Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia Ceed 2012 -2015 1.6d Model

• 21-01-2015 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi
    im looking to trade my d4d 08 corolla in this year, and was thinking of the above model as a starter point, any opinions welcomed
    Moderate family mileage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

I would highly recommend the Kia Ceed based on my experiences. I purchased a 2008 model ex rental in 2008 and have since done over 200k km in it. Must say that the 1.6d is the best diesel for fuel consumption I have had. Getting about 55mpg from it- mixed driving, 50/50 motorway/short spins

No issues with reliability whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

My dad bought one new in 2013, top of the range Platinum spec with Nav, heated leather, xenons, panoramic roof - the works. He wanted a smaller trouble free car when he was retiring.

The diesel engine is good for what it is, quiet, pretty smooth and not too bad to run. Decent sized boot and back seat.

He's had constant problems with it since he got it. Air Con, reversing camera, handbrake all failed and now it loses power randomly. Between the dealer and Kia themselves looking at it the car still isn't right and he's lost faith in it. Everything rattles and has worn badly, the cars only got 30k km on it.

I know there's lemons from all makes but this is just to give an alternate view of the previous post and what will no doubt be posted below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting to hear this story MuppetCheck, as I tend to find on this site that Kia's are held up as fantastic cars, with many champions of them running down VWs or Fords.

Was all your father's car faults fixed under their 7yr warranty?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Interesting to hear this story MuppetCheck, as I tend to find on this site that Kia's are held up as fantastic cars, with many champions of them running down VWs or Fords.

Was all your father's car faults fixed under their 7yr warranty?

All bar the power loss without question. The dealers been helpful and all that too. They want to replace the clocks (it's a screen on this one). His mileage will go back to zero if this happens which he isn't at all comfortable with. Plus if it doesn't rectify the problem he'll only have lost out.

As you say, your Dad could just have been unlocky and got a bad one, can happen with any brand. Generally they are well reviewed, and even considered one myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

finnan1 wrote: »
    Hi
    im looking to trade my d4d 08 corolla in this year, and was thinking of the above model as a starter point, any opinions welcomed
    Moderate family mileage

Personally I'd have the i30 instead. I think its a nicer car despite being very similar to the KIA mechanically. Would you consider a new model corolla? It would be a nice step up from what you have whilst also retaining the very quiet refined, and reliable d4d engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Could have written this thread myself!!
    I too have a Corolla, and I'm really torn between the Pro'ceed and the i30. The Corolla is petrol, but I'd definitely be getting a diesel next time round.

So the proceed and i30 are the top two on my list.
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

In my opinion both the Ceed and I30 are highly over-rated. The only area where they are superior to the competition is in terms of warranty.

People on here like to put them on a pedestal and compare them to Golf/Focus in a positive light both in terms of reliability and driving experience but in my opinion they aren't any more reliable and are a long way off in terms of driving experience.

I have made the point on here before that if Ford/VW had produced the I30/Ceed and unveiled it as the new Golf/Focus then they would be slated, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

In my opinion both the Ceed and I30 are highly over-rated. The only area where they are superior to the competition is in terms of warranty.

People on here like to put them on a pedestal and compare them to Golf/Focus in a positive light both in terms of reliability and driving experience but in my opinion they aren't any more reliable and are a long way off in terms of driving experience.

I have made the point on here before that if Ford/VW had produced the I30/Ceed and unveiled it as the new Golf/Focus then they would be slated, and rightly so.
    You come across as a bit of a snob tbh. You seem to have something against asian cars in general. Tbh their is Nothing at all wrong with the cee'd or i30 with the way they drive.

If anything it's ford and vw that's overrated, vw especially so. Nothing great about them mechanically at all and they give more than their fair share of problems for a brand with a "quality" image in the eyes of many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

If anything it's ford and vw that's overrated, vw especially so. Nothing great about them mechanically at all and they give more than their fair share of problems for a brand with a "quality" image in the eyes of many.

Agreed. Plenty of friends have both these cars and they always seem to be having trouble.
    I honestly wouldn't get anything other than a toyota,(hyundai,kia), nissan, even mazda. Think they do it best. mind you, if money was endless, i'd be getting a mustang or something ;)

• Advertisement

You come across as a bit of a snob tbh. You seem to have something against asian cars in general. Tbh their is Nothing at all wrong with the cee'd or i30 with the way they drive.

It should be pointed out that liking or disliking the way cars drive is a pretty subjective thing. That's why I said "in my opinion" in my post. I wasn't trying to present it as a fact like you are doing ;)

You are spot on saying that I have something against Asian cars. I personally don't like most Asian cars at all. I don't like the way they drive, I don't like their interiors. Up to the very latest models I don't like the way they look. You could put me blindfolded in any car and I could most definitely tell you if it was Asian or not by the time I had sat in the drivers seat and closed the door. They just don't do it for me at all. And I have driven literally thousands of cars so I have a pretty decent sample size to form my opinion on what I like and dislike.

However I would still recommend an Asian car in lots of cases where people ask me for advice on what to buy. EG if someone wants a small car for less than say €4000 it would have to be Yaris all day long because they are head and shoulders above the competition in terms of reliability. But the Ceed/I30 situation isn't one of those cases.

There is nothing great about Kia or Hyundai either, that is my point. So where is the advantage in owning one? They aren't really even any cheaper than Ford or VW either which for me removes the principal reason up to now for buying one.

Yes there is.

The steering is the main bug bear. It's one of the most artificial feeling of any car that I have driven. It's overly keen to return to centre and surprisingly vague. It inspires very little confidence. It sways a little bit too much when cornering and the gear change is poor also.

Since he's had the car I've had a Mazda, an Opel and a Seat to compare it against - each one drove significantly better.

There's nothing wrong - maybe. But it's really a step behind the more polished Japs and Europeans.

Yes there is.

The steering is the main bug bear. It's one of the most artificial feeling of any car that I have driven. It's overly keen to return to centre and surprisingly vague. It inspires very little confidence. It sways a little bit too much when cornering and the gear change is poor also.

Those are the two things that I don't like about them as well.

The steering I would describe as "springy" As you say it is way too keen to return to centre and is also very imprecise. The Nissan Qashqai is quite similar which for me ruins an otherwise decent car.

The gearchange is also poor. I don't know if anyone reading this thread is familiar with the gearchange in a pre facelift (1999-2001) Mk1 Focus diesel but it is quite similar to the Kia/Hyundai. Meanwhile Ford have moved the game on quite a bit with the subsequent Focus models!

As someone looking at cars over the last year or so, Kia's and Hyundai's are now practically pitched directly against the likes of VW, Ford, Nissan, Mazda etc, as their prices have risen significantly since they improved the design a few years back.

I think a lot of their sales are due to their warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're also advertising quite a lot too, especially Hyundai.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

I hate the glitzy looking DRLs on all the Korean cars. I saw a few 151 Hyundai cross overs on the road, they have the brightest DRLs I have ever seen on a car. DRL's on something like a Golf are much more subtle. Yes we see you Kia/Hyundai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭finnan1

Personally I'd have the i30 instead. I think its a nicer car despite being very similar to the KIA mechanically. Would you consider a new model corolla? It would be a nice step up from what you have whilst also retaining the very quiet refined, and reliable d4d engine.

Was hoping to maybe get a little more omph as they say, the d4d is all those things you say, but a bit more power might be nice !
    im looking at many models at the moment, focus, Mazda3, etc...
    Just came across the ceed lately though.

food for thought, thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Col_30 wrote: »
    I hate the glitzy looking DRLs on all the Korean cars. I saw a few 151 Hyundai cross overs on the road, they have the brightest DRLs I have ever seen on a car. DRL's on something like a Golf are much more subtle. Yes we see you Kia/Hyundai.

They are led so meant to be bright unlike the much more bland yellow halogen ones that most Golfs have fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

bazz26 wrote: »
    They are led so meant to be bright unlike the much more bland yellow halogen ones that most Golfs have fitted.

Thanks. I understand the concept completely. I think they are too bright and look awful. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

However I would still recommend an Asian car in lots of cases where people ask me for advice on what to buy.

Me too. If someone knows and cares nothing about cars and regards driving as a tedious but necessary evil, I'd recommend they buy an asian car.

Serve them right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement