Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist attractions between Downpatrick Head and Achill

Options
  • 22-01-2015 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

Friends are coming from Dublin this weekend.
    We've decided I'll meet them in Ballina and we'll drive to Downpatrick Head and later to Achill.
    Is there anything interesting to see between those two where we could quickly stop on the way?
    From Downpatrick Head we'll be driving on R314. I though about cutting short through L1204 near Carrowmore lake towards Bangor-Erris instead of driving to Belmullet, but maybe there is something interesting around Belmullet.
    Then from Bangor-Erris stright to Mulranny on N59 and to Achill.

Any ideas of things to see on that route or around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

CiniO wrote: »
    We've decided I'll meet them in Ballina and we'll drive to Downpatrick Head and later to Achill.
    Is there anything interesting to see between those two where we could quickly stop on the way?
    From Downpatrick Head we'll be driving on R314. I though about cutting short through L1204 near Carrowmore lake towards Bangor-Erris instead of driving to Belmullet, but maybe there is something interesting around Belmullet.

Céide Fields are not far from downpatrick head.

Worth a visit I think. Check the opening times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

If the weather is any was decent, you could take a boat ride from Doran's Point to Inishbiggle Island. I haven't done it myself but it looks good. Check out the website sites.google.com/site/inishbiggle/ (sorry, can't post links)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

If the weather is any way decent, you could take a boat ride from Doran's Point to Inishbiggle Island. I haven't done it myself but it looks good. Check out the website sites.google.com/site/inishbiggle/ (sorry, can't post links)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

go dowpatrick, ceide, through bangor and on to achill, you could call to ballycroy national park visitor centre this way.

http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/

bit off your track but close enough

http://www.mayowalks.ie/WalkingTrails/LocalisedLoopWalks/CarrowteigeLoopWalks/index.aspx

tir saile sculpture trail

http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/things-to-do/museums/tir-saile.html

moyne and rosserk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

woody1 wrote: »
    go dowpatrick, ceide, through bangor and on to achill, you could call to ballycroy national park visitor centre this way.

http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/

QUOTE]
    Word of warning - ballycroy visitor centre is closed until March according to the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

sorry i meant to say to check if it was open :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Downpatrick is nice, especially when its stormy out.

Not sure if Ceide is open this time of year.

Can recommend a good B&B if youre stopping in ballycastle

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

CiniO wrote: »

I toured the Mullet Peninsula last october within 2 days which included some great costal parts in the north (eg Erris head) with fab views towards the mainland. The part between Belmullet and Mulranny which I used when turning back to Dublin is mostly bog and coastal parts which are not as spectacular as the northern parts of Mayo incl the Mullet. What else I did this january was driving from Bangor towards Crossmolina and leaving for the R312 heading for Newport. That was one of the most loniest drives of my live with great views of the Nephins. Plus you could add some minor roads flowing west from the R312 towards the Nephins and get a very good impression of what walking in the Nephins would be like. There are no specific POI but would prefer this way over the coastal route (= N59) again.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

You're driving through one of the last unspoiled wilderness areas in Western Europe. Not a whole lot of "stuff" to do apart from outdoors stuff and scenery

Foxford Wollen Mills or Museum of Country Life outside Castlebar would be worth a diversion, as would he Michael Davitt Museum in Straide (if it's open)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the céide fields are closed for the winter so scrap that, dont open till easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thanks everyone for idea.. We have only one day, so we'll see how much can we visit.
    Generally we are focused on scenery, so some good advice here.
    Thanks.

Advertisement