Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I call a halt?

• 22-01-2015 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

It is almost 2 am. I allowed my 17 year old son have a party. Should I go kick everyone out now or at least ask for the music to be turned off? We have no close neighbours so not disturbing anyone other than me and I rarely sleep before 3. Am just a bit fed up of the constant pounding of music and them jumping up and down above my head.

They have been so good, having a few drinks and just dancing. The few times I have gone up they have all been so nice and respectful and understand that as the parent I have to check in from time to time.

So AH....is it time to pull the plug?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No.

You said it yourself they've all been nice and respectful, etc, you rarely sleep before 3, sounds like you've no real reason to tell 'em to knock it off. If your son and friends are having fun, I'm sure you can grin and bear it for another hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Witchie wrote: »
    It is almost 2 am. I allowed my 17 year old son have a party. Should I go kick everyone out now or at least ask for the music to be turned off? We have no close neighbours so not disturbing anyone other than me and I rarely sleep before 3. Am just a bit fed up of the constant pounding of music and them jumping up and down above my head.

They have been so good, having a few drinks and just dancing. The few times I have gone up they have all been so nice and respectful and understand that as the parent I have to check in from time to time.

So AH....is it time to pull the plug?

Just say that it's time to wind it down then give them a few more hours narc.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

No, leave them at it.

Also, Wednesday night party? Bit random no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

School in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Is it not a school night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm her playing power ballads on me Todd and you never told me about the party?! Harrumph!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Join the party, put on some Toto and dance while saying some buzzwords like "radical" and "gnarly grooves", you'll kill the mood and they'll want to leave pronto :cool:

At least that's what happens when I go to parties :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Do whatever you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Schools are on strike tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I'm her playing power ballads pulling me Todd and you never told me about the party?! Harrumph!!

fyp

• Advertisement

fyp

No you didn't, you just repeated what I said! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Do whatever you want.

BUT THINK ABOUT THE OMEN
    A VISION IN YOUR MIND WILL LEAD YOUR WAY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

My sisters 18th... let them at it, gave them.some drinks... at 2amish, I went in and told em game over. Thats late enough for the sprogs. Also, dont think they wouldntve brought their own nagins etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you're not going to sleep soon and they've been good then why not let them have their fun for a little while longer? No harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

No. Take some cocaine with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Just bust in there and break out in song. :) Air guitar optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Sure you might as well just do a poll on AH to decide the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

As someone said they have no school coz of strike.

I was just thinking that as a responsible parent I should have a curfew on it.

Might go tell them to kill the music but they can hang out for another while. Some of them are staying over.

Also don't want them getting too drunk and puking everywhere.

Aggh the parent in me wants to kill the party but the fun person wants them to continue having the craic.

I have been a few times and 2 german lads tried to get me to join them dancing and asked could they have a party here every week! Another lad told me I was a legend and told me to take a beer coz they wouldn't miss it.

Was a bit shocked to see an empty bottle of burbon and 2 empty scotch bottles coz don't really like kids drinking spirits but can't really enforce a beer only rule.

My son informed me I missed them snorting cocaine off hookers already so there is not much for them left to do.

Ruu wrote: »
    Just bust in there and break out in song. :) Air guitar optional.
    o/ o/
    Let me! Let me! Let me!

Other parents will not be impressed either if you let them hammer away too long. They're still kids and 2am is leeway enough.

• Advertisement

See that was my thinking. I usually collect my son around 2 from anything coz its too late for under 18s to be out partying after that in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I hope any teachers reading this thread are hanging their heads in shame. Because of ye, these kids will end up like us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Tell them you're heading to bed soon so you'd appreciate it if the noise stopped?

You've been very generous and they seem appreciative of it, so it seems only fair.

Though if some are staying over, the end of the music won't necessarily mean the end of the drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just start your own party downstairs. Turn your music up, go and raid their beer and whiskey, and drink yourself to sleep.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Just go up and say its time for some real music. Then throw on some Slayer or pantera. That'll shift em..

Only if they're hippies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Yes call it a night, you did let them drink:rolleyes:, which they will think is cool anyway..anyone drunk or tipsy now will stay that way in your house, you certainly don't want them any 'drunker'.. But that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

This is a role play oder? By that I mean your a 25 year old slob with greasy hair 'posting up bit of the lulz on the Internet bai".

Bull**** thread is bull****

If you really must call it a night, get a Shrek mask, burst into the room and yell "IT'S ALL OGRE NOW!"

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Just go up and say its time for some real music. Then throw on some Slayer or pantera. That'll shift em..

They would love that music....most of the lads are into heavy metal.

Have called it a night but now have to drop 4 of them home coz no taxis at this hour during the week in this crappy town. A lot more are staying over than originally planned including some girls. Am not happy.

My son will not be getting party privileges again in a hurry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Links234 wrote: »
    If you really must call it a night, get a Shrek mask, burst into the room and yell "IT'S ALL OGRE NOW!"

Followed by "GET OUT OF MY SWAMP!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

They would love that music....most of the lads are into heavy metal.

Have called it a night but now have to drop 4 of them home coz no taxis at this hour during the week in this crappy town. A lot more are staying over than originally planned including some girls. Am not happy.

My son will not be getting party privileges again in a hurry.

Do people usually tell the Internet this much information? I just couldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If you were in your sons place and having the laugh with your friends would you want your mother coming in and putting a stop to it? Leave them off, it's not like it happens often and when they have other parties at other parents houses and those parents stop it they'll all think back to how you were sound enough to not do that. If they're making too much noise and keeping you awake when you go to sleep then send your son a text and ask him to turn off the music but that they can keep going if they want.

Edit: well I guess that's that

If you were in your sons place and having the laugh with your friends would you want your mother coming in and putting a stop to it? Leave them off, it's not like it happens often and when they have other parties at other parents houses and those parents stop it they'll all think back to how you were sound enough to not do that. If they're making too much noise and keeping you awake when you go to sleep then send your son a text and ask him to turn off the music but that they can keep going if they want.

Edit: well I guess that's that

They're 17. Do you want to be their friend? Bit clueless there bud. As someone else pointed out, half the little bollockses will be ralphing away. Will look great when mum rolls up to collect them with spittle drooling down the chin and the noxious smell of puke and fart fragranceing the air

Dropped first batch off. On way with last one now.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh to be 17 again!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Strike? Aren't they nearly always on Holiday or some mid-term break?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Your son and his friends were most likely on ecstasy, deal with it.

There is some mess for my son to clean tomorrow, just hope he goes to bed soon so he is not too hungover to do it.

I had made only a few rules and one of them was that no girls were to stay and another was that no one was to go to the rooms on the top floor. Both rules have been broken so not a happy bunny. Scared that one of the young ones will get pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Join the party, put on some Toto and dance while saying some buzzwords like "radical" and "gnarly grooves", you'll kill the mood and they'll want to leave pronto :cool:

At least that's what happens when I go to parties :(

You and I should hang out sometime. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

There is some mess for my son to clean tomorrow, just hope he goes to bed soon so he is not too hungover to do it.

I had made only a few rules and one of them was that no girls were to stay and another was that no one was to go to the rooms on the top floor. Both rules have been broken so not a happy bunny. Scared that one of the young ones will get pregnant.

The main thing is! You seem to be in total control......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

they are doing no harm annoying no one let them have their fun .

They will be old and sensible in time enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Get yourself a toyboy from the group.

God no Shruikan......my elder son's friends maybe coz would only be a 21 year age gap but 25 is too much! :D

aw there was no harm done other than me not sleeping a wink coz was worrying about them all but everyone was safe and sound and well behaved so can't ask for much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The more you post, the more I worry that you are not only a pushover but can't see through to the consequences. Have the parents agreed to the girls staying over? Are you making sure no shenanigans? Are you sure all the girls are 17 or over - remember Juliet commits no crime but Romeo does in this enlightened country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You know we rode in your bed when you dropped the other lads home? Our plan worked.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The more you post, the more I worry that you are not only a pushover but can't see through to the consequences. Have the parents agreed to the girls staying over? Are you making sure no shenanigans? Are you sure all the girls are 17 or over - remember Juliet commits no crime but Romeo does in this enlightened country.

The girls were all over 17 and no crimes were committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Do people usually tell the Internet this much information? I just couldn't.

You should read the personal hygiene thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ethel

aw there was no harm done other than me not sleeping a wink coz was worrying about them all but everyone was safe and sound and well behaved so can't ask for much more.
    No spirits, no girls, and no upstairs rules all broken. I'm not having a go, just think you need to talk to your son and tell him you trusted him to ensure these rules were kept. And I hope he tidied up.

The onus would be on you if anything got out of hand. You can only account for those invited, the add ons would make me feel uneasy. Its a difficult age. In a hurry to grow up, but not quite pub legal yet. Just be sure your leniency and trust aren't being abused.

Ethel wrote: »
    No spirits, no girls, and no upstairs rules all broken. I'm not having a go, just think you need to talk to your son and tell him you trusted him to ensure these rules were kept. And I hope he tidied up.

The onus would be on you if anything got out of hand. You can only account for those invited, the add ons would make me feel uneasy. Its a difficult age. In a hurry to grow up, but not quite pub legal yet. Just be sure your leniency and trust aren't being abused.

Oh believe me we had a talk about it today. He has the house spotless again and has changed and washed all the bed clothes. I told him he won't be having another party.

Girls were allowed but didn't want them staying over and bar storming into a room and dragging them out to the car I couldn't really do anything about it.

In general, for a party of young ones they were so well behaved. Not even a bottle was broken and they were all very polite and sweet. Just not happy about the rules being broken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement