Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL PSU Elections and SU Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I can see this election is generating a lot of enthusiasm on here then. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Illegal postering? Looks like a lot of money spent on them. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

How much do they get paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Midkemia wrote: »
    How much do they get paid?

Sabbats get minimum wage + €1 as far as I remember and are employed for 54 weeks of the year

When're Hustings? Wednesday like last year I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hello4seasons!

Hustings are in Jean Monnet at 7 on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

iLaura wrote: »
    Sabbats get minimum wage + €1 as far as I remember and are employed for 54 weeks of the year

They must be putting in overtime so..

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

They must be putting in overtime so..

The extra 2 weeks is for a hand over period

ULFM conducted a debate-y type of thingy among the Welfare candidates earlier today. You can listen to it here: https://www.mixcloud.com/ULFM/ulsu-elections-2015-welfare-candidates/

Tomorrow at 1pm we've got the Academic candidates in.

Yet to be confirmed, but hopefully on Wednesday at 1pm we'll have the Presidential candidates in.

We're also planning to broadcast Hustings live at 7pm on Wednesday (Internet connection in Jean Monnet dependent).

#shameless #plug-ityplugplug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hello4seasons!

What does everyone make of the elections so far? Who has the best manifesto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What does everyone make of the elections so far? Who has the best manifesto?

There's nobody really there that jumps out or I'd consider voting for. I see Tom Egan is setting people up for a date in an effort to get votes, I mean really? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

sup_dude wrote: »
    There's nobody really there that jumps out or I'd consider voting for. I see Tom Egan is setting people up for a date in an effort to get votes, I mean really? :rolleyes:

I saw that today! Like seriously! I didn't think that would be approved.

Academic candidate interviews, brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood student radio station: https://www.mixcloud.com/ULFM/ulsu-elections-2015-academic-candidates/

Also, just so this post isn't completely spam: https://www.facebook.com/kneelbeforespillane/posts/910995432273589?fref=nf
    My Manifesto is as follows.
    • I will dissolve the positions of SU President, VP Academic and Welfare into one position; Supreme Leader.
    • I will ban all existing courses in favour of three new courses; Intensive farming, Intensive factory work and advanced hacking of movie studio e-mails.
    • Grades will now be assigned via a Hunger Games system.
    • I will cleanse UL of the weak.
    • I will cleanse UL of the strong.
    • I will cleanse UL of the mediocre who have started to skew towards being either weak or strong.
    • To land on the moon before the USSR.
    • All gala balls will be merged into one mega-ball called “John Spillane appreciation night.”
    • I will install a Soylent Green station in the Red Raisins.
    • Charity week will now raise funds for the militarization of the campus.
    • I will release a literal Wolf pack on the students union to speed the whole “Cleansing” process along.
    • I will dismantle the Treaty of Versailles.
    • All tweets, posts and online media must have the hashtag ‪#‎KneelBeforeJohn‬
    • If you don’t get the #KneelBeforeJohn reference you too will be cleansed

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Sounds like Ron Swanson is running!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mary_virgin

I'm blatantly behind tadgh for president but he seems to be hiding behind all the fluff, flash and being 'good craic' instead of showing that he actually is presidential material bit disappointing really- Just cos it worked for Bolger doesn't mean it will for him.

Clarke seems to have some decent achievable ideas but absolutely no charisma or charm - I think that the house of cards thing was done last year? Although it does work very well with with his name.

All I can see about Tom is his big balls - takes them to put up such a bull**** ploy for votes as literally selling sex. Where are these big ideas?

Marian looks like shes either constipated or in pain this whole week - except for the pictures which she looks like shes trying to check if her eyes are bloodshot when going into work hung over.

I would write a post about Kevin but I think i'd fall asleep doing it.

Tits- I mean Danielle looks like shes running for Miss Limerick 2015 rather than welfare. Cover up your 'assets' and join the real world where minions arent as cute and original as you think.

Ciara looks like she got lost on the way to a really **** Halloween party. Either dress up or don't girl, and your posters are ugly.

I am ****ing sick of seeing vanessa obrien's face - or glasses should i say - everywhere. Nobody cares about welfare and NOBODY cares about your manifesto give me my free tea.

Cant wait for hustings.
    xoxo gossip mary

And steve - god bless.

I'm blatantly behind tadgh for president but he seems to be hiding behind all the fluff, flash and being 'good craic' instead of showing that he actually is presidential material

Only the niche group that follow SU stuff care about the latter. The former is what consistently wins elections, both SU and real world.

Jez, bit harsh there new poster...

I'd probably vote for Tadgh but that's probably because he's better craic. Don't particularly like him as a person though. Plus, I've no idea who the other two running are or what they're like.

Don't like Tom's approach at all so that's a no vote. Poor choice in campaign manager too, but that's just personal choice.

Are Marian and Vanessa related? If they had the same hair, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart :o

Only met Kevin briefly but he seemed like a nice guy. Why would that cause you to fall asleep?

Danielle doesn't actually show tits though, so why she's called that, I'm not sure. It just sounds like people don't like the fact she's a pretty girl. Plus, Minion's are awesome!

As for Ciara, jez relax. It's horribly cheesy and as a comic fan, I'm shaking my head at it but ugly?

Also, I care about welfare. I think it's a very important role!

sup_dude wrote: »
    Also, I care about welfare. I think it's a very important role!

And I'm sure anyone who's had to avail of a welfare officer's services will tell you the same thing.

I'm horrifically biased in the both President and Academic races, but in Welfare I'd find it very hard to make a choice. They all seem like very passionate people and I think all of their manifestos have good points.

Not sure which it is, but one has the nightline phone number idea. That was ripped to shreds when another candidate suggested it a few years back IIRC.

AT LAST some conversation on boards!! Sorry I had to be such a see you next Tuesday to all the candidates to get it going, this year has been boring as ****. I usually enjoy watching the trolling, candidates hAve it way too easy this year. That being said apologies for the personal digs above they were an attempt to start any kind of conversation on this godforsaken website; my actual views are below

WELFARE
    (In seriousness now in my opinion hands down the most important position)
    All spoke well on ul fm. Ciara was a delight when meeting her. Danielle I haven't really seen around and does seem to be relying on her looks A bit in fairnes, her manifesto is all over the shops. I can't be the only one to notice she wants the su common t room to 'be a place to distress'. It's between va nessa and ciara for me, vanessa actually has ways to achieve everything in her manifesto written out Which I like but i'd like to hear ciara speak at hustings, she's very passionate.

PREZ
    I stand by what I said above, tadgh needs to show that he can do the job well AND be good craic. I think he's perfect for the role but a bit disappointed in his campaign, it's a bit marmite. Colin on the other hand has been a bit safe, going for the informed vote is risky, look at bolger last year.

ACADEMIC
    This one I think is just as close as the welfare. Tom needs more than his big balls as said above. Genuinely thought his campaign was a joke til today. Marian I just don't like. Don't know why. Can't defend it. I just don't like her. So no. Maybe it's the yfg association or maybe it's the Co op office association. That leaves Kevin, seems like a nice chap, shudder to think of the amount of money he's spent on the campaign. Decent manifesto but nothing that has jumped out at me. All very beige.

Disagree?

• Advertisement

The reason I haven't said much on it was because I don't really have much of an opinion on any of them and I'm in fourth year so it's not going to affect me anyway. My post was directly in response to yours just. In my four years here, I'm gonna be honest and say I never really gave a fudge who was elected.

What was your original name, since you know so much about Boards? Maybe the election just isn't a very interesting topic...

Got bombarded with nonsense pamphlets around the college today.

Colin Clarke (President):
    All of it is absolutely useless except;
    Kitchen Facilities in Red Raisin?

Vanessa (Welfare):
    Literally the same, completely useless except;
    LGBTQ+ Friendly Campus

Ciara (Welfare):
    Actually like all of her ideas but they are sparse and we don't need it enough to pay someone to do it.

Dumped the other leaflets so no review.

If someone voted on the platform that their salary would be donated to charity (Milford Hospice?) and just move on with their life, graduating or whatnot, instead of pretending they do anything remotely worthwhile, or that affect the majority of students, they would romp home to being elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I like this new poster..
    Don't usually comment on it, in fact I actively avoid it, but like to see where this is going now.. :P
    No idea how last crowd did this year but I suspect a lot of people will try and follow Bolgers remarkably successful strategy of doing something out of the ordinary. This will make/break candidates and imagine it will be interesting and cringe-worthy to behold.
    Never had any dealings with SU really but going into 4th year I might so might have a look at some stuff.
    Everyone gets stick from everyone when campaigning and when rumours kick off, everybody's running for every position. Remember a friend, <snip> was supposedly running for some post. Bright lad, probably could've done it as well, and there was uproar about him being a racist because him and a friend have a joke about calling each other racists, the other lad being asian. It was absolutely nothing and blown out of all proportion, better yet, had no intention of running for anything as far as I know.. :P
    Love how everyone goes ape sh*t around this time although it means Red Raisin off limits for a week or so..
    Think this year will be a lot of trying hard to be funny though and I'm glad I'm 1500km away.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jen_Jane_Ryan

Everyone is compaining about Danielle using her looks, a picture had to be taken....its not her fault she took a good one!! Her ideas are original and different to the welfare jargon used by previous candidates. All of the welfare candidates are running really good campaigns and have strong manifestos, it is unfair that Danielle's posters and campaign are being targeted. she is a pretty girl but has brilliant credentials, she has been president of the law society, has competed for Ireland in many sports and is extremely passionate about UL. All of her manifesto is achievable and if people would get passed the "pretty photo" they would realise she is a legitimate candidate. This campaign should be based on what the candidates are doing, commenting on anybody's looks is not right and unfair when each of them have put a lot of time and effort into their campaigns. Everyone has there opinions but being harsh and getting personal is demeaning the election as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Strange how good looks are used to negatively portray people now when I often thought it was a good feature. Never vote of someone based on their looks though good or bad. I would have a problem if they tried to force it down my throat or it was used as part of their campaign.
    Like if I was targeted by good looking girls, telling me nothing about campaign manifesto or anything trying to woo me into a vote. Being a gent I'd listen to what they had to say then when they're done, forget everything except the candidates name as one I definitely won't vote for.
    A lot of advertising teams have cost their candidates my vote in the past.
    Anyone that hands out sweets and lollies I try to avoid..
    I won't be bought, Ill vote for person I find most suitable and if I don't find anyone suitable, I won't vote. Simple as that..
    Give everyone a chance but coming at me with sweets and forcing flyers into my hand isn't going to do it for me.. Especially if I'm late for something, which I often am, and am clearly making it known I don't want to talk to anyone.
    Have in the past after trying to plead my case, taken a flyer and gone back on myself to bin it so I can pass person again..
    It's like charities again... not saying charity is bad, but stickers are necessary so you won't get badgered by other people when you're walking around town/city..
    Sometimes feel the need to keep all flyers on you just to wave people off..

Her ideas are original and different to the welfare jargon used by previous candidates. All of the welfare candidates are running really good campaigns and have strong manifestos,

Could you please share her ideas if you have them on hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jen_Jane_Ryan

A free weekly legal advice centre for students- we are the only university in Ireland without one.
    Free self defence and student safety workshops
    A Freshers buddy programme similar to the international buddy programme
    Exam time activities like 5-a-side soccer and boardgames in the courtyard
    Student friendly spaces not based around study and alcohol- improving the SU common room
    Late night phone line developed with the counselling service
    They are the main points

A free weekly legal advice centre for students- we are the only university in Ireland without one.
    Free self defence and student safety workshops
    A Freshers buddy programme similar to the international buddy programme
    Exam time activities like 5-a-side soccer and boardgames in the courtyard
    Student friendly spaces not based around study and alcohol- improving the SU common room
    Late night phone line developed with the counselling service
    They are the main points

Fair enough, they are actually good ideas for the most part. Happy to be wrong with my condescension.

They should give up on the SU common rooms, it's impenetrable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BrandonF1993

NO BIAS OR AFFILIATION TO ANY CANDIDATE JUST MY OWN OPINIONS

PRESIDENT:
    Tadhg O'Donovan: Why has his manifesto not gone up yet? Great numbers behind his campaign and the parade and puppy drew big attention but where are the ideas to back it up?
    Colin Clarke: impressive manifesto by the looks of it! Really strong presence on campus and seems like a nice guy to talk to. Although I don't understand his point about bringing back race day but maybe I'm just not involved enough in SU related things to know what's going on there. He seems to have a lot of experience with SU though and seems to be a popular candidate on campus.
    Stephen: WHERE IS HE??? Haven't been approached by one person from his team. Went to the stand in red raisins and his campaign team barely registered with me when I took a manifesto which actually looked like it had decent ideas but there was no one to ask for more details from.
    It's between Tadhg and Colin for me so far but Tadhg's manifesto could swing that when/if it happens.

WELFARE:
    Vanessa O'Brien: Really strong manifesto with detailed plans of how to achieve her aims and really strong presence on campus. Her team are really enthusiastic and friendly and the stall outside the ski slopes giving out tea, fruit and sweets is a solid idea! Not sure if her involvement in drama soc will bring her the numbers she needs but she's by far the most present on campus out of the 3 candidates. Awful video though.
    Ciara Corcoran: Massive manifesto that doesn't actually say much. Her team are doing good work but personally not liking the "Welfare Woman" slogan, cringey. She does seem really passionate about the role but doesn't seem to have any momentum behind her.
    Danielle O'Sullivan: Getting a lot of stick on here for relying on her looks. Fair enough people defending her a pretty girl shouldn't be penalised for being pretty but a guy from her team did approach a few male friends and myself on Monday and he said "she's hot" as part of his speel about her so she really does seem to be going for the "I'm a hot blonde" vote. Which is fair enough if it works for her because her manifesto probably isn't strong enough to stand up on its own two feet, some pretty good ideas but no method for achieving them set out. Her minions are very enthusiastic though which might swing her the vote.

ACADEMIC:
    Kevin Cahir: Seems like a really impressive guy with really impressive ideas. Very strong manifesto but out of the 3 candidates probably the smallest campaign presence. Really needs to get numbers on the ground if he has any chance of fighting the momentum of Marian and Tom. Strongest and most original manifesto of the 3 by far.
    Tom Egan: His manifesto is very meh and he doesn't seem to have any credentials to make him suitable for the role. I heard a bit of the ULFM interview with the candidates where he admitted that he hadn't even attended the UGM. If someone is totally unfamiliar with the SU I really don't see why they're running. Having said that his team full of good looking girls and guys will go a long way I'm sure and he seems to be hitting the Bolger territory with his "big balls big ideas" slogan and auctioning off dates. Will probably get the votes of the "off campus" crowd.
    Marian O'Donnell: Impressive lady but utterly unlikable (I've no idea why that is, she just seems to be). Big emphasis on co-op office as she worked there but beyond co-op reform the manifesto is pretty weak. Personally I think the 24 hour study area would be a complete waste of resources and is utterly unnecessary. However, her team seem to be the most committed out of all of the candidates in all of the positions which will go a long way in getting her votes.

PREDICTIONS:

Should win: Colin, Vanessa and Kevin.
    Will win: Tadhg, Vanessa and Marian.

Roll on hustings!

(In other news that John Spillane page is absolutely hilarious.)

• Advertisement

Is Marian still going on about that? Myself and herself nearly had an argument one day over it. I was just back from CoOp and doing orientation and we were stuck outside waiting on something. She was talking about the CoOp office and how great it is and how lucky we are to have it etc. Unfortunately, I had a terrible placement where I was nearly hospitalised and got little to no support from the CoOp office for it. When I mentioned it to her, she didn't like me saying something bad about the place at all so she got quite narky and defensive with me and basically told me that it's not the CoOp office's job to sort out problems like that and that it's not their fault the industry is so bad etc. I'd forgotten abouot that until you mentioned it there. That's another no from me so!
    That's my Academic vote sorted so.

Advertisement