Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmed: Windows 10 free as upgrade to all windows 7 and 8 licenses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Will that be the same for Win 7. I remember upgrading a vista machine to win 8 and it wiped everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Will that be the same for Win 7. I remember upgrading a vista machine to win 8 and it wiped everything

Afaik, it's the same for Windows 7 & 8. If you have Vista you will lose stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Ah yeah Its windows 7, I just remember if you upgrade from their previous OS there was no hassle, Deadly, must give it a go. Id be just terrified id loose the software, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can pick up hard drives for very little so you could clone your existing drive, upgrade the clone test it and if you are happy, clone it back to your original. You don't have to have the fastest or longest lasting drive to test the OS on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

FSL wrote: »
    You can pick up hard drives for very little so you could clone your existing drive, upgrade the clone test it and if you are happy, clone it back to your original. You don't have to have the fastest or longest lasting drive to test the OS on.

Agreed, it's meant to work. But these windows upgrades can fail halfway through so it's best to have a fallback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

unkel wrote: »
    Did you upgrade all the way to 9926 yet, Ole Rodrigo?

Apologies for the delay. Yeah I did. I haven't messed around with it fully yet, but it seems alright so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Just upgraded to 10 from Windows 7.
    Is there a reason why all the text looks blurry now??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Just upgraded to 10 from Windows 7.
    Is there a reason why all the text looks blurry now??

Too much redtube? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

unkel wrote: »
    Expiry 01/10/2015 now anyway. Another 6 months added to the running of an excellent fully legit operating system for free :)

Its only useable till 01/10/15??
    FSL wrote: »

Any links how to go about creating a cloneof your drive? Is that like creating an image, if this is a lasting useable supported OS version?
    When I saw this thread, thought, gotta do this, but just want to confirm its a complete workable useable option as it will be for my main laptop.
    I've two other laptops in the house that need updating, but they are on XP and need to explore the options in that, had them on Ubuntu but connecting to a printer was not successful plus the main user of one didn't like the setup/interface/look.
    Any way I can update them, either availing of something else or that could follow on to this upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I have a bootable USB with a linux distro on it and just use the dd command.

If I'm cloning laptop drives I usually connect them both to Sata ports on my PC use that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

cerastes wrote: »
    Any links how to go about creating a cloneof your drive? Is that like creating an image, if this is a lasting useable supported OS version?

Same as creating an image

I use acronis true image (paid for)

I've used macrium reflect free on relatives machines

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortdate/drive_cloning_imaging.html

www.macrium.com/help.aspx under how to -> back up -> backup windows

If you want to revert from windows 10 not sure if macrium would install, so it is worth creating a rescue cd (in help section)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

cerastes wrote: »
    Its only useable till 01/10/15??

When I saw this thread, thought, gotta do this, but just want to confirm its a complete workable useable option as it will be for my main laptop.
    I've two other laptops in the house that need updating, but they are on XP and need to explore the options in that, had them on Ubuntu but connecting to a printer was not successful plus the main user of one didn't like the setup/interface/look.
    Any way I can update them, either availing of something else or that could follow on to this upgrade?

Maybe they will do things differently to Windows7, but that time no. There was no upgrade path from the trial version to the full permanent version.

From XP you'll need to buy a product key and try to migrate to a new setup. This might mean a full backup and restore.
    The details of this procedure aren't announced.

Advertisement