Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC DNS error

• 22-01-2015 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Our UPC router has recently been cutting out during general usage and gaming. Windows 7 registers 'limited access.' Resetting the router reproducibly solves the issue, the problem is that we have to do this several times a day and this doesn't agree with our gaming habits! The router is a thomson 870.

We recently had UPC replace the router twice and a fair bit of our wiring too and we have the same problem. Since we can rule out the router as the cause and they tested our line (and found no issues when the engineer tested) we are at a loose end. This seems to happen mostly in the evenings.

As an aside I noticed that when this happens, downloading seems to cutout after uploading e.g. I will not be able to request new data but data I have already requested will continue to come through. I noticed this using mumble where people would stop hearing me before I would stop hearing them by about 10 seconds. Windows suggests a DNS error but the problem persists even when we select google DNS. For the record, when it goes down like this, it affects all the devices in the house simultaneously (phones, tablets, PCs).

Thanks for any help offered. UPC repeatedly tell me there is no issue so I unless I can resolve this myself I'll change ISP soon (I don't want to though, it worked great for a year and a half before out current issues).

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The issue is probably on upcs network. I experienced this a few times but it went away after a week or so. Keep complaining to them.

Advertisement