Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Ott appeal

Options
  • 21-01-2015 8:57pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hope it's ok with the mods to post this.

People in the horse world will be aware of the Burke-Ott family. Janet and Alex own Gooseberry Hill Horses in North Cork .

Before Christmas, Alex had a very serious fall from a horse and has been left with life changing injuries. This isn't a "sponsor me" page, as such, but it allows people to support the family through a series of fun rides organised by various hunts around Munster so you get to do the fun ride AND help the family.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/680737022043530/?pnref=story

Even if you can't do the ride, you can still donate.
    We are all just that one fall away from being in the same position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

I heard about this, terrible tragedy and hopefully lots of people will support it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lots of the hunts in Munster are doing different days in the next few weeks. Keep an eye out, if you can support them.

I know it's so banal to try make a desperate personal tragedy seem positive, but it is heartening to see how these cruel blights of fate bring out the best in horse people.

On a purely anecdotal basis, it seems the incidence of serious injuries has worsened in recent years. I was a kid when Shane Broderick had his horrific fall (still remember the day very well), and it was like a lightening bolt through the racing community. It was a major event (admittedly, Broderick was a candidate for champion jockey at the time) But it seems as though, in recent years, we're hearing about these catastrophes more and more often.

John Thomas McNamara comes first to mind of course, but also the lesser-known guys who wouldn't necessarily be riding at that level, some who have died as a result of their injuries. Not sure whether it's in my imagination, or if it's really getting worse.

I suppose we just have to sit tight, and say 'there but for fortune'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We are going running a sponsored ride in support of the fund on March 22nd. Co. Clare Hunt. Its from Cree to Doughmore beach in West Clare, close to Doonbeg. I can send details on to anyone if interested.

Mod edit: PM finbarrk for info.

Advertisement