Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottles of coppers, to charity?

• 22-01-2015 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi,

I've collected a load of one and two sent coins over the years - a few kgs worth I suppose - now filling two plastic bottles.

Anywhere in Dublin city centre - charities and the likes - that I can easily drop them off? Like somewhere with a big coin bucket or something?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Send them to me op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mcbert wrote: »
    Hi,

I've collected a load of one and two sent coins over the years - a few kgs worth I suppose - now filling two plastic bottles.

Anywhere in Dublin city centre - charities and the likes - that I can easily drop them off? Like somewhere with a big coin bucket or something?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Why not bag the coins; change for notes in your bank/credit union and donate the notes then to varying charities :)

That's my suggestion,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Ya, but don't have much time spare at lunch time. I just want to drop them off somewhere, take literally 1-2min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mcbert wrote: »
    Ya, but don't have much time spare at lunch time. I just want to drop them off somewhere, take literally 1-2min.

Their is no panic/rush with them today. Think it would be nice for them to not have to count bottles of coppers and a much nicer gesture to receive notes as donations though.
    Take your time over the next while; you can get the bags in your local bank/credit union.
    Just my thoughts anywhoo,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I'm a big fan of the Capuchin Day Centre in Bowe Street (At the back of Church Street.

http://www.capuchindaycentre.ie/Capuchin_Day_Centre_2013/Capuchin_Day_Centre_for_Homeless_People.html

I'm sure they would find good use for your coppers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I know someone who just brought all his coins into his local bank to donate them to charity with no need to sort them.

I guess it might have been this: http://www.todayfm.com/Change-for-Charity--dig-out-your-1c-and-2c-coins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Tesco. Self service checkouts. Bag of groceries. Off peak hour. Sorted.

Aenaes wrote: »
    I know someone who just brought all his coins into his local bank to donate them to charity with no need to sort them.

I guess it might have been this: http://www.todayfm.com/Change-for-Charity--dig-out-your-1c-and-2c-coins

Great. Thanks. I think this is what I'm looking for.

Or else 'Capuchin Day Centre'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Send them to me OP. I will count, bag, and change it for paper. Then send it to the charity of your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

SeanW wrote: »
    Tesco. Self service checkouts. Bag of groceries. Off peak hour. Sorted.

Some tescos have wised to this. My local used to have a coin cup so you could drop a handfill in at a time, its now been replaced by a slot.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 johnkava

Hey Op,
    There's change for charity which have a load of locations you can drop them off to & they go to various charities
    changeforcharity.ie for details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

I saw some charity bins for change in my local BoI. So maybe they are in a lot of banks. I don't remember the name of the charity.

Edited to add:
    Ronnie O’Toole from the Central Bank told the press “There’s a number of charities out there who will happily accept them,” he said. “The change for charity campaign have got coin acceptance points in AIB, Bank of Ireland, Penneys, Supervalu and a number of other retailers – they just launched a couple of months ago.” “They’d be delighted to get any coins that you have and put them to good use – they’ve got some excellent charities they’re supporting.”
    Must have been this, as previous poster said.

Yep, got it. Thanks. I'll go with one of the changeforcharity.ie locations - a bank or some such.

Weighed the two bottles last night - 5.7kg between them. So could well be 50 euro in them... Woo.

Advertisement