Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Academy like?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I'm going to a gig here in March never been it's not seated does it get really crowded do you queue early to get the best place, doors are at 7.30 sorry novice as gigs and concerts. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

miss choc wrote: »
    I'm going to a gig here in March never been it's not seated does it get really crowded do you queue early to get the best place, doors are at 7.30 sorry novice as gigs and concerts. :D

Really depends what gig youre going.to?

In can get quite crowded, but as a venue, personally at least, i think its top notch, quite intimate, never very far from the stage, with top notch sound..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Grand it might be busy as Clean Bandit tickets are sold out just hoping I dont get loads of tall people with the mobiles up in the air or people on each others shoulders I'm short :o and want to see the band thats why I thought if I go early I could nab the best place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Get in early and you could stand behind the sound desk on the higher floor in front of the bar, should be a decent view though sound might be slightly dampened by the ceiling being overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

its an awful venue, no hiding it. has been going downhill for years because of it. Dublin has kicked on with lots of decent venues now.
    its wide open and the bar is a straight line at the back. if u like the band you'll be fine but for a rave now its the worst venue in the city.
    enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

its an awful venue, no hiding it. has been going downhill for years because of it. Dublin has kicked on with lots of decent venues now.
    its wide open and the bar is a straight line at the back. if u like the band you'll be fine but for a rave now its the worst venue in the city.
    enjoy

It's primarily a venue for bands. It's very good as a venue for bands. Most raves are held in a shed in a field and you think the Academy is a poor venue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've found the sound in the Academy to be poor more than once. Was brutal for Mastodon back in November. God is an Astronaut played there and Vicar Street within 6/7 months of each other and the sound quality was far superior in Vicar Street and made for a much better show.

It's a nice venue in terms of intimacy, but I wouldn't depend on it to provide good quality sound.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I can't say the Academy is one of my favourite venues around.

I was there for Mark Lanegan last Saturday and whilst as previously stated, the intimacy in terms of view is good, the sounds was absolutely diabolical! I'm sure this was just down to the sound engineer having a pathetically bad night, as I've seen other gigs there which were pretty good sound wise.

The venue can get horribly over crowded at sold out shows. I would recommend getting in early and trying to get a good vantage spot or hanging back at the bar area, which is on a higher platform. Although the downside of being at the bar is you'll hear endless yapping! The best outcome of all would be to get in early and ask if you could go upstairs and watch from the balconey, if your in early, you should have no problem getting a good place on the rail.

The door staff are also very strict!

Overall it's a so so venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yeah at Throwing Muses the sound was awful, though I think that's the only gig I've been to there with bad sound.

Advertisement