Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 upgrade to be free

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

anto3473 wrote: »
    Umm... Where it says ENG in the task bar, The language bar, click that and select Irish keyboard... You just done the same thing but from the lock screen, which you could have also done in any earlier version of windows too.

This setting has been in the same place since Windows 98 and you still would have needed to change it.

I really don't understand all the hate Windows 8.1 gets, it looks different yes but I wouldn't exactly call it hard to use or un-intuitive. Read whatever you are clicking at before you click it and you'll be fine.

People made the same complaints when Windows XP came out, that it looked different and confused them and that the start menu was all different and scary.

Its a bit like all the moaning that takes place any time the layout of Facebook slightly changes, pretty soon you wont even notice it and will forget what the old one even looked like. To use that reasoning to hang on to a legacy OS that does not preform as well and will be a security when the extended support finishes is something I find bemusing.

The language bar doesn't show in the normal desktop...because I only have one language set in the Control panel. Windows adds the US English automatically in the Lock Screen for some reason.

If they wanted to make it easy, they put the option under the Keyboard icon in the Control panel...you know, where you'd expect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Depraved wrote: »
    The language bar doesn't show in the normal desktop...because I only have one language set in the Control panel. Windows adds the US English automatically in the Lock Screen for some reason.

If they wanted to make it easy, they put the option under the Keyboard icon in the Control panel...you know, where you'd expect it.

That's a setting, fella! With the newer Operating Systems you can view Category view or just a list. If you have it as list then all you need to do is go to Control Panel and to Region and Language.

Have you heard of GodMode? It's not an out of the box setting, it's an Easter Egg. You create a folder with a certain name and it created a directory with pretty much every possible configuration you might want to change on your machine.

Take a look, you might find it useful. Personally, I don't use it anymore. I'm a keyboard shortcut type of guy

http://rorymon.com/blog/?p=48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

anto3473 wrote: »
    The OS is getting sh1t thrown at mostly over cosmetic changes really, I've ran Windows 8 and Win 7 on identical hardware in several different pcs. Windows 8 wins in terms of performance every time.

Pros:
    It boots faster (they kind of cheated by combining hibernation and shutdown)

I never had any problems with boot times from XP to 8. In fact my Win 7 machine boots faster than my Win 8 machine.
    When the computer is idle less ram is used by the system

Big Deal.
    Programs open and run faster

Not in my experience, but this is very hard to quantify. Even so, some progs opening a second or two quicker isn't any reason for singing 8's praises.
    Games run faster (Up to 20% faster according to some)

This is largely a hardware responsibility, not an OS one.
    Native VPN support

Meh.
    Native ISO mounting

Again, meh. Two seconds to download a free app that can do that on any windows machine.
    USB 3.0 support

I have USB 3 support on Windows 7. So what.
    Faster file transfers

Debatable. Not much difference between 7 and 8 in this regard.
    Mainstream support from Microsoft is still available

Meaningless to me.
    Commonly used settings are easier to get to by pressing win+x

Again meh.

Absolutely none of the above are anything to be screaming about and are, frankly, mickey mouse, when offset against people's ire over Windows 8. My own recent experience, as posted earlier, was its failure to perform a simple task like a system restore. Which was never a problem with either XP or 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

We use Windows 8 in the work place in a large company (100k + employees) and its a great OS.
    We have Stardock Start8 deployed and it works a treat

Came from using Windows XP then 7 and I find 8 much better. Its quicker, more intuitive once you learn about where things are etc. and seems to do everything that's required and more.
    The Laptop I currently have is 3 years old and it copes no bother where as it only chugged along when it had XP installed prior to getting a Windows 8 upgrade

I doubt we will go to 10 any time soon as its a massive task to upgrade in this type of environment. Maybe I am wrong however as I really don't know how easy a switch it is

We use Windows 8 in the work place in a large company (100k + employees) and its a great OS.
    We have Stardock Start8 deployed and it works a treat

Came from using Windows XP then 7 and I find 8 much better. Its quicker, more intuitive once you learn about where things are etc. and seems to do everything that's required and more.
    The Laptop I currently have is 3 years old and it copes no bother where as it only chugged along when it had XP installed prior to getting a Windows 8 upgrade

I doubt we will go to 10 any time soon as its a massive task to upgrade in this type of environment. Maybe I am wrong however as I really don't know how easy a switch it is

it's much easier than XP to 7. 7 to 8 was pretty easy. 8 to 10 is even easier

Tony EH wrote: »
    Again, meh. Two seconds to download a free app that can do that on any windows machine.
    QUOTE]

No good in an Enterprise. A properly run company ensures the employees are no Administrators on their machine. They should not be able to download and install crap on their machines. The likes of PowerISO and DaemonLite come with adware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Wompa1 wrote: »
    it's much easier than XP to 7. 7 to 8 was pretty easy. 8 to 10 is even easier

Getting up to a hundred thousand users from 8 to 10 ain't going to be easy!!

Getting up to a hundred thousand users from 8 to 10 ain't going to be easy!!

You're telling me! I've spent the last 8 years working on Migrations projects. Be they migrating companies from XP to Vista, XP to Windows 7, Windows 7 to Windows 8. Server 2003 to Server 2008, Server 2008 to Server 2012. Or taking small companies from their physical hardware to working completely from desktops hosted in 'THE CLOUD' :)

The move to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be the easiest of all of the migrations Microsoft have done a much better job of not deprecating too much. Also, most companies who have already made the switch to Windows 7 have already dealt with UAC and going from 32 to 64-bit. They were the biggest pain points application wise.

The largest migration project I worked on was for 90k desktops. Have worked on a few for companies around the 50-70k too. It would be great if more companies embraced virtualization. A switch would become much more seamless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wompa1 wrote: »

No good in an Enterprise. A properly run company ensures the employees are no Administrators on their machine. They should not be able to download and install crap on their machines. The likes of PowerISO and DaemonLite come with adware.

Well, I can only speak from a personal POV womp. I've never worked in a company that restricted apps.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, I can only speak from a personal POV womp. I've never worked in a company that restricted apps.

I hear ya. I'm working for a company right now that doesn't, it's chaos, they've got all kinds of problems. It's not the first company that I've worked with that had their users as local admins, either. But the majority, the well managed places, restrict their users rights.

Advertisement