Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: Worlds Apart (US) - [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I dont think they mislead. Not showing everything and misleading people arent quite the same thing.

Rodney may have been quick with tactics and voting strategy but thats no use if you are an emotional bomb that can explode every second. Changing your strategy because somebody said something mean about you or didnt take you on a reward is not the sign of a great player.

I get what you are saying about him being no idiot, but ultimately he wasnt smart enough to keep his emotions in check. The fact that he had so many arguments in 39 days would back that up. And despite looking like he could physically dominate, he was truly awful in the challenges too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I beg to differ. Not showing certain footage can result in people getting the wrong impression of certain cast members and by all accounts this happened with Rodney. I'm not knocking the show for doing this. The edit is part and parcel of the show at this stage.

And I never called him a 'great' player either. I did say he appeared to be Mikes biggest threat towards the end part of the game which seems to contradict a lot of peoples opinions like him simply being a 'spoilt little dickheads to laugh at' etc.

The fact that he had so many arguments within 39 days yet still remained in the game, is really well liked by the cast and was never an actual target until the finale says a lot about his strategic and social game on top of his hot headed nature.

I think this years edit is interesting though. Mike was nearly just as much a hot head but his run of immunities got him to the end and his position as the underdog (helped by the edit) made him the player that most viewers were rooting for. Mike has mentioned a few times that he was pretty sure he had won going into the finale based on the edit and that they had the footage to paint him in an altogether different light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Would anyone be up for me trying to get a Survivor on here for a Q and A / chat? If so who would you like?
    Jaxxy wrote: »
    That's insane, I never realised there were so much crew around them. Are they under strict orders not to speak to or engage with the contestants? I honestly don't know how some of those camera operators don't crack up at the stuff they come out with.

Yes they are not allowed to communicate with each other and the crew cannot eat around them. I do know the contestants like to play games on them, one season the contestants would run into the water to strategise, forcing the camera guy to get his wet gear on (for the camera) and head into the water, only for the contestants to say they are finished and are heading back in. It really pissed off the cameramen :D

Something else people might not know,
    those scenes where you see them rowing or walking to tribal - they don't really
    walk or row, they are picked up but it makes for better TV showing them
    walking/rowing.
    Thargor wrote: »
    I hated the smugness from day one, you could tell he wanted to be seen as a Survivor guru with all his lame analysis and he ended up being totally mediocre, useless in challenges, pissed away one of the biggest advantages in Survivor history and then called out and humiliated live on stage by Jeff.

At least he did better than Max who from day 1 claimed to be a survivor guru :D
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    Interesting to hear that Rodneys edit was a little misleading.
    Kirby wrote: »
    I dont think they mislead. Not showing everything and misleading people arent quite the same thing.
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    I beg to differ. Not showing certain footage can result in people getting the wrong impression of certain cast members and by all accounts this happened with Rodney.

On every Season it is always set up in such a way that each person has a 'role' i.e. the hero, villian, token nerd, hot clueless girl, the 'mother' etc and they air according to this. Remember we see around 45 mins in an episode and this is taken from 72 hours worth of footage so only the most dramatic footage is kept (people would soon get bored of people walking around being nice to each other). It is a cut throat show and understandbly most contestants want the viewers to think they are nice and most of them are but it is always their worst moments that will air.

Nowadays it is just hard for a lot of viewers (more so the haters) to seperate real life from a game. Take Dan for example, having spoken to him in real life he comes across as a true gent but in the game was a complete and utter ar$ehole!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

kingtut wrote: »
    Would anyone be up for me trying to get a Survivor on here for a Q and A / chat? If so who would you like?

Yes they are not allowed to communicate with each other and the crew cannot eat around them. I do know the contestants like to play games on them, one season the contestants would run into the water to strategise, forcing the camera guy to get his wet gear on (for the camera) and head into the water, only for the contestants to say they are finished and are heading back in. It really pissed off the cameramen :D

walking/rowing.

At least he did better than Max who from day 1 claimed to be a survivor guru :D

On every Season it is always set up in such a way that each person has a 'role' i.e. the hero, villian, token nerd, hot clueless girl, the 'mother' etc and they air according to this. Remember we see around 45 mins in an episode and this is taken from 72 hours worth of footage so only the most dramatic footage is kept (people would soon get bored of people walking around being nice to each other). It is a cut throat show and understandbly most contestants want the viewers to think they are nice and most of them are but it is always their worst moments that will air.

Nowadays it is just hard for a lot of viewers (more so the haters) to seperate real life from a game. Take Dan for example, having spoken to him in real life he comes across as a true gent but in the game was a complete and utter ar$ehole!

Interesting, is there any articles online explaining how the show is produced?

Interesting, is there any articles online explaining how the show is produced?

If you google you can find plenty but here a couple of them.

*WARNING* If you don't want to know the 'inner' workings / behind the scenes stuff then don't click on any of the links.

Q and A with camera man
    http://www.reddit.com/comments/mdd5l/have_worked_on_the_camera_crew_on_many_seasons_of/

Q and A with Rob Cesternino
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/zenas/i_was_a_two_time_contestant_on_survivor_ama/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's a good idea if there's enough interest. If it were just two/three of us asking questions though, it might not be worth their while to do it.

Perhaps a Survivor AMA thread, so that we could have a few of them, if it were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah probably better off just keeping an eye on reddit for them, is there even 10 survivor fans on boards?

Yeah probably better off just keeping an eye on reddit for them, is there even 10 survivor fans on boards?

If it is 10 in binary then ye ;)

Lol, I like the thread we have here and the thread over on Digitalspy every season, you can waste your life on survivorsucks and reddit, there's just too many people giving their opinions and too many who can recall every single person who's ever played the game and expect everyone else to aswell.

Forgot to say, gutted that Stephanie Valencia didnt make it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Lol, I like the thread we have here and the thread over on Digitalspy every season, you can waste your life on survivorsucks and reddit, there's just too many people giving their opinions and too many who can recall every single person who's ever played the game and expect everyone else to aswell.

Forgot to say, gutted that Stephanie Valencia didnt make it...

Too true.

Season 32 will be a beauty, brawn etc... season which has already been filmed.

Since this season is over just wondering what everyone's top 5 seasons are so here are my picks in no particular order:

Exile Island (S12)
    Pearl Islands (S7)
    Amazon (S6)
    Vanuatu (S9)
    Gabon (S17)

Special mention for the legend that is Rory Freeman from Vanuatu.

• Advertisement

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Too true.

Season 32 will be a beauty, brawn etc... season which has already been filmed.
    Already filmed? So they'll wait 18 months to hear the votes after final Tribal? whats going on there?

EDIT: Or am I being an idiot and you mean the ideas already been done?

It couldn't be already filmed. Season 31 is filming now and Season 32 will be filmed right after that. They film both seasons back to back every summer, so there is an awful long wait for the votes to be read, especially if you're part of the Spring season cast...

My 5 favourite seasons would be:

Heroes VS Villains (Season 20)
    Cook Islands (Season 13)
    Palau (Season 10)
    Amazon (Season 6)
    All-Stars (Season 8)

It couldn't be already filmed. Season 31 is filming now and Season 32 will be filmed right after that. They film both seasons back to back every summer, so there is an awful long wait for the votes to be read, especially if you're part of the Spring season cast...

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2015/05/survivor-32-brawn-brains-beauty-cast-caleb-reynolds-scot-pollard/
    The 32nd season already filmed from March through May, though it will air next February, the first time the show has filmed and broadcast seasons out of order.
    Surprised you included Cook Islands among your faves, always struck me as a particularly bland, humourless season even though the location is stunning.

Fair enough then Ted. I stand corrected.
    Surprised you included Cook Islands among your faves, always struck me as a particularly bland, humourless season even though the location is stunning.

It had one of the most overall likeable casts, that I can remember and gave us some of Survivor's greatest ever players (including Parvati, Ozzy, Yul and Jonathan Penner). Plus the social experiment aspect of dividing tribes by Race was one of the most interesting of the social experiments that we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

walking/rowing.

Very interesting! Regarding the food, that was actually my next thought after posting my question. I can just imagine how torturous it would be for the cast to sit around, starving or eating rice, while the crew dig in to BLTs or share around trail mix or granola bars. :D Equally, I'd imagine it would be hard not to want to give some of those emaciated looking players a bit of munch.

As for lists, I can't really do a full one as yet! I haven't even seen the majority of the seasons already listed. I came in to Survivor only a few years ago because my brother is a huge fan. I've seen all the later seasons, of course, and know a lot of the big Survivor names because of them being returning players, but I could only get my hands on S16 (S16 would have to be on my current top list though - because Parvati, and I loved S20, too!) and onward, from my brother and boxsets. Every now and then I see people selling them on Amazon, so I'll have to grab them as I see them.

It was really cool becoming a fan so late though. I love being able to sit down and watch hours of Survivor, episode after episode. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Already filmed? So they'll wait 18 months to hear the votes after final Tribal? whats going on there?

It does take a long time to get to Cambodia by bus…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Very interesting! Regarding the food, that was actually my next thought after posting my question. I can just imagine how torturous it would be for the cast to sit around, starving or eating rice, while the crew dig in to BLTs or share around trail mix or granola bars. :D Equally, I'd imagine it would be hard not to want to give some of those emaciated looking players a bit of munch.

As for lists, I can't really do a full one as yet! I haven't even seen the majority of the seasons already listed. I came in to Survivor only a few years ago because my brother is a huge fan. I've seen all the later seasons, of course, and know a lot of the big Survivor names because of them being returning players, but I could only get my hands on S16 (S16 would have to be on my current top list though - because Parvati, and I loved S20, too!) and onward, from my brother and boxsets. Every now and then I see people selling them on Amazon, so I'll have to grab them as I see them.

It was really cool becoming a fan so late though. I love being able to sit down and watch hours of Survivor, episode after episode. :D

You are doing it wrong. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

oleras wrote: »
    You are doing it wrong. :p

When I say I can't get my hands on them via other methods, I do mean that I've looked everywhere. ;)

And it seems the more time that passes, the harder they are to find. Unless I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

When I say I can't get my hands on them via other methods, I do mean that I've looked everywhere. ;)

And it seems the more time that passes, the harder they are to find. Unless I'm missing something.

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

oleras wrote: »
    PM sent.

send one this way also polease!!

thanking you kind sir/madam

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

send one this way also polease!!

Id love one of these aswell please.

Amateurs..:p

i watched all this season on youtube, its horrible but can be done!!!!

You can easily have it in glorious HD an hour after its shown in the US, its one of the most popular shows on tv still...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My top 5 would be

Micronesia: Fans vs Favourite (16)
    Heroes vs Villains (20)
    Caramoan (26)
    Cagayan (28)
    Cook Islands (13)

Cook Islands basically gets there cos Ozzy is awesome, would also consider Philippines and Blood vs Water as good seasons that could go in there, and maybe Palau. If Russell won Samoa, I'd have that there, but bitter jury pushes that down.

I'd have the first two a mile ahead of any other season though. Those seasons were great. Caramoan and Cagayan are probably interchangeable.

Very surprised you included Caramoan in your list titan, I thought it had the weakest pre merge overall along with the general controversy surrounding the alliances made before the season started left a bad taste imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Very surprised you included Caramoan in your list titan, I thought it had the weakest pre merge overall along with the general controversy surrounding the alliances made before the season started left a bad taste imo.

Thought it was fantastic post merge, which is the better part of the season imo.

The 3 Amigos (Malcolm, Reynald and Eddie) were great, along with the tribal where Malcolm screwed the other side. Phillip is annoying but he was entertaining. It also had Brenda and Andrea, two of the hottest Survivor contestants imo, and a winner that's easy to like. Negatives against the season are Shamar and Brandon Hantz, and the whole Dawn/Brenda teeth thing at the end (although that was kind of funny at least), and course the reunion show being such a piece of sh1t.

It's a season that stands out, and Malcolm is one of my favourite contestants ever, so gets in there. Outside of the top 2, I do think there are 7 or 8 seasons that I'd rank quite closely.

Cagayan,Caramoan, Cook Islands, Blood vs Water, Phillipines, Palau,Samoa (would definitely be 3rd if Russell had won) would all be quite close imo

• Advertisement

I'll see your Andrea/Brenda and raise you:
    TC4d6aY.png

Advertisement