Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throttling certain sites?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I download a lot from rapidgator but the last 2 months the connection to the site in the evenings is absolutely awful. My speed drops from 40mb (ish) to about 2mb.

When the connection is like this i can run speed tests but of course they say its all fine. 
    I can download test files from other sites and the speed is fine.

if i try the same scenario from multiple devices its the same.

I also connect up to my neighbours broadband when my connection was awful and the connection was flying full speed on their internet.

So i have rules out a device issue and also a rapidgator issue. The problem lies with Eircom killing my speed to this one specific site. 

Can you please sort this out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

goodlad wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I download a lot from rapidgator but the last 2 months the connection to the site in the evenings is absolutely awful. My speed drops from 40mb (ish) to about 2mb.

When the connection is like this i can run speed tests but of course they say its all fine. 
    I can download test files from other sites and the speed is fine.

if i try the same scenario from multiple devices its the same.

I also connect up to my neighbours broadband when my connection was awful and the connection was flying full speed on their internet.

So i have rules out a device issue and also a rapidgator issue. The problem lies with Eircom killing my speed to this one specific site. 

Can you please sort this out?

Hi goodlad

I can confirm that while throttling is not performed by eircom the symptoms experienced in international routing issues & delays to some servers will indeed resemble that of throttling.

Issues with pings and latency to some international servers have been reported here and on eircoms community forum and a lot has been done to improve things however further improvements are indeed required and works are set to continue.

I would also like to assure you that I have added your feedback in my reports to operations to aid the awareness of such issues.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Totally missed this reply. Thanks for the information.
    Although if this is the case then why would me connecting to my neighbours Eircom give full speed when mine doesnt?

Its not like both our connections have different routes to the same servers when we connect at the same time.
    Its literally every evening my connection is killed so i hop onto his and its all good. Solid 40mb download. Back to my connection and the connection is 1mb usually. Again, only to certain download sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

try using open dns and see if there  is a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Will give it a bash this evening when the connection goes to crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

goodlad wrote: »
    Will give it a bash this evening when the connection goes to crap
    Hi goodlad

I will be unable to advise on your neighbors service but ultimately the position remains as I have advised above. As soon as more information is released in to improving international routing I'll post it up here.

Thanks
    AL

• Advertisement
Advertisement