Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Goin on up at Marian PK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The Guards do not get involved in health and safety full stop. It is hard enough to get them involves in a crime scene as it is ne er mind stretching incredulity to the Limit telling us a Cop made a call on H and S grounds,

I was there and they were advised to stop by the guards. They had no paperwork and some of their practices were considered a danger to residents.

ec18 wrote: »
    Do you have any actual proof of that? vague allegations unsupported are a general no no

Do you have proof otherwise? I don't think we question enough in this country. Where does all of our money go? 1.2 billion per year on water and the whole system is in bad shape. I'm far from an expert, just your average joe who is done buying the bs the government and media have been feeding us. Makes me feel a bit better attending a protest now and then. I know everyone doesn't feel
    the same way as I do and that's fine.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Chip? I think it's piles and someone hasn't got a pile ring or preparation H. Might want to read this is for those of you that are shouting down the "hole" H+S issue.

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Work_Related_Vehicles/Working_on_Roads_Guidelines.pdf

The back bone of the anti water campaign vague unsupported statements. Or down right lies as they are called in English,

Really? You pay 2% from vat on everything you buy and if you own a vehicle, 5% from your car tax, just for your water. You pay for a new washing machine and then a bill comes in your door telling you to pay for it again. Would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

crustybla wrote: »
    Really? You pay 2% from vat on everything you buy and if you own a vehicle, 5% from your car tax, just for your water. You pay for a new washing machine and then a bill comes in your door telling you to pay for it again. Would you?

What are you talking about?

• Advertisement

What are you talking about?

Enough said.:rolleyes:

Enough said.:rolleyes:

I assume your source for all these facts you are throwing at us are all the same, Ripleys believe it or not!
    Testicalation is the only thing you are constant in,

I assume your source for all these facts you are throwing at us are all the same, Ripleys believe it or not!
    Testicalation is the only thing you are constant in,

That made me laugh.:D I'd never beat you at that. I'm only giving my opinion, I don't care whether or not you agree with me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

Do you have proof otherwise?

I made no accusations to need to provide proof of........accusing irish water of buying cancer causing boundary boxes is and if it appeared in full view of the public domain it's possible you could be open to a libel law suit........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm curious, the protestors claim its all about health and safety, right?

So on that basis I'm assuming they also protest all other works that take place on our roads and footpaths, even if its telecoms related, road resurfacing etc? After all health and safety is important and its rather silly for them to limit themselves to only "policing" Irish Water works that take place on the claim that its health and safety related.

Or perhaps they have another agenda and this is nothing about health and safety?
    .....The meters are second hand, from Germany. They got rid because they say they're a cancer risk....

This is a pretty serious accusation to be throwing around so I'd hope you have proof from a reliable source to prove it and by reliable I mean from a reputable organization/institution and not some random facebook post you are quoting.

• Advertisement

I made no accusations to need to provide proof of........accusing irish water of buying cancer causing boundary boxes is and if it appeared in full view of the public domain it's possible you could be open to a libel law suit........

Bring it on.:)

Bring it on.:)

Be careful what you wish for, someone might eat your crust !:-)

Be careful what you wish for, someone might eat your crust !:-)

True Wellboy2, I hope I have internet access in prison.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Its possible (if highly improbable since not much evidence) that there is a real cancer issue with the meters but its lost in the spurious, ill founded claims and lies about things like health and safety issues. Throwing out all sorts of claims by people who know very little are just counter productive and the group making the claims written off by every sensible person as a bunch of nutters.

'Basic health and safety' was cited as the reason the contractor moved off, the groups and various posts on here have been proven to be lies and attempts to decieve at worst or just plain good ol not knowing what they are talking about at best, either way, totally discreditied. Maybe health and safety was an issue why they moved off,i.e they probably moved off because they thought their safety was at threat.

The anti-water group would do well just to stick to the main issues instead of trying to win arguments in stuff they clearly dont have a clue about. I had to laugh but sigh at the same time when on the 'Waterford & KK says no' page that they have pictures of these people preventing work happening and calling them things like 'heroes and patriots', while i think that protesting peacefully is brilliant, some of these seem totally disillusioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

Max Powers wrote: »
    Its possible (if highly improbable since not much evidence) that there is a real cancer issue with the meters but its lost in the spurious, ill founded claims and lies about things like health and safety issues. Throwing out all sorts of claims by people who know very little are just counter productive and the group making the claims written off by every sensible person as a bunch of nutters.

one would assume that when throwing out a serious accusation like that it would be sourced in the original post.......But i guess that'd be logical and reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

'Basic health and safety' was cited as the reason the contractor moved off, the groups and various posts on here have been proven to be lies and attempts to decieve at worst or just plain good ol not knowing what they are talking about at best, either way, totally discreditied. Maybe health and safety was an issue why they moved off,i.e they probably moved off because they thought their safety was at threat.

The anti-water group would do well just to stick to the main issues instead of trying to win arguments in stuff they clearly dont have a clue about. I had to laugh but sigh at the same time when on the 'Waterford & KK says no' page that they have pictures of these people preventing work happening and calling them things like 'heroes and patriots', while i think that protesting peacefully is brilliant, some of these seem totally disillusioned.

Right can I ask you a question then and you answer it without going off on a litany

By your assertion in this thread.

The contractors rolled into Marion park and started digging and needed no risk assessment plan or health and safety personnel or health and safety plan for the safety of the general public just a digger and a few barriers and workmen and they can do what they want

Because if that whats your saying then I think the government should look into it I certainly wouldn't like anyone working either inside or outside my home without a modicum of knowledge in the area, thered be no need for anyone to do safe pass courses in FAS then.

You've already called me a complete liar in this thread so id like you to educate me as regards this issue please. Not trying to act the smart arse just asking for info that's all.

Shin

I'm not disillusioned. I wish I was. Do you not question authority? Ask yourself if your elderly parents were living in Marion Park would you have shown an interest in the 'work' that was going on up there? I know a woman in her 80's joined the protest at some point, though I wasn't there then, but a man of 85 did hang out with me for a while. He was very switched on. He must be as disillusioned as I am. Some people are all too quick to slag off protesters. Fair enough I know, you have your beliefs and I respect that. Sadly I'm not in the pic, I had a great banner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Maybe health and safety was an issue why they moved off,i.e they probably moved off because they thought their safety was at threat.

Ah here now. Have you looked at the photo? And seen the people carrying out the works? A threat? FFS.:D

shinzon wrote: »
    Right can I ask you a question then and you answer it without going off on a litany

By your assertion in this thread.

The contractors rolled into Marion park and started digging and needed no risk assessment plan or health and safety personnel or health and safety plan for the safety of the general public just a digger and a few barriers and workmen and they can do what they want

Because if that whats your saying then I think the government should look into it I certainly wouldn't like anyone working either inside or outside my home without a modicum of knowledge in the area, thered be no need for anyone to do safe pass courses in FAS then.

You've already called me a complete liar in this thread so id like you to educate me as regards this issue please. Not trying to act the smart arse just asking for info that's all.

Shin

I never asserted that all the contractors needed was a digger and a couple of barriers. You were spot on with first bit though, they would have done a risk assessment, probably a plan etc. You dont necessarily need a certain type of safety personnel there, you certainly dont need to display the information like safepass (even though they will all have it) or on vans like was originally mentioned and Joe Bloggs on the street not even a Garda doesnt have the power to ask them for their safety info.
    To be honest, this is getting tiring, lets not get into what you need and dont need, the issue was people trying to stop works happening because they dont want water pipes/bills and they tried to make up some silly excuses and use legislation and guidance they dont know owt about and meant for the protection of workers and public to try and stop the works. The contractors more than likely didnt leave becasue there was some mud on the ground or any other H&S issue, they prob left becasue they thought, lets go before this gets worse, maybe they felt intimidated, we can come back another day with the Gardai, this will cost the taxpayer more money in the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

Just to let all those who are so concerned about the H&S of the share ridge workers/general public that share ridge are now out side my door on maypark lane digging the road so I would appreciate if the so called protesters could come and ensure that the site is up to HSA standards and all required facilities are present...etc as ye seem so inclined...

Because of these protests we are in worse **** that ever with Europe now coming to investigate if Irish water is established as a separate legal trading company to the government and if they are not happy things go back to the way they were with no money to cover the upgrade of the water network. Yes we are probably paying three times over for water in vat and road tax and now Irish water but clearly the money collected by the former 2 just isn't a deep enough pot...people need to stop whinging about site notices all the H&S bull**** in order that the network is upgraded...I couldn't care less for myself really but what about children and future generations? They will have to suffer almost 3rd world water conditions because we were too stingy to pay for the upgrade just because we took the huff that the country went into recession and we had a hike in taxes...pity we didn't tax those who had so much
    disposable income and invest in this infrastructure when rather than letting Them piss their money away on five holidays a year to their Spanish holiday home (which they probably had to
    Pay water charges for too!)

• Advertisement

although not directly related to marian park, its relevant to general discussion; but the animal behaviour directed at Michael D Higgins yesterday was a new low and a new high in the level of ignorance of some protestors. it actually reminded me of some of the disgusting sectarian abuse that was hurled at kids up north years back. idiots

Just to let all those who are so concerned about the H&S of the share ridge workers/general public that share ridge are now out side my door on maypark lane digging the road so I would appreciate if the so called protesters could come and ensure that the site is up to HSA standards and all required facilities are present...etc as ye seem so inclined...

Because of these protests we are in worse **** that ever with Europe now coming to investigate if Irish water is established as a separate legal trading company to the government and if they are not happy things go back to the way they were with no money to cover the upgrade of the water network. Yes we are probably paying three times over for water in vat and road tax and now Irish water but clearly the money collected by the former 2 just isn't a deep enough pot...people need to stop whinging about site notices all the H&S bull**** in order that the network is upgraded...I couldn't care less for myself really but what about children and future generations? They will have to suffer almost 3rd world water conditions because we were too stingy to pay for the upgrade just because we took the huff that the country went into recession and we had a hike in taxes...pity we didn't tax those who had so much
    disposable income and invest in this infrastructure when rather than letting Them piss their money away on five holidays a year to their Spanish holiday home (which they probably had to
    Pay water charges for too!)

WHAT in God's name are you ranting about? These protests have not caused this country to be where it is now. They are as a RESULT of it - or are you unable to comprehend that?

You admit that this is the third attempt to charge for water (astonishingly) and yet you criticise people for protesting?

We "took the huff"? Sweet Jesus. Seriously? People are incensed because of preferential treatment afforded to a privileged few - some of whom are incredibly earning a wage at NAMA.

There are families who cannot afford basic necessities.

Children giving to school without breakfast.

Young couples in a mortgage trap.

Irish Water doesn't need to exist. This has been proven time and again. The €450m collected in property taxes (allegedly to go towards "local services") has gone straight into the black hole of Irish Water.

And as for your comments about Spanish holidays it is little to do with the government what people choose to do with their disposable income - on which they have already been taxed.

The smokescreen about "upgrading the network" is utter BS.

The setup costs of Irish Water will not be recouped for EIGHT years.

The whole dysfunctional venture has been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish.

And all because we have to find EIGHT BILLION EURO a year to pay in interest payments on an illegal gambling debt.

although not directly related to marian park, its relevant to general discussion; but the animal behaviour directed at Michael D Higgins yesterday was a new low and a new high in the level of ignorance of some protestors. it actually reminded me of some of the disgusting sectarian abuse that was hurled at kids up north years back. idiots

Would agree with their methods - but their sentiments are another thing.

maybe they felt intimidated

By the group of people in that photograph?:rolleyes:

7upfree wrote: »
    Would agree with their methods - but their sentiments are another thing.

i presume you got that backwards, wouldnt agree with methods???

We certainly agree on this. Personal insults are not the way to go. Thankfully I've never seen this up close and wouldn't tolerate it. All they've achieved is people taking an even more negative view on protesters.

i presume you got that backwards, wouldnt agree with methods???

Yep - spot on. Fat fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Some people feel that's all they have to resort to, I can't blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Bumping an old thread here but it appears a similar situation to Marian pk is developing up at the johns hill/passage rd area....was anyone in that vicinity today? Waterford & South Kk says no banner being displayed etc when I passed through there yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Bumping an old thread here but it appears a similar situation to Marian pk is developing up at the johns hill/passage rd area....was anyone in that vicinity today? Waterford & South Kk says no banner being displayed etc when I passed through there yesterday

They've been protesting there since yesterday and will be again today, they managed to stop them putting in boundary boxes, according to residents share ridge told them they were just doing maintenance on the pipes when in fact they were putting in the boxes

Shin

Advertisement