Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc or PhD?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi guys,

So basically i've decided upon the route I wish to follow as a postgrad and found an excellent one which has a high demand for skilled employees (namely Applied Behaviour Analysis for individuals on the Autism Spectrum).

Now following a 2 year MSc you qualify and become in internationally certified and recognised (by the board that sets standard for Behaviour Analysts) and this comes with very decent pay and job opportunities.

Lately however i've contemplated starting a 4 year PhD in ABA. You still become qualified after your 2 years but spend the rest of the time researching and it allows you to have an extra credential to your name by the board that sets the standards.

I am in two minds as to whether to do the MSc or PhD. In the short-term, financially it would make sense for me to do the 2 years and begin working, however i'm an individual who gets quite bored of routine and enjoy learning so i'm thinking the PhD is the way to go.

I'm slightly worried if I do the MSc and work for a few years, I will find it mundane and want to go into further education teaching and possibly lecturing, so in that respect I think it would be better to start the PhD whilst young and devote myself to it fully when I have the time and lack of commitments to do so.

Anyone have any advice what to do? Obviously I don't wish to rush into anything, but I know this is the field of work I want to be in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I can only speak in general terms, but for me personally, as somebody who started my PhD in my late 30's, I firmly believe for me it was the best time to do it.

The years experience really stood to me, I find myself more reflective, analytical, organised (ok, that's up for debate) and more willing to put the time in. I notice that a lot of my contemporaries did the same.

While no doubt you sound quite able to undertake a PhD at a young age, I personally would recommend doing the MSc and then wait a while for the PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Woun wrote: »
    Lately however i've contemplated starting a 4 year PhD in ABA. You still become qualified after your 2 years but spend the rest of the time researching and it allows you to have an extra credential to your name by the board that sets the standards.

The question I'd be asking is this:
    If you do the 2 year M.Sc. and qualify, is it then a further 4 years to acquire the PhD?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Woun

The question I'd be asking is this:
    If you do the 2 year M.Sc. and qualify, is it then a further 4 years to acquire the PhD?

Yes it is. If I opted for the 2 year MSc it would then take me a further 4 years to get the PhD.

The appeal of the PhD for me is that it's structured and combines aspects and taught modules from the MSc in the PhD. I feel myself the leap would be a massive one but also manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

An MSc and a PhD are two fundamentally different things.

What's more, you don't need an MSc in order to do a PhD.

So I don't think your question should be framed in terms of should I do a PhD after my MSc, but rather should I be doing an MSc or a PhD. The answer to the latter really depends on whether or not you want to pursue a career in research. If not, then there really is no point pursuing a PhD. As Tom Dunne says, you could always do one at a later date if you change your mind.

Advertisement