Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens if i get a job while claiming JA?

• 21-01-2015 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭

As title states.
    Can't really find an answer to this question.
    I have been claiming for jobseeker allowance for at least 4 months now, process was quite slow, but now they have come back to pace. But I do not think they are going to give it to me, I feel they will try to avoid it, but that's just a feeling. They seem distrustful and reluctant.
    Now finally there seems to be some movement on the job front, I am finally starting to receive some calls, though nothing happened yet, but at least someone reached out in some way.

Now what happens if I get the job, would I get a back payment or will it just poof away? I have still something to mantain me but this would really help me to breathe a little.
    Also tempted to start self-employement, but I don't know what that implies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If you qualify for the Jobseekers payment it will be backdated to the date you claimed minus the first three days.

You would need to go and talk to the SW about starting any work, including self-employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭stillalive88

You mean like notify them in some way, a "hey I am working now" kind of message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You mean like notify them in some way, a "hey I am working now" kind of message?

If you get full time work, then you close your claim. Usually best to do this in person if you are still awaiting decision on your Jobseekers aplication but it can be done online https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/CloseClaim.aspx If you get part time work or commence self employment then you need to give details as it will affect your means test etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭stillalive88

Balagan wrote: »
    If you get full time work, then you close your claim. Usually best to do this in person if you are still awaiting decision on your Jobseekers aplication but it can be done online If you get part time work or commence self employment then you need to give details as it will affect your means test etc.,

But what happens when you close your claim?

Advertisement