Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not quite Friday rant - low cal energy drinks

Options
  • 22-01-2015 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Saw an add for a low calorie energy drink on the way into work today.
    Seriously? Are people that fecking thick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So, low energy energy drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm going to start selling fat free water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

AKW wrote: »

Think of the shipping costs AKW... could you powder it for later dilution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Well the target audience must be people interested in consuming stimulants rather than loading carbohydrates for long distance running.
    So the only valid objection is that strictly speaking it's a misnomer. But I can't think of a marketable alternative. "Flavoured sugar free stimulant drink"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Well the target audience must be people interested in consuming stimulants rather than loading carbohydrates for long distance running.
    So the only valid objection is that strictly speaking it's a misnomer. But I can't think of a marketable alternative. "Flavoured sugar free stimulant drink"?

No.

No stimulants.

Half the sugar.

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/stores/ranging-and-merchandising/lucozade-energy-rolls-out-first-reduced-sugar-drink/370061.article

http://www.lucozadesport.com/products/lucozade-sport-lite/7/

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    The first one does contain caffeine.
    The second link is to "sports drinks", not "energy drinks".

I see no reference to caffiene for the first one

Do forgive me for using the terms "sports drinks" and "energy drinks" interchangeable on a sports related board.

tunney wrote: »
    I see no reference to caffiene for the first one

Do forgive me for using the terms "sports drinks" and "energy drinks" interchangeable on a sports related board.
    I found the ingredients at a different link:

"Carbonated Water, Glucose Syrup (10%), Comminuted lemon (5%), Acid (Citric Acid), Flavourings, Sweeteners (Acesulfame-K , Sucralose), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Caffeine"

http://www.lucozadeenergy.com/reduced-sugar-cloudy-lemonade/

The sports drinks are marketed as offering better rehydration. They contain a few vitamins and Sodium Citrate and Calcium Carbonate to make it alkaline or at least not acidic.

Loading with these [S.C. and C.C.] has been shown to offer significant improvements in running certain distances, but also frequently causes stomach upset. Don't know if the amount used in these drinks contain enough to have any effect in that regard or not.

I found the ingredients at a different link:

"Carbonated Water, Glucose Syrup (10%), Comminuted lemon (5%), Acid (Citric Acid), Flavourings, Sweeteners (Acesulfame-K , Sucralose), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Caffeine"

http://www.lucozadeenergy.com/reduced-sugar-cloudy-lemonade/

The sports drinks are marketed as offering better rehydration. They contain a few vitamins and Sodium Citrate and Calcium Carbonate to make it alkaline or at least not acidic.

Loading with these [S.C. and C.C.] has been shown to offer significant improvements in running certain distances, but also frequently causes stomach upset. Don't know if the amount used in these drinks contain enough to have any effect in that regard or not.

You are right as well. There is a distinction between electrolyte only drinks and sports/energy drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

yes people are that thick to drink energy drinks in the first place.
    given that most are seriously overweight this might be actually not such a bad idea ( but i totally get what you are saying )

but i think if one looks how much junk is sold in supermarketes the only really solution would be a sugar tax and reduction of vegetable tax

• Advertisement

as long as you dont say its effective against deyhdration i dont think the european commisonon would hadve a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Think of the shipping costs AKW... could you powder it for later dilution?

Perfect! Rehydrate the dehydrated fat free water with ordinary tap water :D

I like it

peter kern wrote: »
    yes people are that thick to drink energy drinks in the first place.
    given that most are seriously overweight this might be actually not such a bad idea ( but i totally get what you are saying )

but i think if one looks how much junk is sold in supermarketes the only really solution would be a sugar tax and reduction of vegetable tax

Low calorie energy drinks are a testament to the power of marketing departments and the stupidity of the average person.

I agree with you on the most being overweight. What was deemed normal weight is now seen as skinny. People striving to be less fat rather than in shape.

However I have a problem with a sugar tax. People will still be fat even if there was no sugar. Just eat more bacon, crisps, etc etc. personal responsiblity - BMI in the obesity range - oh look now the public healthcare system won't look after you, you are on your tobler. Oh wait you ate your tobler.....

Perfect! Rehydrate the dehydrated fat free water with ordinary tap water :D

I like it

I have some magic beans you might like.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Tim Noakes on the low energy sports drinks is great. BBC Panorama have to cut as he’s laughing too much.

youtu.be/k4e85ZnVjmU?t=11m

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

from that panorama clip:

powerade zero hydrates, but then so does water, and you can get that free from the tap.

tut tut panorama, spreading blatant lies like that

mossym wrote: »
    from that panorama clip:

powerade zero hydrates, but then so does water, and you can get that free from the tap.

tut tut panorama, spreading blatant lies like that

Obree and his nutrition is great too.

Remember once being up the Dublin mountains in the middle of winter with one of the tri uber bikers of the day. Snow on the ground and cold as can be. I had an energy bar and a few gels for the ride. He had a sausage and bacon sandwich with ketchup wrapped in tin foil so it stayed warmish.

We all would happily of beat him to death with our pumps to get those sambos.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Tim Noakes on the low energy sports drinks is great. BBC Panorama have to cut as he’s laughing too much.

youtu.be/k4e85ZnVjmU?t=11m

7.32 in the video is class and i guess shows most of the humbug of sports nutriton not just energy drinks.

Advertisement