Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a consulting business

Options
  • 22-01-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am currently reviewing employment terms on behalf of a family friend (25) who is working for a manufacturing company in Dublin in their operations department. His current salary is circa 50k plus expenses.

He is also interested in acquiring an investment property to rent out in a university district. I am interested to hear your views on whether it might be a good idea for the individual to set up a consulting business and then be sub-contracted by his current employer. He would then also be able to purchase the property in the company's name.

My question here is what are the potential benefits/drawbacks of this idea or is it even a feasible plan worth considering?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Sammy Sam wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am currently reviewing employment terms on behalf of a family friend (25) who is working for a manufacturing company in Dublin in their operations department. His current salary is circa 50k plus expenses.

He is also interested in acquiring an investment property to rent out in a university district. I am interested to hear your views on whether it might be a good idea for the individual to set up a consulting business and then be sub-contracted by his current employer. He would then also be able to purchase the property in the company's name.

My question here is what are the potential benefits/drawbacks of this idea or is it even a feasible plan worth considering?

Thanks.

First of all, if he is 100% contracted to one company Revenue will likely treat him as an employee. There are a few indicators, and the company paying expenses is another indicator that he is an employee.

Advertisement