Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 upgrade to be free

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Wonder what the chances of a free upgrade for those of us running tiny7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dunno, I'm just wondering what the catch is gonna be here.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm quite happy with 8 to be honest

Will take the upgrade though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended last Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

what's wrong with win 8?

stick classic start bar on and its one of the best os ever

but will get 10 as soon as the 1st service pack is out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

XP with classic/basic style wasn't bad, anything to save a bit of RAM/Processing, even on my quad-i7 with dedicated 3gb gfx card.

However the more folks they have on one single system the better it is for their UX team to integrate stuff like their new Holographic Glasses and Spartan.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0121/674674-microsoft-unveils-more-details-about-windows-10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

WIndozeXP 4lyf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

They lost me at Vista… :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm happy out with Win7

With 8 is a heap of sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Once again, Windows 9 users are treated like they don't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm quite happy with 8 to be honest

Will take the upgrade though

Did you not upgrade to 8.1 at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm also happy with 8.1.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Did you not upgrade to 8.1 at all?

I did actually, I tend to forget :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'm happy out with Win7

With 8 is a heap of sh*te.

any chance of an explatation on why you think win 8 is "sh1te"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I was happy with 8.1 Update. W10 was a welcome improvement.
    kingtiger wrote: »
    but will get 10 as soon as the 1st service pack is out

Even the consumer preview is pretty stable tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The the best thing about windows 8 is that it got me to use ubuntu as my default OS. No idea how people got by before they updated to 8.1.

Nim wrote: »
    Even the consumer preview is pretty stable tbh

have it on a partition and like it,

I just always wait for the 1st service pack to make it my primary OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I can't understand the hate for Win 8 or 8.1.

Sure 8 was a bit bloated but the upgrade sorted that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The the best thing about windows 8 is that it got me to use ubuntu as my default browser. No idea how people got by before they updated to 8.1.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thank God for that, may very well breathe new life into my aging MacBook Air .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The the best thing about windows 8 is that it got me to use ubuntu as my default browser. No idea how people got by before they updated to 8.1.

I didn't know Ubuntu did browsers :pac:

Ah, I see. Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I've double glazed windows here, will this effect me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The IT guys only recently upgraded our desktops from Windows XP to Windows 7. We also have to use this intolerable system called Citrix. While I like Windows 7, having to suffer the ignominy of using this citrix rubbish is really causing stress and frustration amongst the finance and trading staff who actually make the company money. I've emailed the CIO on a number of occasions to express our dissatisfaction with the whole thing. Was it even tested in a high-volume trading environment? Another example of IT not listening to the needs of its customer base.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Karl Stein wrote: »
    WIndozeXP 4lyf

pfft, Windows 98SE is where its really at!

Best gaming OS for years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The IT guys only recently upgraded our desktops from Windows XP to Windows 7. We also have to use this intolerable system called Citrix. While I like Windows 7, having to suffer the ignominy of using this citrix rubbish is really causing stress and frustration amongst the finance and trading staff who actually make the company money. I've emailed the CIO on a number of occasions to express our dissatisfaction with the whole thing. Was it even tested in a high-volume trading environment? Another example of IT not listening to the needs of its customer base.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what happened in the civil service in Ireland. What are the chances eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

El Weirdo wrote: »
    :confused:
    Nim wrote: »
    I didn't know Ubuntu did browsers :pac:

oops, fixed it.

I read they plan on doing smaller updates more frequently instead of large updates as server packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My double glazed are good enough for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We also have to use this intolerable system called Citrix.
    It might be bitter but a least it's rich in Vitamin C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended last Tuesday.

Don't worry, the underground will help keep the scene alive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

What will happen after the free year if you decide not to buy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

manutd83 wrote: »
    What will happen after the free year if you decide not to buy,
    If you upgrade free it will be yours to keep I assume but they will probably have something to stop people backsliding:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Dont see the advantage, my windows 95 is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

But they did say free upgrade for a year so i assume they have some plan of what will happen if you decide not to pay to keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Birneybau wrote: »
    Funnily enough, that's exactly what happened in the civil service in Ireland. What are the chances eh?

Rather high I would imagine? :confused:

Can't imagine we are the only organisation in Europe using this microsoft 7 and citrix combination. Net productivity must be way down as a result of having to wait for screens to refresh. Unbelievable tosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

All I want in a ms o/s is the haunted house theme from win98 back and bring back clippy as well.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Choice of Citrix or Windows XP?

I hate XP far more. Having to use it at the moment. I'd actually forgotten the blue screens of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

manutd83 wrote: »
    But they did say free upgrade for a year so i assume they have some plan of what will happen if you decide not to pay to keep it

You have one year to upgrade for free. You pay if you choose to upgrade after a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Netscape til I die

any chance of an explatation on why you think win 8 is "sh1te"

Personal opinion.

Like my traditional home screen, icons and settings without the need to the new fancy menu system. Win7 never gave me problems.

Not a fan of new start screen, charm on the side (pulling widgets) apps -ain't a tablet, the rearranging and hiding of basic functions, the whole hover the mouse over the top right hand screen for functions and options, etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

cirtix software is far from rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Personal opinion.

Like my traditional home screen, icons and settings without the need to the new fancy menu system. Win7 never gave me problems.

Not a fan of new start screen, charm on the side (pulling widgets) apps -ain't a tablet, the rearranging and hiding of basic functions, the whole hover the mouse over the top right hand screen for functions and options, etc, etc.
    Set it to load to desktop over comes a load of those problems. You barly have to go to the start screen then and if you are on 8.1 a right click of the windows button gives you the option to shut down the machine. Meaning no need for the charm function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Still waiting for re-introduction of hot dog stand desktop theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I won't be bothering with that windows 10 junk either, my pc is not a tablet. Windows 8 is terrible, I gave it 3 weeks and then removed it back to windows 7. Windows 7 professional does everything I need so there is no point in up/down-grading at this time. I'll pick a stable operating system any-day over an unstable windows 8 system.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Set it to load to desktop over comes a load of those problems. You barly have to go to the start screen then and if you are on 8.1 a right click of the windows button gives you the option to shut down the machine. Meaning no need for the charm function.

Some not all. Win7 did it all for me. And win8 does not use windowsblinds very well.
    Will stay with Win7 for a while longer.

the metro screen can be removed and you can have classic windows 7 start by simply installing Classic Shell, I don't see any new Windows 8 metro crap as its pretty much hidden

@bongalong I call bullsh1t on Windows 8 being unstable, its rock solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

the metro screen can be removed and you can have classic windows 7 start by simply installing Classic Shell, I don't see any new Windows 8 metro crap as its pretty much hidden

Agreed, i run mine as a media server, weeks at a time, no reboots, runs along using about 2.5 gig of memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The first thing I did when I bought my new laptop was attempt to install Ubuntu but the only way of doing that would have been to wipe Windows 8. It's the first time I've ever had that problem. I've read articles on how to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 8 but it's very complicated and I'm afraid to try it.

I'm stuck using Windows now although at least this version isn't as annoying as Windows 7. I do hate that annoying 'charm' menu thing which I can't figure out how to get rid of. Why they developed an operating system designed for mobile phones and put it on laptops is beyond me.

I won't be partaking in downloading Windows 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Come-on, even microsoft came out and said it was a big mistake and they wanted to get rid of windows 8 asap as it's a pile of junk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Come-on, even microsoft came out and said it was a big mistake and they wanted to get rid of windows 8 asap as it's a pile of junk.

Bunkum!!!! Windows 8.1 is rock solid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement