Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of running new gas supply to house

Options
  • 22-01-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭

Looking at a property, gas supply in estate but not to house. Any idea of a ballpark figure of costs to run the supply and get connected up? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ryanjcdub

degsie wrote: »
    Looking at a property, gas supply in estate but not to house. Any idea of a ballpark figure of costs to run the supply and get connected up? Thanks.

€250 for up to 15 metres, for every metre after that its about €51, depends on how far they have to dig the trench. The €250 is just to bring the supply to the house you'll have to get your own gas installer to connect it up after that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

ryanjcdub wrote: »
    €250 for up to 15 metres, for every metre after that its about €51, depends on how far they have to dig the trench.....

forgot about that bit, they'll charge a good bit less for every metre over 15metres if you prepare the trench yourself

Every meter over 15m (preparing own trench) €10.97 per meter (VAT inclusive)

http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/Your-Meter/Move-your-meter/Self-Trenching-Guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

gctest50 wrote: »
    forgot about that bit, they'll charge a good bit less for every metre over 15metres if you prepare the trench yourself

Gas supply on my Street stops two doors up from me, very small terraced houses, so only about 15 feet from my front door. The mains supply is on the road 2 feet from the kerb, and I have been told that gas networks Ireland may charge me more than rate for this connection, because they have to connect into the mains supply, and dig up part of the footpath and our street. money being talked about is in the thousands, as opposed to 280 Euro for the advertised connection rate for this distance. Does gas networks Ireland have any statutory obligation to connect properties at the standard rate once they are within the specified distance of the mains gas supply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Can I just say always seek a second opinion. We were told we would have to do a new pipe to our house around the side because the gas fire was playing up and the boiler needed a new pipe. Seemed questionable at the time. It was going to cost a fortune until my parent's friend came by and looked at it. Biggest scam ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Elemonator wrote: »
    Can I just say always seek a second opinion. We were told we would have to do a new pipe to our house around the side because the gas fire was playing up and the boiler needed a new pipe. Seemed questionable at the time. It was going to cost a fortune until my parent's friend came by and looked at it. Biggest scam ever.

Can I ask: was your friend a plumber / engineer / qualified to give an expert opinion - in order to convince Gas Networks Ireland? who should I call on to provide the second opinion?

I have already asked my builder how the connections are made to the mains: is each house plumbed the length of the street and directly into the main pipe, or is there a "feeder" pipe off the mains supply that runs under the footpath and to which individual houses are then connected - and he couldn't tell me, so need someone who knows how the physical network for the gas supply is generally installed.

I have been told by GNI that they "can" only connect my house if they run the mains past my house and on to the remaining 2 houses on the street, even though these houses have not requested a connection (the houses are tiny, so that means running pipes for maximum 15 meters from mains all the way to reach the furthest house).

Advertisement