Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL PSU Elections and SU Elections

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Second last bit of shameless promotion, Presidential candidates discussing such topics as USI membership, the UGM, alcohol and a whole bunch more: https://www.mixcloud.com/ULFM/ulsu-elections-2015-presidential-candidates/

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I like this new poster..
    Remember a friend, <snip> was supposedly running for some post. Bright lad, probably could've done it as well, and there was uproar about him being a racist because him and a friend have a joke about calling each other racists, the other lad being asian. It was absolutely nothing and blown out of all proportion, better yet, had no intention of running for anything as far as I know.. :P

I don't recall there ever being uproar about this?

Must be something wrong with me because I haven't been approached by them at all :P But I'm happier to just read their manifestos than to have to listen to their campaign team so that suits me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Really have no idea what anyone's manifesto actually is, and to be honest I don't actually care all that much which is an awful thing to say. But in the fours years I think I've never voted on this but I've voted twice on the referendums. Welfare issue is important though so it is actually good to get someone good for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Anyone else go to hustings? Opinions?

iLaura wrote: »

I did, but I found it difficult to concentrate on what was going on because of that eejit sitting behind the candidates wearing headphones. What was that lunatic at lads?!

Answer: This: https://www.mixcloud.com/ULFM/ulsu-elections-2015-hustings/

(last spam, I SWEAR!)

On a serious note though, this was one of the strongest Hustings in all my time in UL. All 9 candidates have some very good ideas and it's hard to rule out anyone as a complete non-runner like previous years.

For me, Colin won President (but I'm biased, so make of that what you will), tough call between Marian and Kevin for Academic, Marian probably shaded it (again, bias), and all three Welfare candidates spoke very well, Ciara probably the one that stood out most to me.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    On a serious note though, this was one of the strongest Hustings in all my time in UL. All 9 candidates have some very good ideas and it's hard to rule out anyone as a complete non-runner like previous years.

For me, Colin won President (but I'm biased, so make of that what you will), tough call between Marian and Kevin for Academic, Marian probably shaded it (again, bias), and all three Welfare candidates spoke very well, Ciara probably the one that stood out most to me.

I like how Colin (at least I think it was Colin) did a little shout out to you :P
    I think that votes will be tight and that it'll be really close between all candidates. I went in this evening with who I was gonna vote for set in my mind, and now I'm conflicted. The only person I know I'm definitely voting for is Ciara

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

My third time attending in my four years here, and it was the most impressive I've seen. Everyone spoke very well and some great points were raised. Definitely agree that it's hard to rule anyone out entirely.

I reckon some of the results will be very close tomorrow, especially between Tadgh and Colin for President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Well that's my vote in for the final year. I have never had a year that a person I voted for was elected..Kinda hoping this year I made a correct judgement! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MarkNother

Am I the only person to ever just use their name?? =P

I was at hustings last night and to be fair all nine spoke very well and answered some difficult questions well enough.

I'm biased in Welfare as I'd made up my mind earlier in the week for Vanessa through both knowing her and the layout of her manifesto; I think it's important candidates actually explain how they plan on achieving their goals. Ciara will be getting my number two after last night, thought she was excellent. Danielle, despite the unfair abuse she has been getting, has proved a good candidate throughout the week to be fair, and although she would probably to a decent job I feel she's unlucky to come up against two stronger candidates this year.

As for academics.... Where do you start... None of the three have exactly emerged as a favorite nor do I feel they have managed to capture the imagination of the campus. Don't get me wrong the campaigns, though all different, are reasonably strong but none of them have in anyway done a Paddy Rockett style approach and been on the tip of everyones tongues. And to give Paddy credit, no matter what your opinion on him or his time in office, he ran ground campaigns immensely well during election weeks. If I had to pock one I think Marian slightly shaded hustings. Some people may say she went on about her experience in co-op but who cares, if she managed to make any reforms would that not be achievement enough for a term in office??

Obviously my own interests lay in the presidential race. If I'm honest, and I think most people will agree, the race seems to be shaping up like last year with Tadgh, Colin and Steve playing the roles of Tommy, myself and Lorna...probably in that order when the result comes out as Tadgh has gone for the majority populist vote (which is a solid tactic because it works) while Colin has gone for the more informed/class rep/council vote. I think both Colin and Tadgh would be very strong presidents, different, but strong.

You have to commend them both on their amazing campaigns, the knowledge and commitment of Colins team met with the enthusiasm and commitment of a different style of Tadgh's team has led to a two horse race that I really can't call.

Maybe you disagree but that's my thoughts on the week so far. If you expected me to slate anyone sorry to disappoint but from running myself last year I know it's tough and the effort that goes in the 80% of people will never see. So in advance I'll congratulate them all on the week and hope that whomever is unsuccessful can still see the week for the fantastic experience that it is.

M

Over 660 votes cast so far. Remind all your friends to vote!

Personally I'm voting Ciara #1 for welfare. I think her manifesto is very achievable and has so much to add to campus, especially the Love Your Body week. It has great potential to raise awareness with body issues that I know a lot of people, including some of my friends, are dealing with.
    All 3 welfare candidates have placed strong emphasis on mental health and safety issues which are hugely important especially considering the recent student deaths on nights out etc.

And then I'm torn between the other two positions. Marian Vs Kevin for academic and Tadgh Vs Colin for prez. I feel bad ruling both Tom and Steve out, but I dont think that this year is their year, especially when you take into account the CV of the other candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I must commend all candidates on their excellent campaigns. The university was awash with bright ideas and striking enthusiasm!

I'm sure that, regardless of who is elected, the future of the Students' Union is in good hands. Or rather I should that no matter the outcome, the union and the student body will benefit from engaged, intelligent and committed sabbatical officers.

Good luck to all.

Results;

President: Colin Clarke
    Academic: Marian O'Donnell
    Welfare: ?? Haven't heard anything/see anything on facebook as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aineb100

I heard Ciara got welfare.

Does anyone have the info about the voting numbers?

aineb100 wrote: »
    I heard Ciara got welfare.

Does anyone have the info about the voting numbers?

Thanks! I haven't heard anything from her yet about it.

Liz posted the number of votes cast at about 5.20ish and it was over 2000 at that stage. I know nothing about the votes cast for each candidate though

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Marion? Academics and Fine Gael ...... fan_f-ing_tastic

Kevin Cahir announced yesterday at hustings that he was once part of Fianna Fail soc (whatever they're called), and then part of YFG :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aineb100

I'm more worried about her love of the co-op office, seems unwillingly to acknowledge any faults that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

aineb100 wrote: »
    I'm more worried about her love of the co-op office, seems unwillingly to acknowledge any faults that they have.

That's what I'm worried about too. If she refuses to acknowledge where the CoOp office has problems, despite working in it, then is she going to acknowledge where the SU have problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Kevin Cahir announced yesterday at hustings that he was once part of Fianna Fail soc (whatever they're called), and then part of YFG :P

Other way around, he left YFG to join ogra FF. I lived with Colin Clarke in 1st year and we stayed friends, he's going to do a really good job.
    Also know Marian through YFG, she won't let that affiliation get in her way I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

80 responses and over 6500 views - who is reading this thread?

Boards has quite a reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Breakdown of the votes as follows;

Academic:
    Kevin - 685
    Thomas - 899
    Marian - 1414
    RON - 52

Welfare:
    Ciara - 1182
    Vanessa - 870
    Danielle - 840
    RON - 39

President:
    Colin - 1821
    Stephen - 361
    Tadgh - 1057
    RON - 58

Wow, didn't think Kevin would come last in Academic if I'm honest. And holy hell that's an impressive margin for Colin, I thought it'd be way closer than that.

Fair play all round, all very strong candidates, 3 very deserving winners. Best of luck to them all.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Wow, didn't think Kevin would come last in Academic if I'm honest. And holy hell that's an impressive margin for Colin, I thought it'd be way closer than that.

Fair play all round, all very strong candidates, 3 very deserving winners. Best of luck to them all.

Yeah, same. I honestly thought that all the votes would be so much tighter than they were. Colin was the only one who broke quota also. Looks like people really want his UL fest and better wifi in Raisins (though afaik that is very unlikely to happen unless the university invest some serious money)

Hail, Mr. President.

(Forgot this video existed, with good reason probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Contacting Enda that the student body has faith in Fine Gael?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Breakdown of the votes as follows;

Academic:
    Kevin - 685
    Thomas - 899
    Marian - 1414
    RON - 52

Welfare:
    Ciara - 1182
    Vanessa - 870
    Danielle - 840
    RON - 39

President:
    Colin - 1821
    Stephen - 361
    Tadgh - 1057
    RON - 58

There's always a Ron enters it for the craic...
    He'll win one of these days... :P