Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Boundary extensions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

O Riain wrote: »
    There's a US billionaire after buying a house in Stradbally!

He is there for over a year , was on a walk through the estate last Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

wellboytoo wrote: »
    He is there for over a year , was on a walk through the estate last Sunday

Did ya ask him for a few bob?

Seriously though, the council should be wining and dining this man...

O Riain wrote: »
    Did ya ask him for a few bob?

Seriously though, the council should be wining and dining this man...

The boss man of 3 lives in Dunmore

Great post btw Fricatus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

page 25 of the local goverment act 2014 clearly states the name is Waterford city

the boxed table at top of page

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2014/en.act.2014.0001.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

fricatus wrote: »
    ...I read somewhere that there were 17 submissions, and 15 were against this so-called merger...

+1 on this. I was one of the people who made a submission against the merger. I was later appalled to find out that I was one of only about 17 submissions.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

robtri wrote: »
    page 25 of the local goverment act 2014 clearly states the name is Waterford city

1. Perhaps you did not read the text in the box you refer to, which states clealry the name of the local unit of government as "Name of City and County" = 'Waterford'. See page 24 where it lists the named three Cities an dthere are only 3, Cork, Dublin and Galway.

2. page 22 of the Act confirms that waterford and limerick may still 'call themselves cities' by stating clearly that "the continued use of the description city in relation to Limerick and
    to Waterford, to the extent that each of those descriptions was used before the 2014 establishment day and is not otherwise inconsistent with this Act.”. This is meaningless, if those cities no longer exist legally. see point 3

3. page 19 states clearly that

"(c) the local government area of the county of Waterford and the local government
    area of the city of Waterford as existing immediately before the 2014 establishment day—

(i) shall cease to exist on that day, and

(ii) the areas so ceasing shall, on that day, be amalgamated to form a single local
    government area to be known in the Irish language as Cathair agus Contae
    Phort Láirge and in the English language as Waterford City and County.

I think it's pretty clear that the City no longer exists as a legal or governing entity. To suggest it does is flat-earthy.

mire wrote: »

1. Perhaps you did not read the text in the box you refer to, which states clealry the name of the local unit of government as "Name of City and County" = 'Waterford'. See page 24 where it lists the named three Cities an dthere are only 3, Cork, Dublin and Galway.

2. page 22 of the Act confirms that waterford and limerick may still 'call themselves cities' by stating clearly that "the continued use of the description city in relation to Limerick and
    to Waterford, to the extent that each of those descriptions was used before the 2014 establishment day and is not otherwise inconsistent with this Act.”. This is meaningless, if those cities no longer exist legally. see point 3

3. page 19 states clearly that

"(c) the local government area of the county of Waterford and the local government
    area of the city of Waterford as existing immediately before the 2014 establishment day—

(i) shall cease to exist on that day, and

(ii) the areas so ceasing shall, on that day, be amalgamated to form a single local
    government area to be known in the Irish language as Cathair agus Contae
    Phort Láirge and in the English language as Waterford City and County.

I think it's pretty clear that the City no longer exists as a legal or governing entity. To suggest it does is flat-earthy.

so what part of name of city and county not clear enough as to that there is a waterford city....

show me where the city title has been removed?? show where it says the title and status of a city has been removed...

the rest of what you posted referes to the administration of the area.. nothing to do with city status.... it says no where that the city title has been removed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

...the rest of what you posted referes to the administration of the area.. nothing to do with city status.... it says no where that the city title has been removed....

WHOW!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

fricatus wrote: »
    It shouldn't matter anyway what the local government boundaries are. If the government is allocating services to different areas, it should be doing so on the basis of the population served (i.e. within a specified distance or driving time of a population centre). They're clearly not doing that, either deliberately (because it suits not to) or through incompetence.

Tramore and Dunmore and the city are 1 now, The old borough boundary is defunct.

• Advertisement

so what part of name of city and county not clear enough as to that there is a waterford city....

show me where the city title has been removed?? show where it says the title and status of a city has been removed...

the rest of what you posted referes to the administration of the area.. nothing to do with city status.... it says no where that the city title has been removed....

Are you actually serious? Do me a favour and read what I quoted, please. I think that you may not actually understand what the legislation actually states. It says that the City of Waterford "shall cease to exist" The new Local Authority is the "City and County of Waterford" i.e. an amalgamated entity.

Your statement that "the rest of what you posted referes to the administration of the area" suggests to me that you're completely confused. The 'administration of the area" means its governance, its legal status in other words. The legislation identifies only three legal cities in Ireland. Waterford isn't metioned. You can keep on pretending if you like.

Are you actually serious? Do me a favour and read what I quoted, please. I think that you may not actually understand what the legislation actually states. It says that the City of Waterford "shall cease to exist" The new Local Authority is the "City and County of Waterford" i.e. an amalgamated entity.

Your statement that "the rest of what you posted referes to the administration of the area" suggests to me that you're completely confused. The 'administration of the area" means its governance, its legal status in other words. The legislation identifies only three legal cities in Ireland. Waterford isn't metioned. You can keep on pretending if you like.

No I not confused, i think you are reading between the lines and coming up with your own interpertation....

the document clearly states the name waterford city

local authority does not define if a place is a city or not....

The CSO staes they are a legal city

http://census.cso.ie/censusasp/saps/boundaries/city-towns_bound.htm

Towns with legally defined boundaries
    These comprise
    the five County Cities (Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway);
    the five Municipal Cities (Clonmel, Drogheda, Kilkenny, Sligo and Wexford);

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

No I not confused, i think you are reading between the lines and coming up with your own interpertation....

http://census.cso.ie/censusasp/saps/boundaries/city-towns_bound.htm

These comprise

You are actually clutching at straws man if you are using the census. Everyone here has read the legislation and come to the conclusion that Waterford has been robbed of its city status. Before, I was 50/50 as to how it was gonna turn out but now I see it for what it is.

Can you just accept Fianna Gael has demoted Waterford and Limerick just so they can focus on three cities in Ireland the south, east and west.

These comprise

OK, you're actually having a laugh. What defines a city is its legal status as a governing entity. Waterford city is not a legal entity. It cannot issue contracts, it cannot pay bills, it cannot hire, it cannot issue tender notices, it cannot carry out works, it cannot hold elections, it cannot raise taxes, it cannot function as a separate governing entity. It can 'call itself' a city if it wants. But that's like telling a child he can call himslef Batman if he wants. That doesn't mean he's Batman. You see the difference.

By the way, the CSO reference was useful. The CSO last collected information on cities and counties in 2011. Before the merger. This will be revised in 2017. Your straw clutching is coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paul2015

The new County Development Plan for County Galway which comes into effect next week does not mentioned that people from City cannot move to high pressure areas in the county. It has never mentioned it but the planners seems to have an internal rule. Do you reckon I could take a punt on some agri land in somewhere like Oranmore and hope the city will expand.

Advertisement