Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car seat on flight

Options
  • 21-01-2015 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi we're going to be travelling to Lanzarote soon with our two year old. 4 hour flight I think. Is it worth bringing the car seat or is it too much hassle as we won't be renting a car so I don't really see the point in bringing it. Any advice would be much appreciated! 😕

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

Hi,

It depends on why you need the car seat, are you thinking about using it on the flight in the seats?

As your child will have their own seat I'm not sure that airlines will allow car seats on board for your child and 4 hours will be a long time to expect a child to remain seated, strapped into a car seat.

If it's for safety reasons, we purchased the CARES harness however it's only recognized on some of the airlines over here so check with who you are flying with to see what they allow.

addob

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kerrymaid11

Hi addob,

Yes specifically for the seat on the plane as we will not need it on the other side. We are flying with Ryanair so they allow the CARES harness to be used. The link on Ryanair's website for the CARES harness brings me to a US website. Where did you purchase your harness?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We flew Aer Lingus with a two year old and she sat in her seat with a regular seatbealt. There was no mention of a specific harness needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

we went to lanza with our lad when he was 2 and again when he was 3 and his sister was 5 months we did not bring a car seat on any occasion nor did we need one at any stage. in the plane he will have his own seat.

things are fairly easy going in lanzarote if we ever took taxis we just threw him in the back seat between us. living dangerously ha!!! it was like 1985 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kerrymaid11

Thanks farmchoice, that's good to know! It would just be very awkward having to bring a big maxi cosi axiss over with us so I think it would be best to leave it behind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

HI Kerrymaid,

We make several long haul flights per year so the purchase of the CARES harness was worth it for us, you can only buy it in the US as far as I know or on Amazon.co.uk.

As the other posters have said, there is no regulation that requires anything more than a lap belt on the airplane with any aged child, even a child on your lap.

If you don't need one there and you are happy using just the lap belt, save yourself the stress and the difficulty of dragging along the car seat and leave it at home.

Have a fab holiday!

addob

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Sorry to hijack the thread but just wondering what everyone does when they get to the other side if they dont bring a car seat? I'm heading away in the summer with my 18 months old girl, she'll be on my lap on the plane but we'll be getting a bus from the airport to the hotel when we arrive. Do people just bring them on their lap from airport to hotel or do most companies provide car seats if its requested or what?

Thank for any advice, haven;t a clue what the norm is here!

EDIT just to say we're going to Salou in Spain so very family friendly resort incase that makes any difference :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you pre-order a taxi from the Airport to the hotel and specify age of children and child seats needed, then that's what you get. It's what we did and were very happy with the service (no extra cost for child seats either).

On a bus, it's hold onto that child!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Are you getting a public bus or organised transfers? If it's transport your organised you can ask for a child seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Thanks ladies, its a transfer being organised through the hotel so I'll pass on my request to them. Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm flying to the Canaries on Saturday with my 4.5 month old baby and plan on using the car seat in the buggy until I get to the plane when it will be taken from me I'm sure. I presume that she will sit on my knee for the duration of the flight? We're flying with Aer Lingus if that makes any difference.
    The seat fits into our isofix base but needless to say we won't be bringing that with us. I'd planned on using a seat belt to secure it for the taxi journey from the airport to our accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm flying to the Canaries on Saturday with my 4.5 month old baby and plan on using the car seat in the buggy until I get to the plane when it will be taken from me I'm sure. I presume that she will sit on my knee for the duration of the flight? We're flying with Aer Lingus if that makes any difference.
    The seat fits into our isofix base but needless to say we won't be bringing that with us. I'd planned on using a seat belt to secure it for the taxi journey from the airport to our accommodation.

I did this exactly last year. All of the above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

kandr10 wrote: »
    I did this exactly last year. All of the above :)

I hope you had a nice time :-)

I'm dying for the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

It's great to get away and much easier to travel with a baby than I'd imagined!

Advertisement