Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 upgrade to be free

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I recently bought a little convertible tablet that came with Windows 8.1. I'll probably put Linux on it eventually, but for what I use it for I'm OK with 8.1 and might be with Win10. I want a UNIX-style command line, so I installed Cygwin.

Microsoft has let me down badly in the past, but everyone deserves a second chance, I suppose.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

I'll be sticking with Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Shrap wrote: »
    I totally agree about win8, but can't get my head around any Linux. Don't you have to be able to write computer speak (code?) to get it to do anything different? I loved Ubuntu for a while, till whatever programme it was that used to control my sound decided it was no longer compatible with running my sound card and I ended up desperately looking through lists of add-ons or programs (whatever they are) to try and find one that didn't need me to be an IT manager to understand! Linux is very tough on people who's last computer speak lesson was pre-windows MsDOS (although I can still manage to use them ok).

Hmmm well Ubunu 14.04 is more or less a Comfy easy to use Linux that looks a lot like windows.

Though you should have some IT knowledge if planning to use, you certainly don't need to be able to code to do anything out of the ordainary :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Meesared wrote: »
    People have a serious case of rose tinted glasses with XP, it had serious issues up till SP1 and even to a point SP2. It also was a serious resource hog, it took like a year before system specs for PC's caught up so they could run it decently. And don't even get me started on the abysmal 64 bit version of XP.

As a Windows user since 3.1, I can assure you that XP was the best OS I have ever used and there are no glasses involved of any shade.

YMMV, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

For some....good news for those unfortunates with the mistake that is Windows 8. Windows 7 users also to get free upgrade.:)

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/microsoft-to-offer-free-upgrade-to-windows-10-30926749.html

Find Windows 8.1 better than 7 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Tony EH wrote: »
    As a Windows user since 3.1, I can assure you that XP was the best OS I have ever used and there are no glasses involved of any shade.

YMMV, of course.
    You clearly didn't use it when it first came out, it was not good.

I never use any windows release when it's just out. Only a fool would do that.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Find Windows 8.1 better than 7 tbh.

I disagree. 98SE and win2k were amazing. It took me years to get around to installing XP (it was at SP2). When I did it only lasted a short while before I upgraded to 7.

The first machine I bought came with ME. I booted it up, installed my favourite game (Mechwarrior 2). I started the game, got a blue screen and whipped out the 98 disk. I had ME on my system for a total of 10 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Shrap wrote: »
    I totally agree about win8, but can't get my head around any Linux. Don't you have to be able to write computer speak (code?) to get it to do anything different? I loved Ubuntu for a while, till whatever programme it was that used to control my sound decided it was no longer compatible with running my sound card and I ended up desperately looking through lists of add-ons or programs (whatever they are) to try and find one that didn't need me to be an IT manager to understand! Linux is very tough on people who's last computer speak lesson was pre-windows MsDOS (although I can still manage to use them ok).
    Linux Mint or CentOS are very easy to move from Windows to! Also Linux Mint is Irish! The great thing about Linux is that you can trie as many Distributions you want until you find what is right for you, no charges! Sure even install to an extrenal drive until ready to move to an internal drive!

OSI wrote: »
    French.
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint

Linux Mint

Last Update: 2014-11-28 01:29 UTC

mint.png Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a m

• Advertisement

It's project lead and both it's maintainers are French.

You did not say that, either way its origin is Ireland. So I was not incorrect.

So the guy who created it, and leads it sill is French and the first release came while he was still in France, and it's origin is Ireland. Right so.
    Maybe you can contact Distrowatch and correct them also. I think its great that its origin is Ireland and hope that helps people move over to Linux Mint here!

You can check out the Lead devs post on Boards.ie here, he is happy to mention it was developed in Athlone!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055685658
    clemyeats wrote: »
    It is being developed in Athlone, county Westmeath and as I'm now working full time on it and leaving my former employer I would be interested in meeting the local Linux users and LUGs in the midlands.
    Clem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Linux Mint or CentOS are very easy to move from Windows to! Also Linux Mint is Irish! The great thing about Linux is that you can trie as many Distributions you want until you find what is right for you, no charges! Sure even install to an extrenal drive until ready to move to an internal drive!

Jaysus.. over a decade on and you still get Linux heads trying to convert people at every chance.. "buy Irish" is a new one though :)

Think about it... people stayed away from Win 8 because they changed the skin/Start menu. How many do you think will start faffing around with command lines to do basic functions? Or what happens when they discover that their games, or applications don't work or exist in many cases? Sure there may be an equivalent - even a free, better equivalent! - but your average punter won't want to know at that stage.

Why do you think Linux has never taken off in the mainstream, despite being free?? Because it's an OS.. it's supposed to enable you to get things done, not be a chore in itself (something Windows has gotten increasingly better at fixing with each iteration)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Jaysus.. over a decade on and you still get Linux heads trying to convert people at every chance.. "buy Irish" is a new one though :)

Think about it... people stayed away from Win 8 because they changed the skin/Start menu. How many do you think will start faffing around with command lines to do basic functions? Or what happens when they discover that their games, or applications don't work or exist in many cases? Sure there may be an equivalent - even a free, better equivalent! - but your average punter won't want to know at that stage.

Why do you think Linux has never taken off in the mainstream, despite being free?? Because it's an OS.. it's supposed to enable you to get things done, not be a chore in itself (something Windows has gotten increasingly better at fixing with each iteration)
    We are like the Mormons of the IT world! The moment you question faith in Microsoft we bring are at your doorstep!
    I do all my gaming on windows and all my productivity on Linux. Suits my needs and may suit others too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

jaffusmax wrote: »
    We are like the Mormons of the IT world! The moment you question faith in Microsoft we bring are at your doorstep!
    I do all my gaming on windows and all my productivity on Linux. Suits my needs and may suit others too!

same as myself. For non-work/coding stuff linux is pretty lame, lack of games, no netflix, skype is shiite. But those linux window movement shortcuts and workspaces you do miss when you go back to windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Spunge wrote: »
    same as myself. For non-work/coding stuff linux is pretty lame, lack of games, no netflix, skype is shiite. But those linux window movement shortcuts and workspaces you do miss when you go back to windows.

Don't worry, Microsoft is finally copying them in Windows 910.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Sorry Windows 8 has crashed again. Please standby for your regular dance tune interlude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

fuinneogs a deich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

For non-work/coding stuff linux is pretty lame, lack of games, no netflix, skype is shiite.
    Netflix works natively on chrome, and the game situation has improved, not to the level of Windows, but it is definitely getting there.

Skype is still shiite though, just in general, I've no idea what the state of the linux client is these days.

There is always some alternative to Windows programs, VALVE/GOG are doing great work getting games onto Linux and with STEAM OS on the horizon along with the Vulkan API things look decent enough on LINUX but not perfect although neither is Windows!

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

• Advertisement

Knasher wrote: »
    Netflix works natively on chrome, and the game situation has improved, not to the level of Windows, but it is definitely getting there.

Skype is still shiite though, just in general, I've no idea what the state of the linux client is these days.

doesnt work at all for me. tried the latest chrome hack plugin, same ****. silverlight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Bad news I've heard. I might post links later but I've heard that it's likely that manufacturers of win 10 machines will be able to prevent users from disabling
    secure boot in the bios, meaning after you buy the machine, you can't later on install Linux as an alternative os

Adamantium wrote: »
    Sorry Windows 8 has crashed again. Please standby for your regular dance tune interlude.

I tried to roll back to a previous restore point on Win 8 last week. It couldn't do it. It couldn't even manage that. In fact it blanked my desktop and took a couple of further hours doing a recovery at boot stage to get everything back to normal. I am now afraid to execute restore points. A basic function of the Windows operating system.

Fuck windows 8.

But, if it had that tune playing while it screwed itself up, it would have been a slightly better experience.

Worst OS since Vista.

In fact Vista was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Bad news I've heard. I might post links later but I've heard that it's likely that manufacturers of win 10 machines will be able to prevent users from disabling
    secure boot in the bios, meaning after you buy the machine, you can't later on install Linux as an alternative os

Not neceserally, I have a machine with UEFI secure boot running win 10 tech preview and which has no option to switch it off from within the BIOS (the legacy boot option is there but is un-selectable). I was still able to install other operating systems on it by restarting to the windows bootloader (via advanced startup options) from there I could install whatever I wanted by cd/usb or ethernet. It takes longer than the old way of just hitting f2 on start up and changing the boot order but its more secure as you need to log in in the first place to get to this point.

What Secure boot UEFI prevents is someone just putting in a live or CD/USB to bypass (password protected) windows log in and have access to everything. It also prevents malware (rootkits/bootkits) from affecting the pre boot enviornment.

(Btw if anyone ever has physical access to a machine they can do whatever they want to it no matter how strong your windows password is, because they dont even need it. BIOS passwords can be reset by removing and re inserting the CMOS battery too. :cool: )

Some info on UEFI:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

kingtiger wrote: »
    what's wrong with win 8?

Yesterday one of the kids changed my keyboard layout to US Keyboard but didn't know how. I spent 5 mins trying to put it back to Irish English Keyboard. All the regional settings in the control panel were fine, and I couldn't figure out what else needed to be changed. I went through every likely control panel icon and still nothing.

Then I realised that I had to lock the computer, press a key to get to the password prompt, then click the little icon on the bottom right, choose Irish English keyboard, then enter my password.

And that my friend is why Windows 8 sucks. It's so completely user unfriendly and its interface was designed by a sadist or some block in India earning $2 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

anto3473 wrote: »
    Not neceserally, I have a machine with UEFI secure boot running win 10 tech preview and which has no option to switch it off from within the BIOS (the legacy boot option is there but is un-selectable). I was still able to install other operating systems on it by restarting to the windows bootloader (via advanced startup options) from there I could install whatever I wanted by cd/usb or ethernet. It takes longer than the old way of just hitting f2 on start up and changing the boot order but its more secure as you need to log in in the first place to get to this point.

What Secure boot UEFI prevents is someone just putting in a live or CD/USB to bypass (password protected) windows log in and have access to everything. It also prevents malware (rootkits/bootkits) from affecting the pre boot enviornment.

(Btw if anyone ever has physical access to a machine they can do whatever they want to it no matter how strong your windows password is, because they dont even need it. BIOS passwords can be reset by removing and re inserting the CMOS battery too. :cool: )

Some info on UEFI:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx

You're running a machine that you installed Win 10 on yourself. The article that I read, (I'll have to find it later) said that manufacturers of machines that come with Win 10 pre-installed were very likely to disable switching off Secure Boot in the BIOS. This could mean that if I buy a Win 10 machine from say Argos, and then a couple months later want to install a Linux distro over Win 10, I won't be able to.

EDIT
    Here it is
    http://www.techspot.com/news/60132-microsoft-leaving-option-disable-secure-boot-up-oems.html

Not neceserally, I have a machine with UEFI secure boot running win 10 tech preview and which has no option to switch it off from within the BIOS (the legacy boot option is there but is un-selectable). I was still able to install other operating systems on it by restarting to the windows bootloader
    You were able to boot into another operating system because Microsoft signed the bootloader from certain suppliers, so their distros will boot. Not all distros will. Even then it means that you can't do certain things, like load custom kernel modules.
    More importantly it also stops one of the main ways people use to bypass the checks Microsoft uses to detect pirated versions of Windows. Which is why people are losing the ability to disable it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Depraved wrote: »
    Yesterday one of the kids changed my keyboard layout to US Keyboard but didn't know how. I spent 5 mins trying to put it back to Irish English Keyboard. All the regional settings in the control panel were fine, and I couldn't figure out what else needed to be changed. I went through every likely control panel icon and still nothing.

Then I realised that I had to lock the computer, press a key to get to the password prompt, then click the little icon on the bottom right, choose Irish English keyboard, then enter my password.

And that my friend is why Windows 8 sucks. It's so completely user unfriendly and its interface was designed by a sadist or some block in India earning $2 a day.

Feel your pain.

I bought a Samsung Note 3 about 16 months ago and the menus were a bit different than I was used to so I think the entire phone is sh!t now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I read every single post and no one asked what I want to know.

How I get this upgrade? Do I go to settings in the computer or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah, recently Windows has taken to going "Hey, you know all that stuff you've been using since you were 13 and is second nature to you? We thought you'd enjoy spending an hour looking for it! Guess what we've renamed it as!"

One of the only good things about my work pc is that it's old enough to have the start menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kylith wrote: »
    We thought you'd enjoy spending an hour looking for it! .

Googled the keyboard layout thing and found a simple explanation on how to change it within about 15 seconds.

When I get home, I'll try out the steps on my Win 8.1 rig and see if it takes an hour.

I'm somehow guessing it won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

anncoates wrote: »
    Googled the keyboard layout thing and found a simple explanation on how to change it within about 15 seconds.

When I get home, I'll try out the steps on my Win 8.1 rig and see if it takes an hour.

I'm somehow guessing it won't.

Good luck Googling anything with a messed up keyboard layout!* But while you're at it try Googling "exaggeration for comedic effect".

I've spent ages looking for something that was in one section on older Windows only to give up and Google it, and find out it's been renamed and moved to somewhere else.

And don't get me started on the fck-up that is the new office layout. Sure, Microsoft, I much prefer having to go to a different menu to run a spellcheck instead of having the button right there. And removing the 'replace' option from the search function? Utter frigging genius!

*I use Dvorak. My co-workers hate me, especially since my keyboard itself is Qwerty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I read every single post and no one asked what I want to know.

How I get this upgrade? Do I go to settings in the computer or something?

From what I understand it will be available as a normal Windows Update to all win 7, 8 and 8.1 users. Also the update looks like it will be available to non "Genuine" users :)

Some info on UEFI:

i wish i could find the ****ing cmos reset on my laptop. i took the entire thing apart and broke a few keys on the keyboard looking for battery/jumpers coz i forgot the superadmin password on the bios. so i cant change any bios settings, and have to login everytime it boots with the normal bios password. :mad:

Now my windows key + Fn key + num 5,6,7,8,9 . i have to ****ing paste left parentheses from google. **** my life

Umm... Where it says ENG in the task bar, The language bar, click that and select Irish keyboard... You just done the same thing but from the lock screen, which you could have also done in any earlier version of windows too.

This setting has been in the same place since Windows 98 and you still would have needed to change it.

I really don't understand all the hate Windows 8.1 gets, it looks different yes but I wouldn't exactly call it hard to use or un-intuitive. Read whatever you are clicking at before you click it and you'll be fine.

People made the same complaints when Windows XP came out, that it looked different and confused them and that the start menu was all different and scary.

Its a bit like all the moaning that takes place any time the layout of Facebook slightly changes, pretty soon you wont even notice it and will forget what the old one even looked like. To use that reasoning to hang on to a legacy OS that does not preform as well and will be a security when the extended support finishes is something I find bemusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

MoodeRator wrote: »
    From what I understand it will be available as a normal Windows Update to all win 7, 8 and 8.1 users. Also the update looks like it will be available to non "Genuine" users :)

What does "non genuine" users mean? Is it people who are not very sincere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've used every version of windows since V1.0 and 8.1 is the only version i didnt find to be an improvement on the previous version. Changes for the sake of change. trying to make one OS work for both touchscreen and non-touchscreen PCs. It works as a tablet OS but not for desktops. Removing the Start button was a big enough error on its own.

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    You're running a machine that you installed Win 10 on yourself. The article that I read, (I'll have to find it later) said that manufacturers of machines that come with Win 10 pre-installed were very likely to disable switching off Secure Boot in the BIOS. This could mean that if I buy a Win 10 machine from say Argos, and then a couple months later want to install a Linux distro over Win 10, I won't be able to.

EDIT
    Here it is
    http://www.techspot.com/news/60132-microsoft-leaving-option-disable-secure-boot-up-oems.html

I'm running Windows 10 on a machine that had Win 8 pre installed and locked into the bios by Acer, I had to unlock the bios from within windows and was unable to access it from the pre boot environment using the keyboard, you need to use the windows bootloader to boot up or install other stuff since with UEFI you cant get into those options anymore. It does not lock down your OS but it prevents you from changing it before the computer starts up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

3rdDegree wrote: »
    What does "non genuine" users mean? Is it people who are not very sincere?

Pirates, or people who've used improperly licensed versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Poor old Win8. Incredibly low market share, bad public reaction, virtually non-existent in enterprise. 10 looks a lot better and seems to be indicative of the 'new' MS. We have it running on a few machines here and it's very nice.

• Advertisement

i wish i could find the ****ing cmos reset on my laptop. i took the entire thing apart and broke a few keys on the keyboard looking for battery/jumpers coz i forgot the superadmin password on the bios. so i cant change any bios settings, and have to login everytime it boots with the normal bios password. :mad:

Now my windows key + Fn key + num 5,6,7,8,9 . i have to ****ing paste left parentheses from google. **** my life

Ok dont try and open the computer when you are angry with it or you might break more stuff :P

First try this: Enter the bios, go to save & exit screen and load default settings.

This might reset the password. If not you will need to reset it on the motherboard, Most laptops actually have a dip switch rather than jumpers for reseting CMOS, This should be near the CMOS battery. Take note of which way all the switches are flipped then change them, then put them back to exactly the way they were while the CMOS battery is still in.

The other way of clearing the CMOS is removing taking out the CMOS battery and the main battery and leave them out for at least 10 mins before replacing them. In most laptops it should be in the bottom left quarter as you are looking at the back of the motherboard.

If this doesnt work you may need to have your motherboard re-flashed by the manufacturer, it may be cheaper to get a new m/b.

Knasher wrote: »
    You were able to boot into another operating system because Microsoft signed the bootloader from certain suppliers, so their distros will boot. Not all distros will. Even then it means that you can't do certain things, like load custom kernel modules.

More importantly it also stops one of the main ways people use to bypass the checks Microsoft uses to detect pirated versions of Windows. Which is why people are losing the ability to disable it now.

As far as i know there are no piracy checks during boot... yet....

Someone who may or may not have been me has used pirated windows 7 and 8/8.1 for years, the only reason I have a genuine copy now is it came with my new laptop.

The thing that checks windows for piracy is a system process called WAT (windows activation technology) which starts with windows (on a delayed start). People who want to use windows with this activation checking "feature" disabled just need to download and run a little bit of warez that I cant mention here but could easily be googled. Once the process has been stopped windows does not check itself to see is it genuine any more.

i remember installing ubuntu once and i chose irish somewhere along the line as you do. next thing all applications and folder names as gailge.

As far as i know there are no piracy checks during boot... yet....
    Secure boot means that only signed code will load (in ring 0), and I can't imagine that Microsoft will be signing the code of pirates any time soon.
    The thing that checks windows for piracy is a system process called WAT (windows activation technology) which starts with windows (on a delayed start). People who want to use windows with this activation checking "feature" disabled just need to download and run a little bit of warez that I cant mention here but could easily be googled. Once the process has been stopped windows does not check itself to see is it genuine any more.
    I'm not going to look too deeply into it, but I'd be very surprised if this software didn't accomplish that by injecting itself into the boot sequence of Windows in order to prevent this activation check from happening in the first place. Exactly the type of thing that secure boot just happens to prevent. Perhaps there are actual security benefits to secure boot, but back when they introduced it with Windows 8, I said that the primary reason is to prevent piracy and that the next step would be to remove the ability to disable it.

Not that I care particularly that Microsoft stops piracy, I legitimately bought Windows 7, and nowadays I use Linux. And I'm not all that worried about Microsoft locking out Linux, as far as I'm concerned, they are doing this to prevent piracy, and not much else. I'm just concerned about the effect this will have on kernel development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

mad muffin wrote: »
    They lost me at Vista… :mad:

I'm sure they're devastated.

worst part about windows is they keep asking me to activate it.

People made the same complaints when Windows XP came out, that it looked different and confused them and that the start menu was all different and scary.

XP's changes were largely just cosmetic. 8's changes are far, far deeper than that.

If an OS is getting some shit thrown at it, years after it's been on the market, then there's something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

While I like Windows 7, having to suffer the ignominy of using this citrix rubbish is really causing stress and frustration amongst the finance and trading staff who actually make the company money.

Perhaps you could suggest going back to pen and paper?....

Proper investment in IT saves a company millions. The people you p1ss and moan to are not likely the ones to blame. Even the CIO works on directives and budgets handed down by somebody higher up.

Also, Citrix probably isn't the issue. It's your crappy network. Go have a word with the Network lads, they'll love talking to you

Tony EH wrote: »
    XP's changes were largely just cosmetic. 8's changes are far, far deeper than that.

If an OS is getting some shit thrown at it, years after it's been on the market, then there's something seriously wrong.

The OS is getting sh1t thrown at mostly over cosmetic changes really, I've ran Windows 8 and Win 7 on identical hardware in several different pcs. Windows 8 wins in terms of performance every time.

Pros:
    It boots faster (they kind of cheated by combining hibernation and shutdown)
    When the computer is idle less ram is used by the system
    Programs open and run faster
    Games run faster (Up to 20% faster according to some)
    Native VPN support
    Native ISO mounting
    USB 3.0 support
    Faster file transfers
    Mainstream support from Microsoft is still available
    Commonly used settings are easier to get to by pressing win+x

Cons:
    The charms bar idea is stupid
    The start menu looks stupid
    Some of the eye candy like aero glass is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The OS is getting sh1t thrown at mostly over cosmetic changes really, I've ran Windows 8 and Win 7 on identical hardware in several different pcs. Windows 8 wins in terms of performance every time.

Pros:
    It boots faster (they kind of cheated by combining hibernation and shutdown)
    When the computer is idle less ram is used by the system
    Programs open and run faster
    Games run faster (Up to 20% faster according to some)
    Native VPN support
    Native ISO mounting
    USB 3.0 support
    Faster file transfers
    Mainstream support from Microsoft is still available
    Commonly used settings are easier to get to by pressing win+x

Cons:
    The charms bar idea is stupid
    The start menu looks stupid
    Some of the eye candy like aero glass is gone

Also a Pro SMB 3.0. Also the aero being gone is a benefit to some as it created overhead and wasn't consistent on virtual machines

Some of the negative, you need to right click and select to open new windows to open a new instance of an app that's already open. That one really gets on my tits..it's the same on OSX. So annoying. I like the new layout for Task Manager but it would make more sense to show the the details pane first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement