Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after card details stolen?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I've received a call from Visa security from Bank of Ireland to enquire about suspicious transactions that occurred last night on my account. So it turns out that my details must have been stolen, the transactions were not made by me. So they've cancelled the card and are sending me a new one. But now I sitting here freaked out as to how this happened and what I should do now? Change all my passwords online accounts? I feel sick!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi deeheethree, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie.

We are very sorry to hear that you were a recent victim of Fraud and we can certainly understand your concerns over security for the future. 

The first step, which you have already taken, is to cancel the card immediately. We're happy to hear that our 24 dedicated Fraud monitoring team have been in contact and taken this action for you. While it may not be possible to confirm why this happened there are several steps which you can take to protect yourself from Fraud going forward.

We would always advise to keep your Anti-Virus software up to date, and be conscious of suspicious emails and attachments. If creating a password ensure that it is a strong password and try not to use the same one for every site. And most importantly be informed. 

That's where we come in. Security to our customers is of the utmost importance and we have extensive information here on our website which may help you understand what has happened and explain how to prevent this in the future. 

If you would like further advise on your particular situation, please feel free to contact our Customer Service team on 0818 251 251 and a representative will be more than happy to assist you. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Hi Dee,

This happened to me recently although with a different bank. I suggest contacting your bank and asking them had your verified by visa password been used? This will tell you that the fraud happened online rather than an clonned card in a shop.

I ran virsus scans on my computers/phone/tablets etc. I changed my passwords on everything. Ensure that your verified by visa password is not remotely like any other password you have and try not to use words that appear in the dictionery with it.

Hope the above helps, it really is a horrible feeling and is very upsetting. I am still very nervous using my card online.

Advertisement