Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmed: Windows 10 free as upgrade to all windows 7 and 8 licenses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Great news, but in all such situations we must ask whats the catch ?

I am sure in time some tidbits of information will reveal why they are being so generous but i must say if i am wrong and its simply free with no catches then they have impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

its completely free. and really is it any surprise; they exist in a technology market saturated with competing OSs that are otherwise essentially free and receive free updates: iOS, OSX, Android, Linux, its a rough time for them to market a new OS and slap $100 price tag on it. And Windows 10 is going to target all those sectors: Phone, Tablet, Laptop, PC. Xbox One will support game-streaming-to-PC/Tablet functionality, Windows 10 will support the latest DirectX (12), and it will have the Cortana virtual assistant and its look and feel will include a native start menu once again. Surprisingly, they've also announced they are developing a future update to Windows 10 that will be a Virtual User Interface, called Holo Lens. And whats more, it doesn't look like a clone of google glass: it's more heavily principled on augmented reality, in a way that most people wouldn't normally have even thought of. They're calling it "their moonshot." Holo Lens could be hit or miss, but its terribly ambitious.

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/21/microsoft-jumps-into-augmented-reality-with-hololens-windows-10/

Even with all the new gadgets, its still a new OS, and I'm running the beta and I have to say it looks and feels on the surface like its Windows 7 with a Windows 8 skin/theme, but underneath its got all sorts of new cranks and widgets.

Upgrade sales don't do much for Microsoft anyway, it is mostly OEM and Enterprise that generates the most dollar for them. And in light of that, the industry reported noticeable declines in new hardware sales over the last 2 years. Windows 8 market share is only 10%. They've fired big heads about it, too. Basically, they're saying they can't afford not to re-think their launch strategy for Windows 10. They're going all in. Besides, Apple and Google make their money in less direct ways than OS sales: small cuts from app sales, and having people pay more for additional cloud storage. For most people the 7gb you get free with any microsoft login is sufficient for documents and a good amount of pictures; hell, I already pay $5/month to stream the world of music from spotify - so why would I look funny at a couple bucks for extra cloud storage if I am a heavy user of it? Its not as if people using windows 7 or older much use onedrive anyway, for the most part, so I'd hardly call this a catch, but just a simple change in the business model of the software sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

From the articles I read it sounded like they were moving towards an annual subscription model for Windows 10.

So the first step is to push everyone to Windows 10 for free.
    Second year onwards, start charging them X dollars a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

From the articles I read it sounded like they were moving towards an annual subscription model for Windows 10.

So the first step is to push everyone to Windows 10 for free.
    Second year onwards, start charging them X dollars a year.

It's a permanent upgrade.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/
    This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

What exactly do Microsoft mean by
    supported lifetime of the device

Does the "Device" not refer to the unit the OS is running on as opposed to the actual OS itself?

I assume it means the OS dies with the machine just like OEM licenses?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It'll be interesting to see what the minimum system requirements are, or if the installation is based on the machines specs so will only install certain components or features depending on the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what the minimum system requirements are

Same as Windows 7 and Windows 8. In fact Windows 8 and Windows 10 use less memory and a smaller footprint (hard disk space) when installed than Windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ill probably upgrade my old TurionX2 laptop to 10 to play with (along with the consumer preview VMs I have atm), everything actually used will probably stay on 7 though with the exception of the ultrabook.

Still havent forgiven them for nuking shadow copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The only shame to this news is it isnt available as a free upgrade to Vista users who to be fair deserve the free upgrade more than any1...but its a step in the right direction by Microsoft.

That's pushing it a bit steveon. The last time anyone bought a Vista license was 6 years ago. You can't really expect them to still be in for freebies surely? If that's the case, buyers of ME are more entitled to a free upgrade imho :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

steveon wrote: »
    The only shame to this news is it isnt available as a free upgrade to Vista users who to be fair deserve the free upgrade more than any1...but its a step in the right direction by Microsoft.
    To 7 or maybe 8 but there has to be a limit since Vista was released in January 2007. Maybe see if your free upgrade is possible with your OEM first, then 10 is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

unkel wrote: »
    Same as Windows 7 and Windows 8. In fact Windows 8 and Windows 10 use less memory and a smaller footprint (hard disk space) when installed than Windows 7

I stopped at 7, once I read about the issues with 8 I never bothered checking out 8.1, so didn't check out the minimum requirements for either.

Windows 7 is now 6 years old. It is no longer supported (mainstream). Get with the program, lad! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows 7 is now 6 years old. It is no longer supported (mainstream). Get with the program, lad! ;)

Lack of support hasnt stopped XP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ED E wrote: »
    Lack of support hasnt stopped XP :pac:

That is soooo true ED E :pac:

Microsoft were using the security threat it would pose when support stopped as a means to get users to upgrade and then they turn around and block the installation of MSE on any XP machine that hasn't already got it installed, yet they allow updates on those that already have.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Anyone got a link ? Dying to get off 8.1.

A link to what?

A link to what?

Windows 10 download..is it available ?

At the moment only the Technical Preview. Next week the Consumer Preview. Some time later in the year the final version

Sign up here to download and install Technical Preview. Note that it will expire on 17/04/2015 and it is not known if it can be upgraded to a later version...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

They've released the download for the 9926 build, today instead of the expected date next week.
    It should update by windows update from earlier versions.

Even on junk 8 year old Core 2 1GB laptops with a 64GB SSD it's very usable (though that space will pretty surely not suffice for a permanent install).

• Advertisement

ressem wrote: »
    Even on junk 8 year old Core 2 1GB laptops with a 64GB SSD it's very usable (though that space will pretty surely not suffice for a permanent install).

I don't know why you're thinking that, ressem. As long as you don't clog up your SSD with documents and files, even a 32GB SSD would be fine for a Windows 10 install (of any build number) :)

My own main laptop is about 8 years old too. Running W8.1 with 2.5GB of RAM and it is fine for basic use.

Running 9926 now. A few glitches so far - task manager doesn't seem to have full functionality. But apart from that, it seems fine.

Expiry 01/10/2015 now anyway. Another 6 months added to the running of an excellent fully legit operating system for free :)

Up and running now. So far so good :)

Did you upgrade all the way to 9926 yet, Ole Rodrigo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I don't know why you're thinking that, ressem. As long as you don't clog up your SSD with documents and files, even a 32GB SSD would be fine for a Windows 10 install (of any build number) :)

My own main laptop is about 8 years old too. Running W8.1 with 2.5GB of RAM and it is fine for basic use.

Cough. Windows 8, was a fresh install Jun 2012, measurements following a Diskclean of C:
    Windows 38,508 MB
    windows\WinSxS 8,989 MB
    windows\Installer 8,128 MB
    windows\System32 6,718 MB
    Windows\Temp 5,196 MB (but requires a permission change to look at it's contents and no obvious cleanup button)

it'd be nice if microsoft could demarcate between files of it's making that are...
    Unsafe to change
    deletable
    shouldn't be deleted but movable to another partition.

Maybe Win 11 will allow much of the rarely used cruft to be offloaded to Azure Files :). They'd get great compression ratios if it didn't need encryption for stuff with a Microsoft SHA signature. Or put MS Office on Valve steam.

I'd say you have a couple of very large files on your C drive that I don't have. Hint: hiberfil and pagefile :p

Seems like Diskclean didn't do as good a job as the tool I use for cleaning up. Me. :D

At the moment including all my documents, pictures etc. I 'm using 50GB and that includes the 16GB windows.old directory from last nights upgrade!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

steveon wrote: »

As old as vista is, that is a stretch. Besides, Vista is at best 3% of the market still. And as small as 8's share is, this was a free upgrade for them but giving it to 7 too was just a needed step to kickstart people into updating their software again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I think i will upgrade to this. 1 question what happens my non microsoft programs eg corel draw, CS4 and football manager games. Are they kept and unaffected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    I think i will upgrade to this. 1 question what happens my non microsoft programs eg corel draw, CS4 and football manager games. Are they kept and unaffected

I upgraded to 10 yesterday from 8.1.

Everything is running the way it was before i upgraded (games, FL Studio, Media servers etc)

It installs like a Windows update basically (albeit a very big one!) all the files and programs remain intact, no need to reinstall anything afterwards.

Very happy with it so far, runs very nicely indeed.

Advertisement