Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infracted for posting about a forbidden topic

Options
  • 22-01-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I would like an admin to review an infraction I received recently, which I believe is totally unwarranted.

It was issued for a post in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057359874
    (I can't link to the exact post, because it was deleted.)

The warning it was for "posting about a forbidden topic", and the comment with it said received said that I had made derogatory comments about travellers.

However my post simply said that members of the Travelling Community are skilled in the issue being discussed - and in a later post noted that they have particular knowledge and skills, but also sometimes provide a good example of the social issues that can be associated with people having inadequate living space. Which is a good deal more polite than many of the times MOTC are referenced in the Accommodation and Property forum (eg http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056741274)

I PM'd the moderator concerned, cc one of the CMODS for the forum, on Saturday asking for an explanation of how exactly my comments were derogatory, but have not received any reply.

I am happy for you to examine all PMs associated with this.

Regards
    Mrs O'Bumble

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've given the cmods a nudge as this appears to have not been spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Sorry for the delay.
    Are you happy for me to pick this up considering I am the catmod you cc'd initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi Mrs OBumble.

Again sorry for not getting to this sooner.

I have discussed this with the mod team quite a bit today and have reviewed some PM exchanges over the last while.
    At heart, this should have been a simple DRF. Yes your post did cross the line, but no generally it would not have resulted in an Infraction. It may normally have resulted in a Warning or for a newbie a slap on the wrist on thread. So at first glance it may normally have been reversed out of the box by the mods via the PM exchange which you attempted with the mod.

However, your history in the forum is now having an impact on how your posts are moderated. While the forum is not overly strict in it's moderation the mods have reached a point where they feel PM's and Warnings are no longer cutting it with you. Some of these exchanges have been sent on to me and to cut to the chase they basically ask you to be less abrasive or to quote one PM "less disruptive" in how you participate in the forum.

Your deleted post was effectively the straw that has broken the collective camels back. There is no need or benefit in my listing out your previous mod warnings but at this point the team have reached a point where they feel they have no choice but to escalate how they respond to your posts. In this instance it was an infraction, however going forwards the standard escalation is that a ban may be the next response.

I can see from one of the PM exchanges that you feel that you are participating just as you do in other fora, however from the perspective of the mods in A&P that method of posting is creating too much overhead, in the same way that a poster soapboxing does if you get the analogy. While how you post may be totally acceptable elsewhere the mod team here are telling you that you need to tone it down, as the level of moderation is too high, especially for volunteers. Don't get me wrong, they all agree that when you post in a less disruptive fashion your contributions are more than welcome, it is these disruptive or off the cuff posts that really are not acceptable.

So the infraction stands, with a note that unless you change how you contribute you will soon earn yourself a ban from the forum.

As you know you can request an admin review now if you wish to challenge this?

Thanks
    Taltos

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Taltos wrote: »
    As you know you can request an admin review now if you wish to challenge this?
    That won't be necessary.

I agree 100% with what Taltos has said above. Mrs O'B, your first post in that thread was pointless (unless the point was have a snigger at travelers). Even without your history in the A&P forum, that might have been a card. With your history - you're lucky that's all it was.

Card upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement