Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the safest place to live in Sligo?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I know there are a few threads on the best places to live in Sligo but most of them are a few years old.

If any one can suggest a few safe, convenient areas to live in near Sligo town I would really appreciate it. Also what's it like to live there? Rough? Quiet? Nice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Delta7

Hi
    Strandhill Road area is lovely, safe and convenient for town.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

i'd say all of sligo is safe. some areas might be a bit rough around the edges but i wouldn't consider them "unsafe".

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Locked away in a steel cage in the barracks is your only chance, say a prayer while your at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No part of Sligo is unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭warriorpoet

Depends.... do you wanna be in town? Or are ya willing to go a couple of miles out?? Strandhill is fabulous.... though pricey enough to rent... I live in Ballisodare now and I love it.... very safe, convenient to town, and on the road home... to Galway! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

You can't say no part of Sligo is unsafe, there are certain areas in Sligo town where even the dogs go around in groups! If you drive then you have the choice of quite and cheaper houses in outlining villages and towns, I have friends who live in Coolaney and are quite happy where they live, cheap rent, quite and no hassle at all. Check on Daft.ie and see what's of offer.

The only drawback is the distance Coolaney is from Sligo town, if you don't mind a 25 minute commute then you are halfway there, 2 pubs, a grocery shop, butchers, chemist, GP surgery, petrol pumps, a lot of community activities for kids, it also sports a gem of a primary school, Chinese take-away, off licence, etc.

That's my rant over, Best of luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    You can't say no part of Sligo is unsafe, there are certain areas in Sligo town where even the dogs go around in groups! If you drive then you have the choice of quite and cheaper houses in outlining villages and towns, I have friends who live in Coolaney and are quite happy where they live, cheap rent, quite and no hassle at all. Check on Daft.ie and see what's of offer.

The only drawback is the distance Coolaney is from Sligo town, if you don't mind a 25 minute commute then you are halfway there, 2 pubs, a grocery shop, butchers, chemist, GP surgery, petrol pumps, a lot of community activities for kids, it also sports a gem of a primary school, Chinese take-away, off licence, etc.

That's my rant over, Best of luck :-)
    There are also parts of Sligo County which are not nice places to live. Certain parts of Ballymote and Collooney has problems I think? Hasn't Coolaney had problems too?

Personally I think living in town is the best way to go, majority of areas are safe and a lot more convenient. I would hate to live in Coolaney, way too isolated, unless you're used to living a village life.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

One area that has a terrible record when it comes to anti social behavior is Ballinode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

TBH you could buy a 15K House in Ballymote, put a few grand into it and stick a couple of German Shepards in the front lawn and you wont find a safer place than that anywhere in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

bennyc wrote: »
    TBH you could buy a 15K House in Ballymote, put a few grand into it and stick a couple of German Shepards in the front lawn and you wont find a safer place than that anywhere in the county.

You'd need to arm the dogs to the teeth in that estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

been living in sligo town for 20 years now and never felt unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

bennyc wrote: »
    Why is that house so incredibly cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Drag00n79 wrote: »
    Why is that house so incredibly cheap?
    The neighbours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

red sean wrote: »
    The neighbours ;)

I believe there are not that many neighbours to worry about anymore. It might be down to one or two houses. If you have a look at google maps streetview the estate is prob very new and no hassle then. It would paint a better picture of how that place may well look again in a few years time. The problem houses are apparlenty rented and not owned or social housing either afaik. Also most of the houses boarded up are owned by investors waiting on the dust to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

One area that has a terrible record when it comes to anti social behavior is Ballinode.

Some students have loud parties, esp during "rag" week, but I think your statement is exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Where is the safest place to live in Sligo?

Probably here....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

The only part of sligo that's dodgy is rathbraughan lots of break in other than that every other part of town is fine. Even cranmore has settled down a lot in the past 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Geuze wrote: »
    Some students have loud parties, esp during "rag" week, but I think your statement is exaggerated.

A quick google brings up the words mayhem and destruction, marauding out of-control and disgraceful. Check out the photo in this link http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=19296.

Advertisement