Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking and noise at Luas stop

Options
  • 22-01-2015 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a question about noise at night at the Luas stop near my house. A couple of nights a week groups of what I think are college students gather there to drink before heading into town. It can get really noisy from their shouting, and they're usually there for a good while before they finally get a tram into town. They were there for a good portion of two hours late on Monday night this week.

I know that noise complaints are not something that the guards deal with, so I'd never call them. From what I read it's more the city council that deal with that kind of thing. I've sent an email to the Luas people to see if there's anything to be done.

Is it worth getting in touch with anyone when it happens? Or is it simply a case of sucking it up and seeing if ear plugs will do the job? The trams stop around 12:30 I think, so it never goes on too late, but it's still a nuisance for old fogeys like me trying to get to sleep.

Back in the day when I was in college we used to meet at each others houses to have a drink or two before heading out, but not even the cold weather keeps this bunch indoors, they're mad things! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Call the garda every night and report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Which stop is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

BlueFairy wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have a question about noise at night at the Luas stop near my house. A couple of nights a week groups of what I think are college students gather there to drink before heading into town. It can get really noisy from their shouting, and they're usually there for a good while before they finally get a tram into town. They were there for a good portion of two hours late on Monday night this week.

I know that noise complaints are not something that the guards deal with, so I'd never call them. From what I read it's more the city council that deal with that kind of thing. I've sent an email to the Luas people to see if there's anything to be done.

Is it worth getting in touch with anyone when it happens? Or is it simply a case of sucking it up and seeing if ear plugs will do the job? The trams stop around 12:30 I think, so it never goes on too late, but it's still a nuisance for old fogeys like me trying to get to sleep.

Back in the day when I was in college we used to meet at each others houses to have a drink or two before heading out, but not even the cold weather keeps this bunch indoors, they're mad things! ;)

Ring the luas company and make a formal complaint that luas customers are consuming alcohol and loitering at the same stop on a regular basis. They will station security there for a few nights. Make it their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BlueFairy wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Noise pollution is for the council but public drinking and anti social behaviour is for the Gardai, luckily since you think that they students the Gardai might actually respond

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Dress up as a junkie and threaten them with a syringe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

Honestly theres not alot you can do after telling the council/Luas crowd. The Gardai wont do **** all unless you live in some posh area. Is this only a recent thing

Honestly theres not alot you can do after telling the council/Luas crowd. The Gardai wont do **** all unless you live in some posh area. Is this only a recent thing

Not true. I lived in a so called no posh area and the garda would nearly always swing by and disperse the toe rags when called.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just moved to the area a few weeks ago, but according to my housemates it's been a regular thing for quite a while now.

It's the Windy Arbour stop, so not exactly a posh area. They were there again last night, loads of actually roaring and screaming until they eventually got on a tram. Might be worth calling the local garda station so, see if it's something that they can deal with.

I've been in touch with Luas, but so far they've only sent me a generic reply that had nothing to do with what I asked about initially.

Will pick up some ear plugs today anyway, see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Captain BringDown

Have you tried approaching them and asking them to be more considerate, if they dont oblige, id throw things at them.

Have you tried approaching them and asking them to be more considerate, if they dont oblige, id throw things at them.

Throwing things at them over the garden wall is something I had considered ;)

Seriously though, given the way they shout and scream it doesn't inspire any confidence that they're reasonable people. I know it sounds like a rational approach, but in practice I'd find it too daunting to go out into the crowd myself and ask them to keep it down :o

• Advertisement

This. Don't do it. They'll know where you live for a starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Lob a stink bomb their direction as soon as they gather, after a few times they'll find somewhere else

You may be surprised with how understanding they are if you go talk to them though

Lob a stink bomb their direction as soon as they gather, after a few times they'll find somewhere else

You may be surprised with how understanding they are if you go talk to them though

You may be surprised when cans and bottles are lobbed over your wall. Seriously, it would be naive to think that the pros and cons of going out to them would actually trend towards it being a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

You may be surprised when cans and bottles are lobbed over your wall. Seriously, it would be naive to think that the pros and cons of going out to them would actually trend towards it being a good idea.

Impossible to know without having seen them, most people aren't pricks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A colleague of mine from work had a similar issue with groups of young folk drinking on a patch of green out the back of their estate. Himself and about eight other oul' lads went and stood among them, talking about gardening. They moved off elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Windy Arbour not exactly a ghetto. Very odd to me, why would anyone congregate at a Luas stop to go drinking?! Bizarre. And it is freezing out. Do you think it's the same crowd all the time?

If you ask the guards to put it on their route then they will. Even if they swing by twice a night for a few weeks that should discourage them.

I wouldn't go near them either. At best you will get a '**** off' but you might also be chased home and pelted with bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Windy Arbour not exactly a ghetto. Very odd to me, why would anyone congregate at a Luas stop to go drinking?! Bizarre. And it is freezing out. Do you think it's the same crowd all the time?

If you ask the guards to put it on their route then they will. Even if they swing by twice a night for a few weeks that should discourage them.

I wouldn't go near them either. At best you will get a '**** off' but you might also be chased home and pelted with bottles.

I'm not sure if it's the same crowd all the time to be honest, but I'd assume it's probably roughly the same people. It's bizarre I know, why would you gather there to have a drink before heading into town, why not gather in each others houses? There are several houses and apartments right next to the luas stop there, so I'm assuming that other people in the area will find it equally noisy. I mean, you can't complain about regular noise when living so close to a stop, but gathering there to drink is beyond acceptable.

Thanks for the suggestion, next time it happens I might just give the local garda station a shout and see if there's any action they can take or if there's anything else I can do myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Windy Arbour is a stop in a very residential area. Report it to the local garda superintendent in writing Write again to Luas see is there is a local residents association and do they have issues write to Dun Laoire Rathdown council and copy to your local councillors and TD if you are in an apartment block ask the management company to also complain.
    You might get a result . I think the Guards would act and the kids being basically nice will get on the next Luas to town and they wont mes around with Luas security.

Windy Arbour is a stop in a very residential area. Report it to the local garda superintendent in writing Write again to Luas see is there is a local residents association and do they have issues write to Dun Laoire Rathdown council and copy to your local councillors and TD if you are in an apartment block ask the management company to also complain.
    You might get a result . I think the Guards would act and the kids being basically nice will get on the next Luas to town and they wont mes around with Luas security.

Thanks, it seems that there's probably a lot that I can do. I know they're probably young students and harmless really, so they mightn't need much persuasion to just get on a tram into town instead of hanging around. I did chase Luas about it last week, and they've apparently passed the complaint on to their security and compliance department, but who knows if that actually means anything.

To be fair, I haven't heard anyone at the stop at night since last week, but I'd be wary of believing that the issue has been totally resolved. Cheers for the advice, if it starts up again I have a couple of different routes to take now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement