Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New baby essentials

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi I am a new first time mum. Am due my baby in a few weeks and want to make sure I have everything. Am really just looking to know what is the essentials needed from the moment my baby comes out for a few weeks. I can buy stuff when we are home and get settled but until then what is required.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

The obvious first, nappies, clothing, bibs, cot, little hat for when leaving the hospital, baby chair for car. Bottles and feed, regardless if you are breastfeeding or not. Two of my cousins were 100% going to be doing the breastfeeding, but as it worked out they weren't producing enough milk and had to go to bottles. And a little soother. Also Bepanthane (could be spelled wrong) for the little bum.

All the best with the big day OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

hallo dare wrote: »
    Bottles and feed, regardless if you are breastfeeding or not. Two of my cousins were 100% going to be doing the breastfeeding, but as it worked out they weren't producing enough milk and had to go to bottles.

Can't say I'd agree with this advice at all.

If you're planning to breastfeed, then it's likely that you will, for at least the first few weeks/months. Of course it doesn't always work out that way, but no harm planning for it.

The hospital won't let you home until the baby is feeding well (either by breast or by bottle.)

If breastfeeding is going well, you don't want to have bottles and formula in the house as an easy opt-out. I've often read that you should never give up on breastfeeding on a bad day. Having everything there in the house would make it all too easy to give up in the early cluster-feeding days.

If you end up bottle-feeding (as I did) - the hospital will supply formula while you're there, and you can buy a large tray of small pre-made bottles and teats in the hospital to get you through the early days. Then you can figure out what bottles and formula you need. You won't be stuck!

It's pointless buying that sort of stuff in advance if you're planning on breastfeeding - some bottles suit some babies better; if breastfeeding works out you can skip the smaller sized teats; you'll need different formula depending on whether the baby has reflux or is combined-feeding or loads of different factors.

I couldn't care less if you agree with it or not. It happened and it can happen, nothing wrong with being prepared.

Plus you contradicted yourself in your first few lines. In fact you contradict yourself throughout your whole post.

hallo dare wrote: »
    I couldn't care less if you agree with it or not. It happened and it can happen, nothing wrong with being prepared.

Plus you contradicted yourself in your first few lines. In fact you contradict yourself throughout your whole post.

I didn't. :confused: I outlined how planning for breastfeeding would preclude having bottles and formula in the house. These can be bought quickly and easily at any time if necessary.

All the best with everything OP. At the end of the day, every mother is different and every child is different. You will simply know yourself what works best regardless of what others say. Enjoy it all because the time runs away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I would agree with seventeen sheep, of you're planning on breast feeding I would not have bottles or formula in the house. you can always pick up ready made bottles in the local chemist or supermarket or formula itself if you are stuck. if you are planning breast feeding lanolin cream and multimam compresses are essential. I used them in the hospital and a lot in the first few weeks. best of luck op and as you said yourself you can pick up anything you need.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I agree, I had planned on breastfeeding, due to a physical problem I could only syringe feed while in hospital. When I did go home it took a 5 min trip to the local shop to pick up formula and a bottle.
    If you are planning on breastfeeding I wouldn't bother with bottles, if you need formula they will supply it in hospital, and once you don't live in the middle of nowhere you could get some when you need them.
    Had no need for a Moses basket, used crib upstairs and pram part of our travel system downstairs. I wouldn't stock up on nappies or wipes until the baby is here, only ones that fit my son at the start were huggies and you usually use water and cotton wool for the first while as skin is so sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Exciting times OP. I'd have the following for the baby;
    Nappies, wipes, nappy bags, a changing mat, vests, baby grows (a good few as they have a tendency to wee everywhere!), somewhere for baby to sleep (crib or Moses basket), car seat, buggy, baby bath, somewhere to out baby down for a few minutes like a rocker or beanbag

I bottle fed from the start but brought home one of the trays of premade bottles from the hospital shop, very handy for the first few days til you get into the swing of bottle making.

For yourself: lots of maternity pads, batched cooked/ready meals, stool softeners and senocot (nobody tells you about the horrific 'first bowel movement') and don't accept too many visitors early but definitely accept all the help offered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

If you end up bottle-feeding (as I did) - the hospital will supply formula while you're there, and you can buy a large tray of small pre-made bottles and teats in the hospital to get you through the early days. Then you can figure out what bottles and formula you need. You won't be stuck!

It's pointless buying that sort of stuff in advance if you're planning on breastfeeding - some bottles suit some babies better; if breastfeeding works out you can skip the smaller sized teats; you'll need different formula depending on whether the baby has reflux or is combined-feeding or loads of different factors.

Minor point but not all hospitals are allowed sell these small bottles when you leave! Certain hospitals (I. E. Wexford) are designated breastfeeding friendly initiative hospitals and can't sell these as it's seen to promote bottle feeding. The nice nurses will give you a couple of loose ones for the day you leave but you'd definitely need to go shopping for supplies straight away.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Minor point but not all hospitals are allowed sell these small bottles when you leave! Certain hospitals (I. E. Wexford) are designated breastfeeding friendly initiative hospitals and can't sell these as it's seen to promote bottle feeding. The nice nurses will give you a couple of loose ones for the day you leave but you'd definitely need to go shopping for supplies straight away.

Oops. :) In Holles St, they sell the mini-bottles of C&G, SMA and Aptimel in the hospital shop, along with pre-sterilised teats. I think it's trays of around 24 (so would do a new baby maybe 3-4 days, till the parents figure the rest out, if they had previously been planning on breastfeeding.)

I still think that if you're planning on breastfeeding, and it doesn't work out, it's time enough to shop for bottles and formula etc after baby is born. No harm in doing the research first, so you know what costs might be involved and what the pros and cons of different brands are, but I don't think it's a good idea to have supplies in place for formula-feeding if you're planning on breastfeeding. Breastfeeding seems hard enough, without having a tin of formula there practically taunting you about how easy it would be to just give up. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Agree on the breastfeeding points, no harm to know where the closest place to you is for getting supplies, but do arm yourself with the contact details of a local Ciudiu group or lactation counsellor. Even better to go to a group or a lc before baby arrives. The key to breastfeeding success is support, support, support. A tube of lansinoh and some multimam compresses are very useful, even the smoothest bf journey will involve sore nipples in the beginning!

Muslin clothes, vests and babygros, cotton pads, and one pack of newborn nappies for baby.

Breast pads, maternity pads, witch hazel (in case of a tear) and plenty of comfy cotton big granny pants for you. Penny's were a godsend for these, I just went with a size bigger than normal, they got destroyed in the days after baby arrived and I was able to chuck them out after a week or two.

If people ask you for gift ideas, frozen meals or hot meals delivered to your door and vouchers so you can pick up stuff that you decide you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yes if people ask you is there anything that you need for the baby ( present wise) id suggest vouchers.

its amazing how much 0-3 month clothes you get as presents and a lot u don't need. You really need clothes on the 12 months mark or beyind and thats where I felt vouchers could come in handy.
    I didn't dress mine in anything other than sleep suits for first3 months anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yes if people ask you is there anything that you need for the baby ( present wise) id suggest vouchers.

its amazing how much 0-3 month clothes you get as presents and a lot u don't need. You really need clothes on the 12 months mark or beyind and thats where I felt vouchers could come in handy.
    I didn't dress mine in anything other than sleep suits for first3 months anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

First time mama to a seven month old here
    Regards the breastfeeding/bottles thing...I'd get some bottles and maybe one tin of formula.Just because my experience was that I had to go back to the hospital the week after the birth for a D&C, and my mum and other half were doing baby care at night.My milk took a week to come in, and the first week was spent in the hospital with the baby, as she was on antibiotics.At the end of all that, the absolute last thing I was
    going to do was go out and buy a steriliser, bottles, teats, and formula when I got
    home.Physically I was in no state to go
    anywhere for several days.You can buy small
    prepared bottles, but they (SMA anyway) are six
    bottles in a box for 12eur.You don't get much
    mileage out of 6 bottles with a newborn.
    I'm not trying to scare you-I'm simply saying have something in the house in case you find you have to bottle feed.Even if it's just a borrowed steriliser or microwave steriliser bags, and a few bottles and one tin of formula.
    Other essentials-bibs, bibs, bibs :-), blankets (plenty of them), a couple of little cardigans as it's cold this time of year, vests.We stock piled nappies,wipes, cotton wool...sure you can go out to buy them, but it's just so handy not to have to think about them for the first couple of weeks.Panadol and neurofen for yourself, loads of pads, and frozen premade food if you can manage.Even just soup, for your lunch.When it comes to moses baskets etc, it's all personal choice, though I will say that a bouncer chair could be handy....we got one as a present at 5 weeks amd I realised I could have done with it a bit sooner.Less for the baby, more for you, to give you five hands free minutes!!
    Best of luck OP!!
    Best of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

lots of places that you can put baby down while you have a cup of tea, go to the bathroom, have to do small jobs around the house. The bouncy chairs for babys are a must I found. I spent a load of money on a really expensive graco swing/boucer chair and he hated it- I bought a cheap bright starts chair with just a bar of toys hanging over it and he loved it and practically lived in it for the first couple of months haha!

muslin cloths, nappies, plenty of vests and vaseline for any dry spots. babies dont need near as much as most people think at first (myself included!!) and its good to borrow as much as you can from family and friends at first before you buy because each baby has their own personal preferences.
    best of luck and congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Size 1 nappies
    Water wipes - expensive but the only thing I'd use

Breastfeeding- best be prepared to give you every chance of success
    Lanolin/multimam creams (hospital gave me some)
    Breast pads - don't buy too many, I never leaked
    Breast shields
    Multimam compresses (hospital gave me a pack)
    Nursing bra - I use a lidl sportsbra

Vests & baby grows - newborn & 0-3
    Cardigans
    Hats

Bouncer

Car seat

Bath time
    Batya cushioned bath support - better than any baby bath if you have a normal bath
    Silcocks base - baby bath is too harsh for newborns

I knew I'd eventually express so bought steriliser that came with bottles etc before baby arrived while on special but expressing isn't recommed until 6weeks so no rush, agree with others here, if your stuck for formula, you get it when needed, hopefully you won't.

Best of luck!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Regardless of whether or not you plan to try breastfeeding, don't go getting a big tin of formula until you know if it agrees with the baby or not.

While I did breastfeed primarily, at 3 months I introduced a formula bottle for the bedtime feed and to my dismay found that the powdered version of the same formula gave the baby diarrhoea. Discussed it with a few other mums, some of whom found similar when switching between brands or ready-made to powder. It was €13 down the drain, it couldn't be donated anywhere because it had been opened. :(

Similarly with nappies, my sister stocked up with nappies for her baby beforehand, the same brand that my baby used without a problem. They were a disaster for her, and she wasted the guts of €100 with unused nappies and having to buy replacements. Some babies can have reactions to different nappies. So, again, before you stockpile stuff, make sure it suits your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Neyite wrote: »
    Regardless of whether or not you plan to try breastfeeding, don't go getting a big tin of formula until you know if it agrees with the baby or not.

While I did breastfeed primarily, at 3 months I introduced a formula bottle for the bedtime feed and to my dismay found that the powdered version of the same formula gave the baby diarrhoea. Discussed it with a few other mums, some of whom found similar when switching between brands or ready-made to powder. It was €13 down the drain, it couldn't be donated anywhere because it had been opened. :(

Similarly with nappies, my sister stocked up with nappies for her baby beforehand, the same brand that my baby used without a problem. They were a disaster for her, and she wasted the guts of €100 with unused nappies and having to buy replacements. Some babies can have reactions to different nappies. So, again, before you stockpile stuff, make sure it suits your baby.

Totally agree with this. I tried to stockpile size 2 nappies and just about got through them before size changed. She was no time at all in size 2. A few bits as mentioned above are handy to have but just don't get too much of any one thing in case it doesn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Buy as little as possible. All babies are different.

My second baby, at a totally average 3.5kg was about 2 weeks in size 2 nappies, and never fit 0-3month clothes. 3-6 clothes from the start, she was just long.

Bouncy chair I found handy alright, baby loved it, but sure you don't need it straight away. And some very nice people in your circle of friends and family will possibly phone you after the baby has arrived saying 'do you need anything for the baby?'. Bouncy chair is 20 euro, so that's a nice easy one. "Couple of baby grows in size x please" is another nice one to say to people, as baby clothes are loads of fun to pick out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Babygros. Not too many of any size.
    My breasts.
    Cloth nappies and wipes. Water wipes.
    Good buggy that's easy to get out with.
    Tablet for the endless breastfeeding in the early days.
    I found a nice changing bag in a not too mumsy style very handy.
    I'm iffy on the formula debate. I had it in the house second time along with sterilizer and bottles going on my first time where we combination fed. Never tempted to use it second time around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement