Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vectra or Avensis

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

So you wouldn't have a particular fear for the 407? How would you rate them? I think they're a good looking car was just worried about the reliability issues, a few threads on here had nothing good to say but they were talking about the 1.6 and mostly older versions circa 04-06. And theres the never buy a french car adage.

The never buy a French car adage is a load of nonsense generally. However, there are cars that conform to the stereotype for sure. Mid 00s Peugeots aren't the best put togethe for sure. The main problem with them really is that I just don't think the 407 is an especially nice car to travel in. Also, I wouldn't touch any car powered by the 1.6 HDi engine unless it's got a full and verifiable service history, which will be difficult in Ireland given our laissez faire attitude towards servicing let alone getting the book stamped etc...

Those engines are reliable so long as they've been serviced bang on time and with the correct grade oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

AMKC wrote: »
    Sounds like one of them would be worth checking. As its a Honda it will go forever and they are quite a very nice car and classy too.
    They are a nice car but those early diesel accords aren't as reliable as you would expect from Honda. Unlike the petrols the diesel version can give it's fair share of problems. Timing chains in particular are a common failure on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And as long as the OP is happy paying close to €1k per year in motor tax for the 2.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Independent1

Just curious OP as to what you went for in the end? I'm hoping to be on a similar hunt in the coming month or two so weighing up my options. This thread has been very informative.

Advertisement