Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC ON FOX 14 GUS V RUMBLE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

And any reasonable person would agree that reffing has gotten better as MMA grows over the last 3-4 years. It's good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Jon 'Phone Home' (and get me the fook out of rehab) Jones is going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

bur wrote: »
    If that fight was anywhere else it would have been stopped much sooner.

I would disagree. Gus was taking hard shots yes but he made efforts to get away which is what refs want to see. When he was no longer able to do so, Goddard stepped in. Not early, not late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I think Sean post was early ko sub's not the ref stopping them? That's what I took from it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah but some of my favourite mma moments come from fights that could have been stopped earlier, Edgar title fights, Hunt-Kongo, Lesnar-Carwin etc
    No one wants to see a guy get hurt but you have to give them a chance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Predictions for '...of the night' bonuses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

FOTN Davis vs. Bader

:pac:

This isn't Sherdog.

Obviously not. And your point? If any.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

John_D80 wrote: »
    I would disagree. Gus was taking hard shots yes but he made efforts to get away which is what refs want to see. When he was no longer able to do so, Goddard stepped in. Not early, not late.

Efforts to get away?? He was not intelligently defending himself he barely moved the whole time and was constantly just laying there turtled up blocking. Gus took 30 punches from the time he dropped to the ground till Goddard stopped that fight, in that time he didnt defend one punch or throw one of his own. You cant say after the Hendo fight that you would rather a ref step in early than a guy take unnecessary punches and then turn around and say that this was a perfect stoppage..

• Advertisement

FOTN: Musoke/tamenov
    POTN: Johnson & Amirkani

Axwell wrote: »
    Efforts to get away?? He was not intelligently defending himself he barely moved the whole time and was constantly just laying there turtled up blocking. Gus took 30 punches from the time he dropped to the ground till Goddard stopped that fight, in that time he didnt defend one punch or throw one of his own. You cant say after the Hendo fight that you would rather a ref step in early than a guy take unnecessary punches and then turn around and say that this was a perfect stoppage..

Yes I can. Hendo was out. Gus wasn't. And he was trying to get out of danger while still in full control of his senses and ibtelligently defending himself. Goddard gave him every chance to escape as he should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

fotn musoke tumenov
    potn johnson and amirkhani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Musoke Tunenov

Rumble Johnson
    Robertson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Extremely enjoyable card overall IMO.

Paully D wrote: »
    Extremely enjoyable card overall IMO.

Definitely. And to be fair it outshone all expectations. Just goes to show, you can't judge a card til it's over.

Yes I can. Hendo was out. Gus wasn't. And he was trying to get out of danger while still in full control of his senses and ibtelligently defending himself.

He wasnt getting out of danger, he barely moved from the minute he went to the ground..he was in the same position for 15 punches, he took punch after punch and was pretty much out of it from the upper cut that put him on the ground in the first place. From that moment on he was on all fours taking a beating, the only time he moved from that position he rolled over on his side and took more punches before curling back over on all fours. He took 30 punches to the head in total on the ground but you dont consider that unnecessary even thought the amount of damage he would have taken from those shots is crazy and doing massive damage to him?

I think we'll only now start to see it. MMA has only been at this level of participation for ten years or so. Diego Sanchez is one that is sad to see, he has always been a little bit crazy but when he started out he was like the kid that you would give a job to in an instant. He was 100% on the ball and did everything right, you look at him now and he's only 30 odd, talks with slurred speech and comes across as a bit dopey. Same for Chuck Liddell.

I'm not trying to be adversarial with you or anything but I really think that like someone above said, three seconds too sooon is much better than three seconds too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

I sincerely hope that post isn't in relation to Gustaffson/Rumble...

Nope the whole event pre Lims etc

• Advertisement

He wasnt getting out of danger, he barely moved from the minute he went to the ground..he was in the same position for 15 punches, he took punch after punch and was pretty much out of it from the upper cut that put him on the ground in the first place. From that moment on he was on all fours taking a beating, the only time he moved from that position he rolled over on his side and took more punches before curling back over on all fours. He took 30 punches to the head in total on the ground but you dont consider that unnecessary even thought the amount of damage he would have taken from those shots is crazy and doing massive damage to him?

Henderson was out. Gus wasn't. Goddard stopped it when he saw that Gus was not able to get himself out of danger. It's was neither early or late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

user2011 wrote: »
    I think Sean post was early ko sub's not the ref stopping them? That's what I took from it anyway.
    What I meant exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Gonna have nightmares about Rumble tonight, that guy is scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Can Rumble beat Jones?

That is one that I'd love to see. Jones was at Gus on twitter already. Absolutely no class. Would love to see him lying ko'd in the middle of the octagon. Might shut his mouth for a bit.

Gus wasn't getting himself out of danger from the minute he went on all fours on the ground, anyone can see that. He did nothing to get back to his feet. You are basically saying that it was ok for Gus to take 30 punches to the head because he wasn't out.

I just find in relation to what someone else posted about 3 seconds too early being better than 3 seconds being too late that in most cases people only worry about such a thing later on in someones career when its clear they have taken years of damage and one more fight could leave them seriously hurt. Gus took a lot of unnecessary shots there and it could and should have been stopped before Goddard stepped in. 30 shots to the head was unnecessary imo, for you it was ok and you are entitled to your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

weemcd wrote: »
    Can Rumble beat Jones?

That is one that I'd love to see. Jones was at Gus on twitter already. Absolutely no class. Would love to see him lying ko'd in the middle of the octagon. Might shut his mouth for a bit.

Speaking of class . . . .

Those fighters are sad to look at now and as you say the reality is most of them will continue to fight until something happens to them. The problem is the beatings they take are over the years and the effects only show up as time progresses. Chuck was another one who took way too many hits, was glad when the UFC offered him a position so he could still be a part of the UFC and not in the cage. As DC and Brian Stann said the UFC should do something similar for Hendo at this stage and even look at something in general for all those fighters. They could all easily be coaches on TUF without needing to have it end in a title fight between the two coaches on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

weemcd wrote: »
    Can Rumble beat Jones?

Link?

• Advertisement

Performance bonuses went to

Rumble, Mousasi, Robertson and Amirkhani

Gus wasn't getting himself out of danger from the minute he went on all fours on the ground, anyone can see that. He did nothing to get back to his feet. You are basically saying that it was ok for Gus to take 30 punches to the head because he wasn't out.

No that's not what I'm 'basically' saying. My opinion on the stoppage is not as simple as him taking 30 punches to the head. You neglect to mention the fact that he was attempting to defend himself.

Goddard was spot on. As was the ref in the Hendo/Moussasi fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

B8KpElMCEAAc0Zq.jpg:large

No that's not what I'm 'basically' saying. My opinion on the stoppage is not as simple as him taking 30 punches to the head. You neglect to mention the fact that he was attempting to defend himself.

Goddard was spot on. As was the ref in the Hendo/Moussasi fight.

Im not neglecting it, he wasnt attempting to defend himself while being active. Instinct will make anyone put there hands over their head to defend themselves but thats not intelligently defending yourself. He was on all fours turtled up taking a beating, he made no attempt to get to his feet or move to a position which was an improvement..for example on his back where he might pull guard.

Heres a quote from Herb Dean as to whats considered intelligently defending yourself in such a position..

“I’m looking for some movement, any sort of movement to solve the situation, to protect themselves,” he said. “Just laying down and covering up is not enough. The fighter needs to do some sort of movement to solve the situation that he’s in. Sometimes fighters are covering up, but they’re pushing away with their legs, or they’re doing something with their feet trying to improve their position. So I’m looking for anything.”

Anyways, we differ on our opinions but in mine such punches are unnecessary and are what results in fighters like Diego and Hendo being like they are today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Amirkhani a funny fecker altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Amirkhani a funny fecker altogether!

Was about to post the same, funny chap. Hendo wearing an eye patch, his eye lid got slit open. Nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mr Finland's presser game is outstanding, up there with the likes of McGregor and Griffin for me. The lad is pure entertainment.

Im not neglecting it, he wasnt attempting to defend himself while being active. Instinct will make anyone put there hands over their head to defend themselves but thats not intelligently defending yourself. He was on all fours turtled up taking a beating, he made no attempt to get to his feet or move to a position which was an improvement..for example on his back where he might pull guard.

Heres a quote from Herb Dean as to whats considered intelligently defending yourself in such a position..

“I’m looking for some movement, any sort of movement to solve the situation, to protect themselves,” he said. “Just laying down and covering up is not enough. The fighter needs to do some sort of movement to solve the situation that he’s in. Sometimes fighters are covering up, but they’re pushing away with their legs, or they’re doing something with their feet trying to improve their position. So I’m looking for anything.”

Anyways, we differ on our opinions but in mine such punches are unnecessary and are what results in fighters like Diego and Hendo being like they are today..

Regurgitated Herb Dean quotes are irrelevant here and really only serve to add decoration to your post. He was not in control of the fight in question. And regardless of whether he was or not, you can not speak for how he would have interpreted that exchange.

Your using HIS quote to support YOUR opinion. As a professional (like Marc Goddard) Herb Dean may have seen something there to warrant allowing the fight to go on to a more definite conclusion.

Actually it shows what a professional referee considers to be intelligently defending yourself, last time I looked you werent in the cage tonight refereeing and clearly your opinion of intelligently defending is slightly different to Herb Deans so I am going to go with his as he is a professional referee. Its clear that you don't get the whole opinion thing either, I have mine you have yours..there is no right or wrong. You will argue till the cows come home though and in doing so are missing the actual points being made so at this point I leave you to it as this conversation with you is becoming as intelligent as Gustaffsons defending himself..

Roll on UFC 183!

Actually it shows what a professional referee considers to be intelligently defending yourself, last time I looked you werent in the cage tonight refereeing and clearly your opinion of intelligently defending is slightly different to Herb Deans so I am going to go with his as he is a professional referee. Its clear that you don't get the whole opinion thing either, I have mine you have yours..there is no right or wrong. You will argue till the cows come home though and in doing so are missing the actual points being made so at this point I leave you to it as this conversation with you is becoming as intelligent as Gustaffsons defending himself..

Roll on UFC 183!

You, me, or Herb Dean weren't there. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on how Marc Goddard called it and I think he got it bang on.

Again, there is no possible way you can speak for Herb Dean or how he would have interpreted that particular fight. If he had commented directly on it, then yes of course it's valid, but even then, not more so than anyone else. As it is, using a random and arbitrary quote of his does not bolster your point atall.

For all you know Herb Dean could think that was a perfectly correctly timed stoppage.

Oh and btw, I do 'get the whole opinion thing'. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

These Swedish journalists are clowns. One of them said "Alexander, you were the only hope for a title in European MMA, is there any future for European MMA?"

A contender match! There's a Polish fighter who actually has a title fight in the women's strawweight division, and an Irish fighter with a title fight in the featherweight division. The Swedes put on a good show tonight but they're deluding themselves thinking that European MMA revolves around them, particularly in light of the announcements of the Krakow/Glasgow/Berlin events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm a big Gus fan but it's hard not to like Rumble. He has serious power and is definitely a threat to anyone in the earlier rounds, I see JBJ winning though. It's such a pity that Rumble spent so long messing around at Welterweight.

Some of the complaints of stoppages are hilarious, especially the Andy Ogle one. I thought Rogan was taking the mick when he was questioning it in the interview, a bit unfair on Amirkhani as well who was enjoying his win massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Hendo should have been given a few more seconds however would have expected same. Gus was a couple of punches too long. Nothing seriously wrong, what pissed me more was the poor production quality on that BT broadcast. What a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I'm a big Gus fan but it's hard not to like Rumble. He has serious power and is definitely a threat to anyone in the earlier rounds, I see JBJ winning though. It's such a pity that Rumble spent so long messing around at Welterweight.

Some of the complaints of stoppages are hilarious, especially the Andy Ogle one. I thought Rogan was taking the mick when he was questioning it in the interview, a bit unfair on Amirkhani as well who was enjoying his win massively.

Anyone questioning the Ogle stoppage is off their head.

He was taking down the ref after his k/o ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Great night of fights from start to finish. Thought the Hendo stoppage was completely fair, sure when he took mousasi's leg (after mousas stopped) he just face planted, mousasi would have put him out cold if the ref stood back and let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

BOOoòoOOOOOOMMM! I'd feel bad for Gus but he needed a reality check. The way he was saying he was promised a title fight win or lose this one (which is ridiculous) I think he took Rumble for granted a small bit.

Now if he can just repeat that against Jones, id give anything to see Bones get laid out like that. I see he was up to his old tricks of tweeting and deleting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Very interesting statement from Rumble as well.

"I heard his corner say ‘front push kick', and I'm a kickboxer, so I heard it and I know what I do whenever somebody does something like that, I know how to counter it. It was just perfect timing. When they said ‘front push kick', I was like, alright, go ahead. And boom."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Rumble is a Dub too :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Makwan Amirkhani has a lot of potential, not just in the octagon but out of it too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement