Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking up construction studies

• 21-01-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I am a TY student and I'm considering taking up construction studies for leaving cert, I did not do it for junior cert and I was wondering if it would be too hard to catch up on the theory or if it would be manageable. Also what does the syllabus consist of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

The exact same question was just asked yesterday in a thread so I'll paste my reply. Additionally you can find the syllabus here but I'd recommend you to look up a past exam paper or two to get a feel for the subject.

There's a compulsory drawing question and an optional one too.

The syllabus itself is very different from woodwork at junior cert level, so you'd have no problem picking up the theory.

There's a project worth 10% and a practical test worth 25% so that's potentially 35% requiring practical skills. I say potentially because you could do a theory project or make a model house, as opposed to making a furniture piece.

While it would be advantageous to have done woodwork it is by no means necessary.

A word of caution though, the A1 rate is 2%, the 3rd lowest of all subjects. While it's easy to get a B, if not an A2, the A1 requires a very balanced student. Usually people will find a weakness in either the practical, drawing or theory element and this may make it difficult to get the A1.

Advertisement