Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repairing a little chip?

• 22-01-2015 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Managed to chip my car door yesterday with the key... don't ask just was rushing and smashed it into the door as i was reaching for the handle to open..

Small little chip out of the door.. i have some touch up paint at home right colour etc.. whats the best way to approach it? I was thinking just getting a cotton bud or something and putting a little dot of paint into the chip? Its tiny.. so not very obvious but once you know its there its kinda bugs me :)

Any advice appreciated

Cheers,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Clean it with ipa.
    Use a toothpick to drop the tiniest bit of paint in there.
    Allow it overnight to dry
    Hopefully it will look hollow.
    Drop some clear lacquer in there to form a little dome.
    Allow as long as possible to dry. Overnight at least.
    If you are happy with that then fine.
    If not then a little wet sand with very fine waterpaper > 2500 or lighter
    Fuff up and smile. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

vectra wrote: »
    Clean it with ipa.
    Use a toothpick to drop the tiniest bit of paint in there.
    Allow it overnight to dry
    Hopefully it will look hollow.
    Drop some clear lacquer in there to form a little dome.
    Allow as long as possible to dry. Overnight at least.
    If you are happy with that then fine.
    If not then a little wet sand with very fine waterpaper > 2500 or lighter
    Fuff up and smile. :D

The lacquer and IPA you refer to - where the handiest place i could find it?

Cheers,
    Mick

The lacquer and IPA you refer to - where the handiest place i could find it?

Cheers,
    Mick

IPA > Chemist I get mine.

Lacquer > Touch up pen at local Autofactor or Halfords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Be really careful what your doing, any time I have went at chips it can end up like this pretty quickly...

• Advertisement

Be really careful what your doing, any time I have went at chips it can end up like this pretty quickly...

This will definitely be a case of less is more

LOL

No, Take it easy and tiny drop of paint at a time.
    Once colored, top with lacquer. You may be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Stay away from halfors and get OEM supplies.

Stay away from halfors and get OEM supplies.

I have used Halfords on a few occasions for touch up paints and never had an issue with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I have used Halfords on a few occasions for touch up paints and never had an issue with them.

+1 for touch ups halfords paint will do fine. I usually get the pre mixed aerosol (if the right color is available on the shelf) for about €10. I spray a bit into the cover and use toothpick to fill in the chip with the paint. I only used their chip repair kit once and didn't find it great tbh.

• Advertisement

I have touch up paint directly from Honda... just going to get the lacquer from halfords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

They mixed paint for me and it was 50 Shades of grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Had a few issues with Halford paint myself. I use motor colour online. Great service.

Vectra if your using much ipa and being charged slightly over the top from the chemist, drop me a pm. I have litres and litres of the stuff.

Mr Detail wrote: »
    Had a few issues with Halford paint myself. I use motor colour online. Great service.

Vectra if your using much ipa and being charged slightly over the top from the chemist, drop me a pm. I have litres and litres of the stuff.

I think last time I paid around €8 or so for a 250ml bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

I think last time I paid around €8 or so for a 250ml bottle.

That's not too bad. I sent someone in around a year ago for some and they told me they got it and it cost €12. Fine I thought until I seen the bottle. 100ml.

I sell 250ml for 3.99 online (for professional use only) ahem.

Advertisement