Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Treacy Dungarvan 10 Mile Road Race 2015

Options
  • 21-01-2015 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Last years thread

The big day is nearly upon us! I see the start and finish are different this year

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/610766864/

Hopefully we wont have the hailstone and rain we had last year! Ran last year in 1:04:50 but then ran 1:02:13 later in the year at my peak fitness on the flat but windy Cork City 10M. Would be delighted if could get close to the 1:02 again

Many boards'ies doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Yes. Any sign of race numbers in the post yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

New route seems like a bit of a mess. We will pass finish line at 2.5 miles.
    The last mile repeats mile 2 and we won't have that long run in along the coast. Though if wind is from north new route would then shelter us.
    One positive point is that it now starts further up the hill making it a net downhill race
    I wonder what was wrong with last years course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Abhainn wrote: »
    I wonder what was wrong with last years course?

At a guess I'd say it was a request from the gardai as with new route you are not on the main Cork to Waterford road for as long towards the end. Yes the hard shoulder was wide enough but there were cars getting very close to runners last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

So is the new route going to be an even faster course?

Cona wrote: »
    So is the new route going to be an even faster course?

Ever so marginally to the point of about the same as the pull at the start wasn't steep and anyways at the start of a race you are so pumped you could run up a wall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

Was down in Dungarvan for a stag this wknd so ran some of the course. I think the finish is a bit harder this year. Theres more a climb and a poorer surface

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

As this will be my first race I have a question. I'm awaiting my number which i presume will arrive next week, so on race day do I need to also register in the race headquarters or can I just turn up at the start?
    Sorry if this seems a stupid question but although ive been running for 4 years this year, this is my first race.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Race pack arrived today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

carter10 wrote: »
    As this will be my first race I have a question. I'm awaiting my number which i presume will arrive next week, so on race day do I need to also register in the race headquarters or can I just turn up at the start?
    Sorry if this seems a stupid question but although ive been running for 4 years this year, this is my first race.

once you receive your race number in the post you are good for start, no need to go to any registration hall etc...toe on the line baby :D

• Advertisement

we may not get the biblical hailstone beating like last year but given the northerlies and dropping temperatures it looks set to be another cold outing in Dungarvan..balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

we may not get the biblical hailstone beating like last year but given the northerlies and dropping temperatures it looks set to be another cold outing in Dungarvan..balls.

so long as we don't get the bloody hailstones I can put up with the cold, may just have to squeeze myself tightly in between some of the bodies penguin style to stop myself freezing up mind you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭tiegan

Yup, if not biblical it will certainly be baltic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Number arrived today as well. Just getting out of a bout of flu but hopefully will be fixed for next Sunday. Too bad it's going to be a cold one.

I find that cold only comes to play if race is delayed, like last year, which was delayed 13mins. Typically I have my warm up routine done within 5min to gun time. For 10 miles you will be going at a pace that you will be warm in no time again. Many over dress and suffer after awhile due to the raised HR from the extra layers or wearing a boil-in-a-bag jacket. If its raining then I use a black bin liner and tear a hole into the top to keep dry while waiting for the race, or if extremely cold due to wind chill then pick up a cheap t-shirt in Pennys or similar that you can throw away at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

once you receive your race number in the post you are good for start, no need to go to any registration hall etc...toe on the line baby :D
    Thanks you

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭tiegan

viperlogic wrote: »
    I find that cold only comes to play if race is delayed, like last year, which was delayed 13mins. Typically I have my warm up routine done within 5min to gun time. For 10 miles you will be going at a pace that you will be warm in no time again. Many over dress and suffer after awhile due to the raised HR from the extra layers or wearing a boil-in-a-bag jacket. If its raining then I use a black bin liner and tear a hole into the top to keep dry while waiting for the race, or if extremely cold due to wind chill then pick up a cheap t-shirt in Pennys or similar that you can throw away at the start.

Thanks for the advice - as a newbie a black bin bag would seem like a good plan in case of hail/rain/sleet showers. We rely on you more experienced runners to give us your tips, much appreciated!!

Stunning day albeit cold with a cold breeze. Good luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Classic race held to it's usual high standards.

In the way of all good races they learnt from last year and dispensed with the icy hailstorm at the start this time around:). Blue skies, 6 degrees, light breeze - perfect formula for racing.

Can't comment on the spread as had to head away but the goody bag and Nike dri-fit tee as good as ever.

PB and a blistered foot*, what more can you ask for:rolleyes:.

* Teach me for adjusting my laces just before the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Loved it. Needed sun block it was so sunny today. Loved the new route, great atmosphere, great stewards and great support from the locals.

Didn't get to the spread as had to go but normally all the vultures (the faster runners) have snaffled all the nice stuff before I get there anyway!

One gripe and its a constant for a lot of races, only large size t-shirts left for the slower runners. Most people at the slower end of races are women, and we prefer small/medium sized T's.

I'll be back next year.

• Advertisement

A great race again in Dungarvan. The organisers made sure there was no delay to starting the race, the drone was great, I want one!!

The altered route was grand, I actually preferred the finish today over the original finish.

Didn't go to the hall for grub after, I'm usually in a heap after a hard race so queuing isn't for me.
    Nice goody bag as usual, well done to the organisers...again.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

My first time at this event, couldn't agree more -the organisation, facilities, parking, food, technical shirt, pacers, fast course and weather as good as you can get for this time of year. Will definitely be back.

Only query, why the chips were not read at the start line, only gun time given in the results. Is there some technical reason for this?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

Loved it. Needed sun block it was so sunny today. Loved the new route, great atmosphere, great stewards and great support from the locals.

Didn't get to the spread as had to go but normally all the vultures (the faster runners) have snaffled all the nice stuff before I get there anyway!

One gripe and its a constant for a lot of races, only large size t-shirts left for the slower runners. Most people at the slower end of races are women, and we prefer small/medium sized T's.

I'll be back next year.

In all fairness to the organisers, the spread at Dungarvan today was excellent. There was loads of pavlova and Rocky Road left towards the end, stacks of food left over.
    A lot of the West Waterford club had been left hungry at the Waterford AC Half Marathon earlier in the year due to the faster runners feeding their families etc. What really stuck in the craw was the attitude on the day and comments on Facebook from WAC like "we're under no obligation to feed anyone".
    This was duly noted in Dungarvan and everyone was very well fed, the best organised and catered spread I have ever seen at a race. Fair dues to WWAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Well organised and great value as always from WWAC.Weather was very kind for this time of year too.
    The only issue is not having a start mat for the chip,took me 36secs to get to the start as i set the watch from the line-which makes the finish time posted almost irrelevant to people down the field.In fairness for anyone even half decent the difference would be <15 secs. Great t-shirt and much better than last years dublin marathon race series efforts for example (which were very good in previous years).

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Have always enjoyed this race but this year I was put off by the really early registration deadline. Can't remember exactly when it was, but seemed ages ago! Interesting to note that the website has a list of entrants (2075) and finishers (1559). Am I correct in that this means over 500 people paid the entry fee but didn't run? Generally I don't like these v early registration times (marathons excepted) - the race is going to sell out anyways, so why do it so far ahead

Interesting to note that the Trim AC 10 miler was also today, was taking entrants on the morning and received great reviews. I don't know if any WWAC guys are on here - I love the Dungarvan race, but with these entry deadlines I'll be doing Trim next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

A lot of the West Waterford club had been left hungry at the Waterford AC Half Marathon earlier in the year due to the faster runners feeding their families etc. What really stuck in the craw was the attitude on the day and comments on Facebook from WAC like "we're under no obligation to feed anyone".
    This was duly noted in Dungarvan and everyone was very well fed, the best organised and catered spread I have ever seen at a race. Fair dues to WWAC.[/QUOTE]

My comment about the "vultures" was made tongue in cheek - I couldn't go to the spread afterwards yesterday but I do agree with your comment on the Waterford HM. I was one of the people who missed out on anything after that race while non-runners chomped away.

I loved the race yesterday, everything about it and I hope they keep the new route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Great event yesterday I thought, small bit nippy at the start but was ok once we got going. First time I've seen a drone at a race, pretty cool views.

Onwards to Ballycotton now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Great race, great organisation and a great PB too - first time under 70! like a couple of others only gripe would be the lack of chip time and only gun time - but other than that brilliant day!

Another happy camper here, PB'd with a sub 62. Congrats WWAC on running a great race. I've done a small race report here in my training log http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057204668&page=16

• Advertisement
Advertisement