Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: Worlds Apart (US) - [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 21-01-2015 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

250px-Survivor30logo.jpg

Season 30 of CBS Survivor is due to premiere on Wednesday 25th February 2015.Eighteen new players will compete to earn the title of Sole Survivor with a new twist.

The castaways will be divided into three tribes based on social class....White Collar,Blue Collar and No Collar.A potentially intriguing concept,here's hoping for an improvement on a largely forgettable season 29.

CBS chrome link
    http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/news/1003707/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The gimmick doesn't really mean much, does it? It's usually a factor for the first three or four episodes before it's largely forgotten about. Hopefully the casting is better this season, last season seemed to lack many really good game players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

4 weeks and we'll be watching new Survivor again, where does the time go?

The gimmick thing is irrelevant alright, its not Victorian times, guaranteed they'll all be indistinguishable from each other unless they pick a few absolute wasters for the outsider tribe. The only gimmick that does make a difference is blood vs water and that difference seems to be negative in that it makes the whole thing boring and predictable so glad its gone. glad its a fresh start aswell with no celebrities or returning players, long overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

3 tribe dynamic, sheeeeet always goes down, will have to catch this one in 'syndication', enjoy the season.

I actually forgot who won last season....

John Cochran just accepted my friend request :cool:

What a season that was compared to the sh1theap we just watched.
    GreNoLi wrote: »
    I actually forgot who won last season....
    I had to go and look it up after you said that aswell, fecks sake.

I think another bad season could be very dangerous for Survivor now, CBS might start having doubts and Jeff Probst might start getting itchy feet for other projects. I suppose whatever happens it will continue though even if it has to go to one of the loser channels like what happens to Big Brother and others, its too popular to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thargor wrote: »
    John Cochran just accepted my friend request :cool:

What a season that was compared to the sh1theap we just watched.

I had to go and look it up after you said that aswell, fecks sake.

I think another bad season could be very dangerous for Survivor now, CBS might start having doubts and Jeff Probst might start getting itchy feet for other projects. I suppose whatever happens it will continue though even if it has to go to one of the loser channels like what happens to Big Brother and others, its too popular to die.

Probst is a bigger fan than anyone. Don't think he'll leave as long as people are still enjoying it, and as it currently stand it's unlikely CBS will pull the plug because Reality TV is considerably cheaper to make than scripted dramas or comedies and it's still doing relatively well in the ratings...

• Advertisement

He's a big activist in real life though and it is 6 months filming a year for the last 15 years plus all the other promotional crap he has to do for it, I don't see him sticking with it for another 5 years anyway, just a feeling I get in more recent interviews with him, hope Im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Parvati can replace him and we'll get another 5 years out of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Interesting link on CBS....fans have voted for their TOP 10 Greatest Survivor Players.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/news/1003750/

1. Rob Mariano
    2. Russell Hantz
    3. Rob Cesternino
    4. Parvati Shallow
    5. Ossy Lusth
    6. Sandra Diaz Twine
    7. John Cochran
    8. Tony Vlachos
    9. Yul Kwon
    10. Cirie Fields

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

LOL, no Kim Spradlin and several others, joke shop.

Can't believe Cochran made top 10, absolute joke. Kim Spradlin is far more worthy of a top 10 spot. I'd query Cirie Fields in addition

• Advertisement

Ah he studied the game since he was a kid and used that info to play a pretty perfect game and get every single jury vote at the end, that was against experienced players aswell. Then again his first attempt was an embarrassing failure and should have ruled him out of any list like this on its own. It was too good a story though, the Survivor obsessed little nerd kid growing up to write his Harvard thesis about the game and then going on to win it, Americans love that sort of thing too much to leave him off this list.

I think Sandra winning it twice entitles her to a way higher spot aswell, even if it was a bit flukey it was still a major feat probably never to be repeated, higher than Russel anyway, these lists are always stupid in some way though.

Ah he studied the game since he was a kid and used that info to play a pretty perfect game and get every single jury vote at the end, that was against experienced players aswell. Then again his first attempt was an embarrassing failure and should have ruled him out of any list like this on its own. It was too good a story though, the Survivor obsessed little nerd kid growing up to write his Harvard thesis about the game and then going on to win it, Americans love that sort of thing too much to leave him off this list.

I think Sandra winning it twice entitles her to a way higher spot aswell, even if it was a bit flukey it was still a major feat probably never to be repeated, higher than Russel anyway, these lists are always stupid in some way though.

Totally agreed but he was indeed dismal first time around,should never have had the opportunity to return.He was as good as handed the title of Sole Survivor second time around with the way many of the ICs were set up,most especially the final IC.Heck though the Americans love the schmaltzy story as you've outlined.

Some truly great players did'nt make the list...Aras Baskauskas,Danni Boatwright,Todd Herzog,Tom Westman,Tina Wesson,Colby Donaldson,Richard Hatch,Earl Cole,Ethan Zohn.There were many non winners who were serious players over the years.

Any list without Richard Hatch on it should be null and void - he essentially ensured the premise of the show would be to scheme and backstab your way to the top... The top 4 on that list have all based their own games on Hatch's success in Borneo...

Fair enough, Sandra won it twice, even though I don't like her, so she probably deserves a spot, but Cirie? Really? Never got the obsession with her to be honest?

And there's definitely people more deserving than Tony and Cochran... Penner should at least replace one of them...

Mariano, Russell, Cesternino, Parvati, Ozzy and Yul I would probably have in my top 10 too...

It might be heresy to say it but in spite of her 2 victories I think Sandra was a vastly overrated player.She rode coat tail of other players IMO, she was quite good at staying under the radar.Her badass,straight up attitude ensured she would would garner popularity

The most recent RHAP top 100 list seems to have a better top 10 IMO.
    1 Parvati Shallow - Season 13, 16, 20 36029
    2 "Boston Rob" Mariano - Season 4, 8, 20, 22 32385
    3 Sandra Diaz-Twine - Season 7, 20 25909
    4 Kim Spradlin - Season 24 23257
    5 Richard Hatch - Season 1, 8 15602
    6 Rob Cesternino - Season 6, 8 14558
    7 Cirie Fields - Season 12, 16, 20 14485
    8 Tony Vlachos - Season 28 13841
    9 Russell Hantz - Season 19, 20, 22 13618
    10 Todd Herzog - Season 15 10221

Added the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

seligehgit wrote: »
    It might be heresy to say it but in spite of her 2 victories I think Sandra was a vastly overrated player.She rode coat tail of other players IMO, she was quite good at staying under the radar.Her badass,straight up attitude ensured she would would garner popularity

One of the worst winners ever

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Just showing how great seasons 8 and 20 were

Not long now...

New Mad Men, Survivor, House of Cards, Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, Vikings, Mythbusters, Game of Thrones and loads of other stuff in the next couple of weeks, its my favourite time of year :D

New Mad Men, Survivor, House of Cards, Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, Vikings, Mythbusters, Game of Thrones and loads of other stuff in the next couple of weeks, its my favourite time of year :D

Oh the joy of it all.. Can't wait for House of Cards, Game of Thrones... Jury is out on Better Call Saul.

• Advertisement

Stupid Feathers is bringing done the tone of No Collar people - we're not all hair sniffing stalkers!

Liking it so far. It's a good sign when the first episode is enjoyable. Apart from Feathers, I love the No Collar tribe - look how awesome they were in the challlenge, they got fire without flint, and managed to get **** done with minimal amount of drama around camp. I quite like the Blue Collar tribe as well - the lad who ate the scorpion seems like he'll be fun to watch. The White Tribe seemed to completely crumble and I can't see them getting very far - they're all Alpha Dogs, so will all struggle for power, which just results in lots of drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Stupid Feathers is bringing done the tone of No Collar people - we're not all hair sniffing stalkers!

Liking it so far. It's a good sign when the first episode is enjoyable. Apart from Feathers, I love the No Collar tribe - look how awesome they were in the challlenge, they got fire without flint, and managed to get **** done with minimal amount of drama around camp. I quite like the Blue Collar tribe as well - the lad who ate the scorpion seems like he'll be fun to watch. The White Tribe seemed to completely crumble and I can't see them getting very far - they're all Alpha Dogs, so will all struggle for power, which just results in lots of drama.

I thought it was a really good solid episode - hope it continues this strong. Lots of interesting personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,568 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The creeping of that guy could be fun to watch and scary in equal messures over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I liked that. Seems a decent cast so far. Hopefully that'll continue. Loved the decisions in the challenge too. Thought that was well done

Yeah that was a really decent episode..No Collar and Blue Collar tribes have impressed,White Collar tribe were pretty pathetic.

Some interesting characters...Joe(early pick to win),Max,Tyler.Stupid Feathers is a tad scary...watch out Jenn(really cute).Lots of good looking girls this season.Dan is likely to annoy the hell out of everybody and a big favourite for an early exit.

Poor call by So and Joaquin to deceive their tribe and make such a poor attempt at covering their tracks.Of course the on going mockery that is the virtual handing over of HIIs to players...Carolyn continues,way too easy.

Tad insane of the macho Mike to get his protein fix by ingesting a scorpion!:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Only idiots try to make big plays on the first day - especially when idol clues are next to worthless given the ease in which they are found.

Loved the way No Collar discussed as a tribe the decisions that were likely to come up. White Collar could have a streak of tribal councils ahead of them

Felt like So buckled under the pressure from Joaquin to go with the Deceit option. I think she was happy to go with the safer choice but didn't put forward her argument. She was always going to be more vulnerable given that he's a big physical guy.

Hope the White Collar tribe doesn't crumble as it's nice to maintain the 3 tribe structure for as long as possible.

And it's never nice when luck plays such a big part in merging from 3 into 2.

Oh, agree with the Joe to win call. Seemed like he had all the attributes of a potential winner.

Great start, pity to see So go, could have been Brenda mark II, stupid to make power plays like that on day 1 though, you wont make it to the end most of the time. Love Fabio/Feathers guy, hope he goes the distance because he sounds like a wacko. That 10 minute hug and his instant obsession with that girl are pure cringe material. Good ep anyway, at least I can remember their faces and what they're like, unlike last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

So definitely wanted to go for the honest decision. Obviously a mistake on her part not to speak her mind.

The No Collar team is great. So positive about everything...so far. I like Joe and Will. Feathers guy is creepy as hell. I like Mike on Blue Collar too.

The challenge was great. Brilliant idea to give them a choice in it.

Overall it was a good episode. I didn't even watch the last two episodes of the last series so I'm hoping that this series will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm happy to see him go to be honest. Some people like the nuts players with issues....... I don't. They distract from the game. I'd rather see the crazies voted off early so we can get down to the strategic plays.

Blue collar is about to implode. No need to get firewood when you have a mountain of it collected. Some people don't know how to just sit still.

Advertisement