Carey, he was quite emotional, and as a teenager in the 80s, I have been wrestling with emotions ranging from elation to tremendous sadness over the last 3 days, and I know that other gay people of my age and older are experiencing exactly the same thing. I think it's a realisation of the fear and shame we experienced, and alot of other stuff as we were sidelined , all of which was buried and is just now surfacing as we realise how far we have come, and I saw it in Brian Sheehan's face on TV too-it's a very powerful feeling, so give Carey a little space.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 JakeZak

This country no longer deserves my citizenship.What a pathetic country it has now shown itself to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JakeZak wrote: »
    This country no longer deserves my citizenship.What a pathetic country it has now shown itself to be.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

What other languages do you speak? As you're going to run out of options fairly sharpish when Australia's inevitable legalisation occurs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Thanks for registering just to post that. You'll be missed.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 JakeZak

Sad Sad Day. To be an equal citizen,one needs to be a normal citizen first

Does democracy disappoint you? Not sure what country you will take yourself off to in that event.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sad Sad Day. To be an equal citizen,one needs to be a normal citizen first

Do you really think you'd be allowed spoil a momentous day like today with this sort of crap? Back under your bridge troll.

As for everyone else, I'm sure you enjoyed today even more than I did, and I've had a big smile on my face all day long. It's nice to be able to say that I was one of over 1.2m who helped good prevail today. Individually our votes are insignificant, but together we made history. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Welcome to equality all. You now can be as happy (or miserable) in marriage as the rest of us. It's just a pity that your lives were put on public display probably causing a lot of pain and anguish. On the good side everyone is now constitutionally protected. Hope everyone enjoys the party. I genuinely was quite emotional at times today seeing how much it meant. :)

Fantastic vibe in town all day. Couldn't not spend the day there for this once in a lifetime event. 99% of people very positive. And many very emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

It was all worth it. After all the debates where all manner of things were said, after all those brilliant people who went knocking on doors and got mixed responses, after all the knots in the stomach, it has passed. On Friday our neighbours, our communities - having listened to the debates and discussions and having deftly avoided the red herrings that were being flung left, right and centre - went to the polling booths and in massive numbers placed an X in the Yes box. This morning we can say that maybe we were foolish to doubt them.

To all who did anything in the campaign Maith Thú. I didn't canvass but spent the most draining two hours the week before polling having a conversation with four people trying to convince one that was undecided. After that I have to say that my admiration for the campaign teams was magnified ten fold.

My highlight yesterday was seeing some of the tallies from my home county. One was from the next parish, rural and a 57% yes vote. Another where there's a small village and 63% yes. I'll admit I cried a bit. The great change did not come yesterday, it has been there a while, it was just that many of us hadn't seen it.

Last night the atmosphere in town was great, a relief I thought rather than euphoria around where we were. We left early so maybe it kicked off after the Eurovision!!!!!

Anyway this is my last contribution to the discussion. A new Ireland for LGBT has dawned, much to be done not least Section 37, but from now I look forward to treading with a lighter trod.

How is everyone after the weekend?

I didn't go out or anything, just sat next to my civil partner (soon to be wife!) glued to the count on RTE and coverage from the George all day Saturday, shed a few tears and then settled in to watch Eurovision. For the first time in my life I was falling asleep before the end of it. I had a disco nap on Sunday too, obviously the strain of the last few weeks caught up with me.

This morning has been a bit surreal. It's the first Monday of my life where I've walked into work and thought "I'm now equal to all of you". Some of my colleagues have congratulated me on the result (as if I did it myself), some have already forgotten it happened, and all of them have carried on as if it's no big thing. But it is. It's huge! I still feel like the whole country has wrapped me up in a big wooly blanket and said "We accept you". It's amazing!

So what do we do with all these "Yes Equality" badges now?! I don't think I could bring myself to throw them away. Would it be odd to keep wearing them for a while? Honestly I think seeing so many people wraring these badges gave me more of a lift than the actual referendum result!

Aard wrote: »
    So what do we do with all these "Yes Equality" badges now?! I don't think I could bring myself to throw them away. Would it be odd to keep wearing them for a while? Honestly I think seeing so many people wraring these badges gave me more of a lift than the actual referendum result!
    Keep them! I'll be keeping the sticker in my car window until I sell it (which will be years down the line). I think I'm going to move my Tá badge onto my bag. And I'd like to dig out my old scrapbook (which I haven't touched in about five years) to put my Yes sticker into.

I don't think it would be weird to still wear the badges. It's just celebrating a great result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement