Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to Fly Russia, Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, the Gulf states and Egypt.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Another Ryanair non story. Are the media that stuck for a story that they turn up fit something that 'could' happen?? I could fly to the moon in a cardboard box!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

easyjet is reducing Moscow service from March, didn't go as planned and EU sanctions didn't help either, FR would be crazy to start a service in that market, so yeah, +1 to what Preset No 3 said..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

From the article: (my emphasis in bold)
    Speaking at a press conference updating the media on its fleet, the Ryanair boss said new destinations could be added in Russia, Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, the Gulf states and Egypt.......
    ......The airline will have a fleet of 308 aircraft this year. Its fleet will grow to 420 by 2019 and as many as 520 by the year 2024.

So approx 150 B737-800 aircraft to be delivered in the next 4-5 years (assuming a few disposals too)
    The B737-9MAX-200 deliveries are due to start in 2019. (I think they have 200 in total on order?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

FR want marketing support to operate Ireland-Russia something they are not being given. Nothing stopping them flying to Russia now.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    FR want marketing support to operate Ireland-Russia something they are not being given. Nothing stopping them flying to Russia now.

how about lack of pax? There's practically no Russian diaspora in Ireland, Russia is not on the top of the holiday destination list, business ties are practically non-existing, and as I hear, the middle-class in Russia is pretty badly hit so they're not going anywhere themselves anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

martinsvi wrote: »
    how about lack of pax? There's practically no Russian diaspora in Ireland, Russia is not on the top of the holiday destination list, business ties are practically non-existing, and as I hear, the middle-class in Russia is pretty badly hit so they're not going anywhere themselves anytime soon

Of course it's part of the problem but they want to be paid to fly the route. It works across Europe from them but not here. S7 don't receive funding for a route while only once weekly peak season they can make money on it.

Demand will never be high even in a few years and FR will unlikely every fly it from Dublin commercially. As already said FR have nothing new to announce so they turnout old news stories every couple of months.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    As already said FR have nothing new to announce so they turnout old news stories every couple of months.

that reminds me... isn't it time for the bi-annual Ryanair Atlantic "news" story?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I've been to Russia and I would like to go again.

However, the incredible bureaucracy required to get a visa makes it unlikely that I'll be heading back there in the near future.

The only way a Dublin/St Petersburg route would succeed IMHO would be with a liberalisation of visa restrictions.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ryanair already have a Russian airport... its called Lappeenranta. (passengers using it are majority Russian). Must be badly hit with the ruble though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Why Ireland-Russia and not Stansted-Russia? Would they have to jump through hoops considering EZY have a license for it already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I also think we're someway off a FR route to Russia. There would need to be a total normalisation of relations between Europe and Russia and of course a relaxing of the archaic visa restrictions. In this scenario, I think there would be a far greater appetite to business and tourism ties to develop between Europe and Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I also think we're someway off a FR route to Russia. There would need to be a total normalisation of relations between Europe and Russia and of course a relaxing of the archaic visa restrictions. In this scenario, I think there would be a far greater appetite to business and tourism ties to develop between Europe and Russia.

You're probably right in fairness. It's a shame in one way because Moscow and St. Petersburg are incredible cities that never seem to enter the consciousness of the Irish.

The funny thing is, I don't think it would take much to develop the market. Even with the ongoing conflict.

fr336 wrote: »
    Why Ireland-Russia and not Stansted-Russia? Would they have to jump through hoops considering EZY have a license for it already?

UK-Russia bi-lateral only allows 2 airlines....used to be BA/bmi.....now it is BA/Easyjet.
    Noxegon wrote: »
    I've been to Russia and I would like to go again.

However, the incredible bureaucracy required to get a visa makes it unlikely that I'll be heading back there in the near future.

The only way a Dublin/St Petersburg route would succeed IMHO would be with a liberalisation of visa restrictions.
    I remember a few years back there was an Ireland-Russia football match. Mates of mine were operating the EI flight to Moscow (can't remember which airport) They weren't allowed to nightstop, had to drop off pax then positon to Vilinius (I believe) for their nightstop. Next day, Vilnius-Moscow-Dublin.

To me this is indicative of the bureaucracy surrounding Russian visa's, considering that in most countries aircrew are a lot easier to get visa's for

<offtopic> word on the street- Ryanair just had a massive fuel leak in Manchester airport, don't have the details but appron covered in sand, people report huge mess, appearantly that was a flight sheduled to Riga </offtopic>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Tenger wrote: »
    I remember a few years back there was an Ireland-Russia football match. Mates of mine were operating the EI flight to Moscow (can't remember which airport) They weren't allowed to nightstop, had to drop off pax then positon to Vilinius (I believe) for their nightstop. Next day, Vilnius-Moscow-Dublin.

To me this is indicative of the bureaucracy surrounding Russian visa's, considering that in most countries aircrew are a lot easier to get visa's for

The mind boggles when you hear of stuff like this. I was listening to something about Russia there last week, something about their(I guess "their" was referring to their government) attitude toward co-operation between nations. Whereas most western countries see co-operation between countries as a good thing in terms of economic development, Russia never see's it like this. Explains their relative isolation from a huge market of nearly 500 million right next to them in Europe.

*This would have been September 2011 by the way, a heroic performance from Richard Dunne! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

<offtopic> word on the street- Ryanair just had a massive fuel leak in Manchester airport, don't have the details but appron covered in sand, people report huge mess, appearantly that was a flight sheduled to Riga </offtopic>

It left MAN 1hr 45mins late, could be for any reason though

<offtopic> word on the street- Ryanair just had a massive fuel leak in Manchester airport, don't have the details but apron covered in sand, people report huge mess, apparently that was a flight scheduled to Riga </offtopic>
    As always, beware of Twitter and the drama driven 24 hr news culture*

And a "massive fuel leak with the ramp covered in sand" could be viewed as a "within limits fuel leak, treated as per SOPs" by an aviation insider.

*Where you affected by this fuel leak? Did you know anyone on this plane? Do you know anyone in Manchester airport? Have you ever flown with RyanAir? Do you know anyone with an opinion on this story? Then text or call to give us your story!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

And a "massive fuel leak with the ramp covered in sand" could be viewed as a "within limits fuel leak, treated as per SOPs" by an aviation insider.

*Where you affected by this fuel leak? Did you know anyone on this plane? Do you know anyone in Manchester airport? Have you ever flown with RyanAir? Do you know anyone with an opinion on this story? Then text or call to give us your story!

Now now Tenger, I come to Boards to avoid this sort of Daily Mail journalism, I don't expect it from one of our finest mods

*gasp*, well I never!

see attached, not quite standard I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

*gasp*, well I never!

see attached, not quite standard I'm afraid

Looks to be a standard response to a fuel leak to me.

• Advertisement

Looks to be a standard response to a fuel leak to me.

it is. The leak it self is not, you don't see that every day

it is. The leak it self is not, you don't see that every day

True enough, an uncommon occurrence.

Didn't mean to cast aspersions on your info earlier....thought you had read it online rather than seeing it yourself.

True enough, an uncommon occurrence.

Didn't mean to cast aspersions on your info earlier....thought you had read it online rather than seeing it yourself.

I didn't see it myself, but I have eyes and ears everywhere, lol... like one of those Thai gods .. seriously thou heard it from a witness, I don't think it's been on media or even twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

that reminds me... isn't it time for the bi-annual Ryanair Atlantic "news" story?

Here you go http://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-fares-to-the-us-for-under-100-oleary-30933401.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think this whole story is another very thinly veiled 'Aer Lingus better join another airline with a strong long-haul presence'.

You can almost hear MOL in the background going 'cough BA cough'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Ryanair Atlantic "news" story

Update 30.2.01 ready for download.......

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-fares-to-the-us-for-under-100-oleary-30933401.html

sjb25 wrote: »
    tippman1 wrote: »

this is just getting too predictable to be funny... I'd say next one's due April

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I came here to mention what the above two posters just have
    He said it would aim to fly between 15 major European cities and 15 major US cities.

"If we wanted to get into the pan-European transatlantic market, then starting in Dublin would be the wrong place to start. It's a tiny market," he said. "We'll need something in the order of 30-50 aircraft," said Mr O'Leary, adding that a long-haul service was at least five years away.

Isnt traffic to the US from Dublin to 7th highest in Europe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Isn't about time we had the usual wave of non A&A regulars in here to post about how great Ryanair is and say they can't wait to fly to the US for made up magical fares that only gullible people believe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I came here to mention what the above two posters just have

Isnt traffic to the US from Dublin to 7th highest in Europe?

Yes but a lot of it is transfer passengers which would be of little use to Ryanair. Not that it will ever happen anyway, MOL seems to have moved away from his standing in planes and removal of toilet yarns but he seems to stick with this one to generate free publicity. Or maybe the gullible Irish media just keep asking him about it.

Advertisement