Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Rent with Cats :(

Options
  • 22-01-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking to find a place to rent which will accept pets.
    I have 2 cats which we keep indoors.
    Why can't I find anywhere to rent?
    Does anyone have any helpful advice?
    It seems all property companies just have a blanket "no pets no matter what" approach.
    I'm in Cork btw
    I'm at my wits end :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

it will not be easy to find somewhere.

I rented a while back with a dog .. dog was a large dog who slept indoors. My approach was to use estate agents / letting agents and be upfront about it. I offered Land Lords an additional months deposit as security against damage the pet may cause or any requirement for additional deep cleaning by the LL after we left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This nice little place accepts pets! Click click...

There was a thread on this recently if you do a search. Many people just don't mention the pets and move in anyway with the pets, which is a pretty stupid idea. I do know a lot of people that do it and get away with it, but not the right thing to do. Offering a "pet damage" deposit is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP good luck. I have always managed to find somewhere that will accept my cats and dogs. Are you city or rural? I am rural and it is maybe easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Update, ok I completely stopped looking at any places that were managed by a Property company, so only looking on Daft.ie for places that were being rented by individuals directly, managed to get a viewing shortly afterwards and decided to take the place and they were ok with Cats.

So YAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!

moral of the story is only bother looking at places that you can rent off individuals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When we first moved to Ireland, we had to find somewhere to take us and our cat and found that despite the letting agents specifying no pets, the owners themselves actually had no problem with it and hadn't actually specified 'no pets' themselves, the letting agency had just put it in off heir own bat. The owners themselves actually had two dogs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Excellent news!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Alun wrote: »
    When we first moved to Ireland, we had to find somewhere to take us and our cat and found that despite the letting agents specifying no pets, the owners themselves actually had no problem with it and hadn't actually specified 'no pets' themselves, the letting agency had just put it in off heir own bat. The owners themselves actually had two dogs!

It's probably "unless otherwise stated, just say no pets" approach.
    I'd imagine it goes like this?

Property Devil Employee: What Price do you want?
    Landlord: €1,000
    Property Devil Employee: Ok that's fine. Will you accept pets?
    Landlord: Um well i dunno, does it make it easier to find a tenant?
    Property Devil Employee: Not in the slightest
    Landlord: Would I have to lower the rent if I don't accept pets?
    Property Devil Employee: Hell no.
    Landlord:Could I raise the rent if I choose t accept pets?
    Property Devil Employee: Probably, if they have money to feed animals, let's make more of that money yours

In essence I can see no benefit to "allowing" pets if I was a landlord renting so kind of glad the lovely lady we met was able to be one over by my "we primarily keep them in the kitchen and bedroom and ban them from the front room" spiel (which is true) and said we were a lovely young couple :)

Advertisement