Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family tent

Options
  • 22-01-2015 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a suitable tent for a family of 5 (2 adults & 3 kids under 10). After a LOT of research on different brands, models, pitch times, weight, hydrostatic heads, price, etc I have managed to whittle it down to the following two:

http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/vango-stanford-800-tent.html
    http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/vango-langley-600-tent.html

I like porch and living space of the Langley with the option of the larger side awning but prefer the bedroom layout of the Stanford which could prove more versatile if we ever have additional guests (grandparents) bunking in.

Both have a total (tent-only) area of approx. 21 square metres but wondering what opinions are re. living space versus sleeping space. I suspect the larger living space of the Langley will be invaluable when stuck inside with the kids on those days when it (gasps) rains.

Thoughts appreciated.
    NT

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Go for the better living space in evenings and bad weather days. There's zero chance of grandparents coming camping with sleeping bags, mats and no ensuite ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

Hi I was wondering did you get either tent? I'm in the same boat 3 kids. I'm looking at tents now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I went for an Outwell Hartford XL.
    When I got mine, there was no extension for the porch or I wasn't aware of.

Is BIG, ok for the back of the car.
    Takes around 30 minutes to own hour 2 adults to put it up.
    Each child has his "own" apartment with a bigger for adults.

Is perfect to stay inside when outside is raining and with the porch, you can have it "all-in" if weather is not with you.
    Kitchen side, under the porch.
    Play games and others inside, perfect...
    Kids having their own area, they can "master it" as they wish, leaving you alone...
    Also, no clothes, books, games in the common shared area either...

There are few on ebay here
    .... here

There was a seller with brand new listed stock !

Have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

Thanks for the response. That looks like what I'm looking for. How does it hold up in the rain? It's a first year camping as a family so I want to make sure everyone enjoys themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Outwell are a great brand and the Hartford XL looks great but personally I'd be a bit concerned about the size of that footprint. Yikes :eek:

Think we're going to go with the Vango Langley for the living space, the front porch and the option to get the larger canopy extension if we decide this camping lark is worth it. I noticed that Argos are doing the Vango Avington which is almost identical to the Langley except it doesn't have the 'hood' over the side door.

• Advertisement
Advertisement