Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HeatMiser not working?

• 21-01-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭

A gas bill for almost €1000 for 2 months!!:eek:

Surely the heatmiser should live up to it's name by saving money?

Even when it's on the timer the radiators don't go off and the boiler seems to run day and night.

I have it set to go on at 7.30 a.m and go off at 8.30 a.m yet at 10 a.m the radiators are going full blast even though the house is empty.

What is going on with this yoke?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

mfceiling wrote: »
    A gas bill for almost €1000 for 2 months!!:eek:

Surely the heatmiser should live up to it's name by saving money?

Even when it's on the timer the radiators don't go off and the boiler seems to run day and night.

I have it set to go on at 7.30 a.m and go off at 8.30 a.m yet at 10 a.m the radiators are going full blast even though the house is empty.

What is going on with this yoke?

what stats are u using and what temp do u set in demand and off demand. Heatmiser is not an on/off switch but a temp demand during a time interval, eg 8pm - 10pm set @ 20C then 10pm to 7am set to 5C. If set in off demand with a high temp it will stay on 24/7, hence the high bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The stats are also heatmiser. The missus has downstairs at 23, the middle floor at 21 and the top floor at 19.

Am I reading you correctly that I need to set it at a low temp for the periods when it should be "off" (timer not on) - because it will still try to heat the house even though it is in the off position? Seems a bit mental!!

Just tried to re-set the times...it won't let me input a temperature for the times.

Set to come on (wake function) at 7 and go off at 8.30. The next sequence is a "leave" function which we have followed the instructions for both times to show " -- --". The "return" is set for 4.30 and to go off at 9.30. The sleep function is set at "-- --"

Those are the times that have been there for the past 2 months - yet even in the "leave function" showing "-- --" the rads are still blasting.

Are we snookered with this thing? Not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Your boiler is going to be going at full tilt to maintain a temperature of 23c downstairs, particularly if the house insulation isn't up to scratch.
    P.S. which model are you using?

Heroditas wrote: »
    Your boiler is going to be going at full tilt to maintain a temperature of 23c downstairs, particularly if the house insulation isn't up to scratch.
    P.S. which model are you using?

The house should be well insulated - rated at B1...and i've since added an additional 300mm quilt on top of the attic insulation. Timber frame house only built about 6 years.

The model number i'm not sure of - booklet provided says PRT/PRT-N

Boiler is vokera and there is some sort of magna cylinder in the hotpress. The radiators never seem to go off when you don't need heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah the cylinder is for the magna cleanse.
    Keeps reissue and rust from building up inside the pipes and radiators.
    I'm not sure but I think it's the temperature set points. You may need to reduce the temperature and set times for "away" and "sleep".
    Even with a B1 house, you're still going to get heat loss in the winter and 23c is quite a toasty temperature I would have thought.
    What sort of wall insulation do you have? Dry lining or pumped cavity wall or pumped cavity block?

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yeah the cylinder is for the magna cleanse.
    Keeps reissue and rust from building up inside the pipes and radiators.
    I'm not sure but I think it's the temperature set points. You may need to reduce the temperature and set times for "away" and "sleep".
    Even with a B1 house, you're still going to get heat loss in the winter and 23c is quite a toasty temperature I would have thought.
    What sort of wall insulation do you have? Dry lining or pumped cavity wall or pumped cavity block?

Not sure what it is tbh. Timber frame so i'd imagine brick face, osb, timber frame packed with rockwool. I have a serious problem with a wife who goes at the wall thermostat and sets it at 25!! I mean seriously - who the fcuk needs a house at that temp? Even last night she sat with a blanket around her and moaned of the cold while i read the paper beside her in a t-shirt and jeans!!

That's actually a good idea about setting temps for away and asleep - anything is worth a shot at this stage.

Thanks again!!

EDIT - there-in lies my problem. The wall stat won't let me input any temperature for any period on the timer - therefore the initial temp setting is what we get day and night.

Advertisement