Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NyTablet 8 Windows 8.1 €99.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Quazzie wrote: »
    I can't seem to reserve one. I keep getting an error when I try. Anyone else getting this?

Just worked for me. Which store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

degsie wrote: »
    Just worked for me. Which store?

Turned out to be a chrome problem (or at least for me it was) as when I use IE (shudder) it worked fine.

Any video review I've seen of a Bush MyTablet it is of an android system.

Any video reviews of it running windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

T-Bird wrote: »
    Yeah but it's getting a bit passed acceptable now. Another shop (either HN or PC) can't think such one showed incorrect picture a few weeks ago as well.

I guess it's possibly they've changed the spec slightly and that's the reason the price has dropped a bit too, description does sort of suggest 2 usb connections, usb hub should be an option but the way they work for tablet charging seems to vary between tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bawnBeag

Guys, have been using today for the last few hours. This is an unbelievable bargain. The build quality is superb, screen is more than I expected. No issues so far, delighted with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

bawnBeag wrote: »
    Guys, have been using today for the last few hours. This is an unbelievable bargain. The build quality is superb, screen is more than I expected. No issues so far, delighted with it.

+1
    Excellent piece of kit...a steal at this price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Turned out to be a chrome problem (or at least for me it was) as when I use IE (shudder) it worked fine.

Think you might have to get used to IE if you buy one of these ;)

wilser wrote: »
    Think you might have to get used to IE if you buy one of these ;)

Surely I can install chrome on it couldn't I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Using Chrome on it right now. I'm also getting the desktop version of Boards as it is being recognised as a desktop/laptop due to the O/S and resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

A couple of questions for the owners:

What's your opinion of the cameras in low light?
    How does it hold up with playing 720p / full HD video? Can you post the frame rates?
    Are there two micro USB + mico HDMI as the pic in the Argos UK site?

Can this connect to an external HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Surely I can install chrome on it couldn't I?

My bad
    I thought chrome didn't work on this

A couple of questions for the owners:

What's your opinion of the cameras in low light?
    How does it hold up with playing 720p / full HD video? Can you post the frame rates?
    Are there two micro USB + mico HDMI as the pic in the Argos UK site?
    • Rear camera is quite bad in low light - lots of artifacts. being used to Android, I haven't figured how to switch to front.
    • Haven't the foggiest. Had a quick look for a test program but gave up, sorry.
    • 1 USB, 1 HDMI.
    Another thing to note is that text entry is strange after coming from Android. Haven't tried an external drive yet as I can't find my mini USB adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Would love to know how kodi runs on this and if someone can confirm if sky go works too.

• Advertisement

Gulliver wrote: »
    Haven't tried an external drive yet as I can't find my mini USB adapter.

Dont you need OTG adapter?

zom wrote: »
    Dont you need OTG adapter?

Yeah, called it a mini USB in error. This one is like mine, one piece, no cable. Works on my HTC, so I imagine it should work on Windows if I can find it.

Yes you can install chrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

bawnBeag wrote: »

any light bleed on the screen? also, the PCPro review mentions the bezels covering over the edges of the actual lit display, is this apparent on yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Can this connect to an external HD?

Only if it is self powered.

My Voya-A1 has no problems running them. But only when it is charging. It has a separate power input, which means that it can run USB and charge at same time. It also has 2 Gig ram instead of 1Gig.

In fact, it runs so well that I am using it as a replacement to my desktop PC.

I have one of these in the post for a linx tablet, in the hope that it can charge and use USB at same time. I dont think it will work, but it worth a try for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Yeah, called it a mini USB in error. This one is like mine, one piece, no cable. Works on my HTC, so I imagine it should work on Windows if I can find it.

It might be best to get one with a cable (straight, not right angled) if you intend to use HDMI. The slots are quite close together and the size might impede the mini HDMI connector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

T-Bird wrote: »
    I have one of these in the post for a linx tablet, in the hope that it can charge and use USB at same time. I dont think it will work, but it worth a try for the price.

tried something similar, said it was for samsung i think, on my win8.1 baytrail tablet and wouldn't charge, it seems some tablets have a sense connection and some use a resister across the data lines, might try modify the cable I got to get it to work, example for dell venue

Thanks for replying Gulliver, this is very useful info.

- Re. the video - does it play YouTube videos in HD quality smoothly?

Here's a link that will open in HD and YouTube should display a red "HD" on the gear wheel icon.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/0SjreSnLSjM?vq=hd1080

- Can you also post how much memory is free / used when all apps like the browser are closed? To see this open the Task Manager (touch & hold task bar for a menu, choose Task Manager, choose Performance. Look for "Memory", here's an example.

Would you please post the numbers next to "Memory"? (The numbers corresponding to 3.6/12.0GB (30%) in the pic below)

13221d1356050169t-upgraded-windows-8-insane-ram-cache-geglq.png?
    • Rear camera is quite bad in low light - lots of artifacts. being used to Android, I haven't figured how to switch to front.
    • Haven't the foggiest. Had a quick look for a test program but gave up, sorry.
    • 1 USB, 1 HDMI.
    Another thing to note is that text entry is strange after coming from Android. Haven't tried an external drive yet as I can't find my mini USB adapter.

The video played fine at 720p and 1080p, considering my internet connection.

Here are some screenshots of the task manager and resource monitor. I installed Chrome and Picasa last night. I restarted before I took them to ensure there were no rogue processes left over from sleep mode. You can see that even though there is no foreground Chrome task, it is still using memory:

8qBtsd.png

8jkNjn.png

7yRPfA.png

5DrsVK.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I'd recommend IE on these tablets, Chrome is a bit of a piggy for low ram machines, and doesnt work as well in touch mode imo (at least didnt when I used it).

Memory wise, my own experience is that 1gb is pretty tight, some applications have reported memory errors, but on the whole its fine for basic stuff. One thing to keep in mind is that the tablet can page to the eMMC instead of a slow hard disk, I think this has a fairly impressive effect on performance on these machines that will be doing a lot of paging.

For charging, I have had great success with this powered usb HUB on a linx 7". It seems to return power to the source machine (!), but in the case of a tablet this is perfect.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ICZL3KG/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1422099356&sr=1&keywords=usb+hub

Thank you very much Gulliver. This is exactly the info I wanted.

There's ample RAM left for powerpoint, documents & e-reading. and for browsing the eMMC would handle any overspill with SSD-like speeds, as imitation noted.

Thanks again, I'm going to pick one up.

The video played fine at 720p and 1080p, considering my internet connection.

Here are some screenshots of the task manager and resource monitor. I installed Chrome and Picasa last night. I restarted before I took them to ensure there were no rogue processes left over from sleep mode. You can see that even though there is no foreground Chrome task, it is still using memory:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Thanks again, I'm going to pick one up.

Be sure to post if reality lives up to expectations, please! Thanks.

Great little tablet for the money. Can't fault it yet.

Can anyone recommend a case/keyboard that would work with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I have a Linx8 and it's a great tablet. The only problem is battery power. Whenever I go to pick it up after not using it for a while it's completely drained. I'm wondering will this have the same issue?! I tend to leave the linx on charge while not using it.

Does this tablet have the micro-HDMI output like the linx? Would be nice to see some boardsies' pics.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I got one in limerick last night :) happy out havent had time to play with it yet.
    Screen is excellent much better than a samsung tab 3 i have.

@astrofluff It has micro hdmi and one otg usb port

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

I got one yesterday, nice and light, responds well, nice screen.

But I've seen that the casing along one of the long and short edges is slightly warped. On the long edge, the outer touch screen must be slightly detached from the main casing, as I can hear a click when gently press it in the area where the worst of the warp is. I can only see problems later down the line, dust getting in, or cracking of the outer touchscreen if it's not sitting snugly where it should be.

no issues with mine, actually picked up one for the OH and she's delighted.
    I'd bring it back, I'm sure there won't be an issue exchanging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Have one of these reserved, I'll be killed! Thinking this will get the free windows 10 update announced recently.

Have the Bluetooth keyboard from the Pokémon DS game last year and the €5 acme wireless mouse too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I use the pokemon keyboard with my linx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I bought one of these to replace my Android tablet and while it does what it supposed to do I find it difficult to navigate. For instance, how do you replicate the right click? I downloaded Kodi and while, when I can get it to work, it works well it's a bit of a pain to navigate through the menus. I've no doubt that this is because I'm so used to Android and I'm a bit clumsy but definitely don't find it user friendly or intuitive. Has anybody managed to put Showbox on it, if so a tutorial would be appreciated.

Touch and hold = right click

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I bought one of these to replace my Android tablet and while it does what it supposed to do I find it difficult to navigate. For instance, how do you replicate the right click? I downloaded Kodi and while, when I can get it to work, it works well it's a bit of a pain to navigate through the menus. I've no doubt that this is because I'm so used to Android and I'm a bit clumsy but definitely don't find it user friendly or intuitive. Has anybody managed to put Showbox on it, if so a tutorial would be appreciated.

Take a look at the kodi skin designed for touchscreens. Makes it easier to navigate imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Marhay70 wrote: »
    how do you replicate the right click?

Touch your selection and keep pressed for a few seconds. Right mouse click menu opens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Between this and the linx 8, their sizing are very similar so I'd be happy to hear if anyone gets a decent fitting cover for it?!

Mytablet: Size H215mm, W123mm, 8.6mm thin.
    Linx 8: Size H215mm, W125mm, 9mm thin

Obviously I'm interested in for a linx 8.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

astrofluff wrote: »
    Between this and the linx 8, their sizing are very similar so I'd be happy to hear if anyone gets a decent fitting cover for it?!

Mytablet: Size H215mm, W123mm, 8.6mm thin.
    Linx 8: Size H215mm, W125mm, 9mm thin

Obviously I'm interested in for a linx 8.

Had a Linx8 since Christmas and find it great.
    Bought this case/keyboard from Amazon and haven't had any issues with it so far.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EUCMZXY/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13NH30Z3MD8G8

SteM wrote: »
    Take a look at the kodi skin designed for touchscreens. Makes it easier to navigate imo.

Thanks SteM, that makes it a whole lot easier. I don't suppose you managed to get Showbox on it, all the download links I've seen for it seem a bit iffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That case is about 25% of what I paid for it! Got a generic case on ebay, 4 pounds

I thought the only way to get showbox working on it was through an android emulator? Didn't think there was a native Windows app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

TheDriver wrote: »
    That case is about 25% of what I paid for it! Got a generic case on ebay, 4 pounds

Any link to your case cherers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

I got one of these and fairly happy with it, however, this has wireless N yet it can't seem to pick up the 5ghz signal. only ever getting Max of 25mb on a 240mb broadband 2.4ghz. Phone laptop etc all great on the WiFi but not this. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I got one of these and fairly happy with it, however, this has wireless N yet it can't seem to pick up the 5ghz signal. only ever getting Max of 25mb on a 240mb broadband 2.4ghz. Phone laptop etc all great on the WiFi but not this. Does anyone else have this problem?

Its only single band- according to the specs.
    Is the wifi integrated does anyone know- or is it the likes of a mini-pci card that can be changed for another one?
    Hopefully its the latter- I'm a big fan of using the 5Ghz band- 2.4Ghz is remarkably over-crowded where I live.......

SteM wrote: »
    I thought the only way to get showbox working on it was through an android emulator? Didn't think there was a native Windows app.
    You could be right. As I said, I've seen a few links for Windows but they all looked a bit iffy.

Just playing with mine - some issues I came across:

Any idea where I can find any drivers for its hardware in case I want reinstall OS? It's easy to find drivers for Linx tablets (people share it through dropbox)? Online support link point to Argos UK site?

Is it really 2 year warranty as it states in warranty leaflet? I hope argos.ie will honour it?

Lags from blutooth mouse - I try to save usb port and reactivate my old bluetooth mouse Logitech V470. Most of the time it's OK, but every few minutes it catches terrible lags and makes almost impossible to work with it.

I went into Argos last weekend to buy the MyTablet, but noticed an Acer Windows tablet with the same specs for 30 Euros more, so I bought the Acer instead. Argos started the 20 Euro voucher offer a day after I bought it... talk about timing! Nonetheless, I think the price/performance ratio for this tablet is amazing for the price I paid.

The first thing I did was uninstall McAfee & the zillion or so Acer apps, activate the 1-year Office license, and install Firefox & VLC. On a fresh start-up the RAM now averages around 510 MB, around half the installed capacity.

Browsing with Firefox + AdBlock + NoScript is fast but the interface was just not tablet friendly. When I tried Internet Explorer, I was prompted to switch to the tablet version of IE, I found it supports pinch zooming, and gesture navigation. I find switching tabs on tablet IE much easier than FF/Chrome on Android.

I played a 1080p video which rendered as 720p on the 1280x800 screen with no stutter. I then played 2 videos simultaneously on a tech review website and Youtube while browsing the news on CNN. The four CPU cores were over 60% but did not max out, the RAM was maxed out though, which meant it was using the eMMC. There was a second or so of lag when switching tabs during this test, but I was looking for possible glitches, and it did not get in the way of my browsing experience. I could scroll through the news while the videos were playing with no lag.

I found the keyboard layout was really good. Coming from an Android tablet & phone, I'm always correcting words while typing but I rarely did this on the Windows tablet.

Battery life is around 6-7 hours, with wi-fi on, constant browsing & reading.

I did not realize that the Acer has no HDMI port when buying it. So if you're looking for an HDMI port, get the Bush MyTablet instead.

The Acer does have wireless display (Wi-Di) connectivity - my TV shows up as a supported display and I can extend or mirror displays wirelessly:

- When mirroring displays, the tablet drives the TV at 1280 x 720, which I found odd as the tablet has a 1280 x 800 screen.
    - When extending displays, the tablet drives the TV at 1920 x 1080 and the tablet itself is at 1280 x 720.

One drawback of mirroring is that Windows Store apps, including the touch version of IE, don't work at the lower 720 resolution. In practical terms, this means I could not view the browser on the TV screen while using the tablet's touch screen.

Would the Bush MyTablet owners, please post if you have similar issues using Windows Store Apps on a mirrored display?

On the whole, I'm impressed with having a full Windows PC experience on this tablet and would recommend it.

Be sure to post if reality lives up to expectations, please! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

I went into Argos last weekend to buy the MyTablet, but noticed an Acer Windows tablet with the same specs for 30 Euros more, so I bought the Acer instead.

Is it this one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement