Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance or training grant if studying on Springboard away from home?

• 22-01-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, I'm just wondering, I may be able to do a Springboard course at an IT, it's an IT at the complete opposite end of the country however. We live in a council house, a nice new build in a great area. Very, very lucky to get it. The thought of spending nights in a dingy cold damp bedsit don't fill me joy but at least if it came to it it would be short term. I would have to spend 3 nights a week living in the town where the course is run. Then I'd return home for the rest of the week, then back up there and so on, week after week, month after month. The course looks good, interesting and who knows, possibly a potential career. Beats being on SW.

Thing is, can I apply for Rent Allowance if I already have a home elsewhere? Or is there some training grant you can apply for via Springboard if you are doing a course away from where you live? I think FAS used to have such a provision before, almost certain of it in fact. Anyway, what should I do if I couldn't meet the cost of renting up there from our basic SW payment? Any options I wonder? Or is it tough luck? If it is, then it is, but that'll mean I potentially miss an opportunity to get off SW. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 raspberrypie

Oh well. Phoned SW,they didn't know. Phoned Springboard, their number stopped working in 2014. Phoned a CWO in the town where the course is, nope, not entitled to rent allowance. I was correct about FAS though, they used to offer an accommodation allowance on top of your FAS payment, Springboard don't it seems.

Advertisement