Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken spoke

• 22-01-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Noticed earlier that I had a flat on my commuter (again) and was just repairing the tube and giving the bike a general look over, when I noticed that there is a broken spoke on the rear wheel (drive side). I did notice a noise on my last ride home, but couldn't place it above the traffic noise and ear covers of my hat so I'm guessing that's what it was now.
    Anyway, is there anything I need to be looking for before I take on replacing it? I've had a good look at the other spokes and they all look unscathed and tight. It's a Shimano R500 I've had about 4 years and done approx 8000Km on it in all weathers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

Noticed earlier that I had a flat on my commuter (again) and was just repairing the tube and giving the bike a general look over, when I noticed that there is a broken spoke on the rear wheel (drive side). I did notice a noise on my last ride home, but couldn't place it above the traffic noise and ear covers of my hat so I'm guessing that's what it was now.
    Anyway, is there anything I need to be looking for before I take on replacing it? I've had a good look at the other spokes and they all look unscathed and tight. It's a Shimano R500 I've had about 4 years and done approx 8000Km on it in all weathers.

You've done well to have got that many miles on those wheels and have just one broken spoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I had to replace a freehub on a r501 - not sure if it's the exact same spec at the r500. I found the shimano tech docs useful for identifying the part number and sourcing it (in my case, through wiggle).

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/ev/EV-WH-R501-30-R-3264B.pdf

Edit - the r501 uses 282mm spokes. I could not see any reason why something like this (assuming they're non-aero spokes)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/dt-swiss-revolution-db-black-spokes-18-pack/rp-prod91858

wouldn't work. Alternative is to pop into a decent LBS and see if they'll have an individual spoke or perhaps a set of 5 to have some spares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If you're interested I can give you a single black 278mm DT Swiss Competition spoke and matching nipple. Collect some evening in Rathmines.

It's the wrong size obviously but shorter may work whereas too long won't. Too long means that you won't be able to tension it as it'll bottom out, too short means that it won't have as many threads engaged as it is ideal but compared to a 282mm spoke you're talking about 4mm less engagement.

http://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/tech-threadengagement.php

If it's going to work then the difficult bit will probably be getting the first thread engaged so that you can start tightening. You can help that by over-tightening neighbouring spokes a bit to flatten that side of the wheel.

It's the sort of thing that I'd be inclined to try but I'm a bit of a mad tinkerer :)

You might find someone else here with a spare spoke of a more ideal length for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Oops, I see that the 282mm mentioned was for a R501 wheel.

The rear drive side of a R500 is 286mm according to here http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-wh-r500-rear-spoke-286mm-012-3z86-5-prod26820/ , which is also where you can buy a single spoke for it.

I'll make my previous offer but amend it to a free black 288mm DT Swiss competition spoke. That might work for you. It's 2mm too long but if they're all sensible and have the 286mm being to the bottom of the screw-driver slot then there's room for a 288mm spoke in there. With luck.

The fact that it's drive side and Shimano spec 286 for BOTH sides of the rear wheel would suggest to me that 286 is already at the long end of what they need (as drive side takes shorter spokes than non-drive) but it's free and it's the sort of things that I'd try :)

Or just order the one linked above.

[edit]If you'd like the spoke, collection from Rathmines, then PM me please, I may not notice a reply in this thread.[/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Thanks for the replies and info, that I'll keep for further use. Needed the bike for Monday's commute so took it to LBS. 26.50 CHF! Defo get some spares ordered and at least attempt to change them myself in future

Replacing the spoke is handy enough - I too found out the hard way when a bike shop charged me €20 to replace a damaged spoke. They made it sound like they had to rebuild the wheel, which I now know was bolløx.

I used a website previously to buy spare spokes - they sold them individually so with post and packing worked out about €10 to have a few spares in the shed just in case. Can't remember the site for the life of me.

the wheel will more than likely need trueing once the new spoke is fitted - Good video for trueing linked. Would suggest learning on an old wheel - buy a decent spoke key (the ones that come with some bike tools will wreck the nipple). It's a good skill to learn - about the only thing I wouldn't tackle on a bike until recently

http://youtu.be/bcZ1jjB_AdQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'll sort out a few spares online as everything is so expensive here! I'll also check out a few vids. Cheers

Advertisement